wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Default Warcraft Arena

A simplistic yet very fun & chaotic Arena, with a very quick & easy learning curve, yet truly difficult to master.

Game overview
  • Objective - The goal is simply to survive 6 rounds at any cost & by any means necessary.
  • Randomness - Each round you will be shuffled into random teams, with the occasional FFA now and then. Your enemies become temporary allies, perhaps they prove useful to you this round?
  • Teamwork - In order to survive, you'll need to work together for a common goal, that being survival. However should an ally 'accidentally' die, oh well a tragic sacrifice.
  • Balancer - If teams are unbalanced, the almighty Balancer will step in, aiding the team in the minority. Beware thou he is especially ferocious and battle hungry.
  • Items - There are many items, ranging from scrolls, potions, tomes, base items & legendary artifacts. Investing wisely can make a big difference!

Guide
First time playing? Ok heres a few tips:

First round
  • Generally best to load up on survival items, such as pots & scrolls. Even if you don't end up using them, they'll carry through the next rounds, where you can hopefully build up a steady supply for when you'll need them most.
  • Alternatively you can invest in a big artifact item, or numerous base items. They'll increases your battle capabilities but if you get focused, your probably doomed.
  • Don't go tomes, base items are far superior. Tomes are the last resort, in the odd chance your inventory is full
Future rounds
  • Above all keep yourself alive, but your team's survival is very important. Focusing Heroes together, or healing/protecting your weakest Hero can make alot of difference.
  • Scrolls of protection, scrolls of healing etc. may not be the most appealing items but are very useful & helpful in making your team win and thus ultimately making you survive another round.
Kill score leaders
  • Its quite imperative to make sure nobody reaches 6 points, as obviously they win. Thus sometimes regrettably you may be 'forced' to backstab or teamkilll an ally.
  • On the other hand, if you team has this round in the bag, and you spot an ally on low health, perhaps he doesn't 'deserve' to survive this round, what do you think?
Don't waste items
  • If surviving this round looks futile, such as your teams dead & your left outmatched. Don't bother wasting potions, accept defeat, but preserve your consumables for future rounds, when they can turn the tide.
FFA
  • When you get the odd free for all, remember surviving is the key, so avoid combat. Engage and disengage at your leisure, when it best suites you. Don't fight pointless fights.

Screenshots

Hero Selection:
Zoom

Shopping area, inbetween rounds:
Zoom

The Dead Hills:
ZoomZoom

The Lost Ruins:
ZoomZoomZoom

Pool of Doom:
ZoomZoom

Credits:
- Chainer-, thx for preview image
- Emjlr3, thx for Hero Selection System

thx for reading, I hope you enjoy this game & best of luck!
Attached Files
File Type: w3x Warcraft Arena v1.06.w3x (155.3 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Fulla : 05-26-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Fulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

looks like Sin City text on the minimap image

fun game, needs a few things, but for 2 weeks work not bad
could really use my assistance system to divy out gold properly :)

Needs, IMO:
  • Message displayed to players to anounce what type of round is coming up, or is starting
  • Show minimap, instead of just black, over the arena
  • More arenas!!
  • Random events, like we talked about before
  • Some initiative to fight, and not hide
  • More dueling options, aside form just FFA or 2 Teams
  • Keep leavers in the MB, just make thier name black to show they are no longer there, dont simply remove them
  • Perhaps messages letting ppl know whos in the lead, and to try and stop him at all cost!
  • More winning options, as opposed to simply, first to 6 wins
  • Perhaps bosses randomyl - ex. Team wins, spawn a big bad ass boss, if they kill it in the time frame, they get bonus gold for that round, same with sinle player - just a random suggestion really
  • Hero AI, so you can always have a full game/pick up the slack of leaver, though this would negate the equalizer :(
  • Version info. I have no idea when its updated....

thats all I got for now

Last edited by emjlr3 : 05-01-2008 at 02:43 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
looks like Sin City text on the minimap image

fun game, needs a few things, but for 2 weeks work not bad
could really use my assistance system to divy out gold properly :)

