wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
fabioz
User

Submissions (1)

fabioz will become famous soon enough (26)

Default Meshes Don't Stay Together When I Move Bones

Before I start, I did use the search button. By looking at so many questions, I can see that people around here get mad quickly .

For time-sake, I will not give specifics:
-I create 5 cylinders all on top of eachother, all different meshes (like the wc3 art tool doc said).
-I create 5 different bones within each cylinder.
-I make each of the meshes into skin for each of the bones (like in magos tut).
-I move the bottom bone, the bones and meshes move.
-BUT the meshes dont stick together, and it looks really crappy. (I select bone edit mode) <- Am I supposed to do this?!?
It looks like this:

EDIT:
I went through the tut with the snowman. Im going to try it that way. I think I was doing it right.

Clearify:
-you are supposed to make new cube primatives for each mesh.
-you are supposed to link the MESH to the BONE(cube) <- select mesh first then bone? Does it matter?
-you are supposed to link bones in a line if they are in one cylinder (like pic) do you have to link from bone 1 to bone 2 AND from bone 2 to bone 1 (double link?)? Or just from bone 1 to bone 2

Help:
-When I select all of the bones (cubes). and do the "Configure Controls" should I see something happen? Or am I supposed to save it and reopen it? (I dont think its doing something
-When I go to "More..." -> "User Property Editor" -> "Geometry Properties" -> then I check the "bones" box while selecting all of the bones(cubes) in the select mode. But when I go to the "select by name window, and uncheck the geometry box, the bone(cubes) disappear. So, they arnt boxes...
-When I move a bone(cube) the entire model moves, not just that mesh when I have all of the bones linked.

What am I doing wrong?

Im going to be gone skiing tomarrow, so I wont be able to reply until later.
I hope to hear back!

Last edited by fabioz : 03-01-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more ?s
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
jigrael
Worker Ant

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceBattle Droids Model Competition Winner

...what vertion of max are you using?
IF you are using vertion 5 with arttools:

-You can tell warcraft that even a mesh is a bone...just configure it as a bone in the User Property Editor, meshes configured as bones wont apear ingame nor in previewer. By default all meshes are set as meshes.
-The bones work in heriarchy, if you link bone A to bone B then bone B is the parent and A is the child, so if you move bone B, bone A will move too, if you move bone A, nothing will move...

Hope this helps...if you are using max5 that is...

Last edited by jigrael : 03-01-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Closed Thread