Needs, IMO:
  • Message displayed to players to anounce what type of round is coming up, or is starting
  • Show minimap, instead of just black, over the arena
  • More arenas!!
  • Random events, like we talked about before
  • Some initiative to fight, and not hide
  • More dueling options, aside form just FFA or 2 Teams
  • Keep leavers in the MB, just make thier name black to show they are no longer there, dont simply remove them
  • Perhaps messages letting ppl know whos in the lead, and to try and stop him at all cost!
  • More winning options, as opposed to simply, first to 6 wins
  • Perhaps bosses randomyl - ex. Team wins, spawn a big bad ass boss, if they kill it in the time frame, they get bonus gold for that round, same with sinle player - just a random suggestion really
  • Hero AI, so you can always have a full game/pick up the slack of leaver, though this would negate the equalizer :(
  • Version info. I have no idea when its updated....

thats all I got for now

thx for the feedback.
I've updated it quickly with a version number & some screenshots. Should give ppl a general idea of what to expect.

- Minimap is black, because I set camera bounds, I'll try and get it right, but usually when camera bounds are to small is looks dodgy on the minimap. If you've tried it before, you'll know what I mean.
- More arena, yea working on it :p
- Random events, can't remember talking bout that? Re-jog memory please.
- Initiative to fight, well you do get gold, from kills + with your assist system, you will actually need to be active in combat to acquire a cut of bounties, instead of the 'always get a cut' as it is now.
- More dueling options, yup see things to come list ^
- Leavers in mb, don't really see a reason for them to be there, as their heroes are removed, they no longer play any role in the game.
- More messages, yup gonna add that, a "Player X has taken the lead", "Player X needs 1 more ponit to win, KILL HIM". etc.
- More winning options, yea soon host will be able to pick everything
- Bosses, not so sure, I'm considering a survival mode thou, where you have 1 big team vs a team of comps, but thats about it.
- AI, I tried, but failed. Balancer works out nicely & I think leavers simply being removed is best way.
- Version number, see above.

Also just thought. Think a better victory ending is needed, rather than just ppl X has won, you are defeated.
Something similiar to Uther Party, where the victor stands above all the others + a little music etc.

Last edited by Fulla : 05-01-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

When I checked the thread last night at home it wasn't attached for DL yet, but now that it is I'll give it a test run soon and let you know how it goes!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

• random events such as meteors, tornados, floods, etc. I remember them in Azeroth Arena, they were fun
  • assists would give initiative, but really, the idea is to live, fighting is often counter productive to this, except on rare occasions
  • personal preference to keep leavers in MB I guess
  • Balancer works I guess, still, keeping heroes there would be nice, I might be able to jigger up some AI
  • The instant ending sorta sucks, no time to talk, no real, hey this guy won, or nothing

Also, points is a goofy way to put it, survivals may be a better name

perhaps could also keep track of other things in MB, such as hero level, etc.

also need to add version info. to minimap image

Last edited by emjlr3 : 05-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Cool concept. Looking forward to trying this map out at BNet. Will probably come with a review then.

(1.000th post!)

Edit: My review.

The good
- Fun map, simple gameplay, easy for anybody to learn but hard to master.
- All heroes being Blizzard standard is actually really nice, it takes away the annoyance of having to learn what the spells does first and it more or less balances things out.
- Small selection of items, but those that you can get are actually usefull. No fillers.
- Low filesize so people can fast and easily download the map, it is easy to get a full house.
- Nice preview image.

The bad
- Only 1 arena so far.
- The terrain doesn't look very nice, needs improvements.
- Some of the items needs to be balanced out a little with prices and such.
- Too few gamemodes.
- Lag at the start of each round (might be my own computers fault).

Last edited by ragingspeedhorn : 05-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.
ragingspeedhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

The game was relatively boring. Casters are designed to fail utterly and totally in the FFA modes against heroes like the DH, BM, Paladin, MK, etc. It was very non-exciting, which was probably the biggest killer. It could use a lot of work in making it more dynamic, as it stands it devolved to a state where you ran around in circles to get away from the melee heroes to survive the time limit; that's ridiculous.

I also hate how TKing is a 'part' of the game. Argue against it or whatever you want, but that really pisses me off.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Ok new version released, can read changelog here or in main thread:

Changelog:
v0.95
- A third Arena added - "Pool of Doom"
- A complete terrain overhaul, now with improved selection/shopping areas & much improved arenas. See screenshots in main thread for previews
- Lots of new screenshots added
- Some new items & replacements, check it out!
- Alot of item costs redone, opening more options.
- Alot of Hero Abilities balances, improving the weaker spells.
- Round durations are now randomised between 90-120 seconds

Next patch:
v0.95
- Teams of 2, 2v2v2v2... possibilities
- Fixed team mode/option, where players can form & group up into teams at the start of the game that last indefinetly.
- Number of rounds, duration of rounds, gold/bounty income, experience income will all be able to be set at start.
- and much more...

Last edited by Fulla : 05-06-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

getting better

I think the thing that really bothers me about this game is that when I lose, its not because I felt outplayed, but because I was overhwhelmed, which is a product of the map, not my skill or performance...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

You might want to try 'whoever has the most wins after X rounds is the winner' because though people may still try to TK you and stuff, it's not as bad as everyone ganging up on you (lol I remember Dusk got ganged for like 3 battles in a row).
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Haha, yea he wasn't to happy about that :p

Once I add a fixed teams option in there, it should open up another category. I'd imagine the anti-tk pple would especially like it this way.
Fixed teams as in the teams never change & teamwork is absolutely essential.

Each guy who survives a round would earn a point for his team.
First team to 30-40 points or something wins.

Last edited by Fulla : 05-06-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Yeah that was terrible, made me really emo. :'(
Old 05-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
ArchWorm
User

ArchWorm is on a distinguished road (14)

Send a message via ICQ to ArchWorm

This map will surely have its fan, but:
  • As said before, more dynamism into gameplay
  • Remove collison in safe area, as it's impossible to move when twelve heroes are in it.
  • Make bots learn abilities and act somehow. I played solo w/11 bots and in the first round they dully blocked me. If I were no Warden w/blink learnt my game would have been screwed.
Nuclear Arbitor: this is ur map so if u don't like what ppl say ignore them and make it any way. they'll laugh in ur face and tell u it still sucks afterwards if they don't like it but they're not making it.

Last edited by ArchWorm : 05-09-2008 at 01:18 PM.
ArchWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Quote:
As said before, more dynamism into gameplay

Working on it. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Remove collison in safe area, as it's impossible to move when twelve heroes are in it.

Shops have unlimited range, so dont need to move.

Quote:
Make bots learn abilities and act somehow. I played solo w/11 bots and in the first round they dully blocked me. If I were no Warden w/blink learnt my game would have been screwed.

I tried, making a thread asking advice on this, but little response (on Helper).
I have little to no experience with AI, it would be nice but its not essential, its intended more for multiplayer anyways.

====

Another Update:

Changelog v0.99
  • Dialogues
    - The host can now select several game options, to customize the gameplay.
  • Pool of Doom
    - A big overhaul, the arena is no longer as overly massive & now more tactical.
  • The Balancer
    - He's been nerfed all round partially, he longer cleaves through half a team.
  • Hero Balances
    - Blademaster & Beastmaster have been nerfed slightly
  • Item Balances
    - The higher end items are now slightly cheaper & more useful
    - Serathil corruption bonus lowered
    - Gold Coin has been removed
    - Enchanted Vial is now simply a 4 charged healing/mana potion in one (great value for money)

Last edited by Fulla : 05-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
ArchWorm
User

ArchWorm is on a distinguished road (14)

Send a message via ICQ to ArchWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulla
I tried, making a thread asking advice on this, but little response (on Helper).
I have little to no experience with AI, it would be nice but its not essential, its intended more for multiplayer anyways.
I don't get the problem: since you have default skill system, you can issue an untargeted order to bots to learn an abil. And the rest is simple: move forth when your HP is 100% and move back at 20%, buy books and pots in safe zone whenever good on money.

Any recommendations? E. g. Colloseum mode. A huge, rounded bulk with 17492 HP pops in the arena and teams dash to damage it at most possible. Would you say "does not fit into gameplay style"? Oh, come on who would really care if you make it fun. That's but an "in-fly" example, will think at it more.

Btw, exprate is somewhat too slow. I played 6vs6 but barely reached 4th.That's not comme-il-faut, imo.
Nuclear Arbitor: this is ur map so if u don't like what ppl say ignore them and make it any way. they'll laugh in ur face and tell u it still sucks afterwards if they don't like it but they're not making it.
ArchWorm is offline   Reply With Quote