wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #61
antihero
Evening Commmmmmmissioner

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

Skinning Contest #13 WinnerSkinning contest 2

Yeah, I really only started to work on the shape of the left side of the body so it looks pretty weird right now.

Thats the blizzard design for the axe, I don't think it would be overly practical but it looks cool. The center of gravity is very much so shifted to the blade end; he would have to hold it high up if he had any hopes of balancing it with one hand.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHEEEHAHAHAHAHA
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #62
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Some shading around the eyes under the helmet might do him good. Hes starting to look good, though.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #63
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

just noticed something, i think his jaw is a bit too narrow. wc3 orcs have a very exaggerated lower jaw.. not sure of the exact proportions, but i think it needs to be at least as wide if not more than his cheekbones.
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #64
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

That's the most unthreatening looking Blackhand i've ever seen. We're talking one of the most evil and bloodthirsty Orcs ever, totally subsumed in blood rage and under Gul'Dan's control, yet he looks so peaceful and human.

Disregarding the pose, which i think is probably a poor choice, the face is far too human. Male Orcs have very rectangular faces with their jaws almost as wide as their foreheads. His jaw needs to be wider and his mouth open wider as well, as at the moment he just looks like he's talking rather than roaring.

The pose is, frankly, unthreatening. The axe would look better if it were a bit larger and he was holding it with it's head resting on the ground, like it had a bit of weight to it, as at the moment it looks like it's made out of plastic and weighs very little.

The horns on his helmet need to be more complex and branched.

And finally, the armor is just pathetic. He's not only wearing too much, but it's all smooth and pristine. It looks great, but not for Blackhand. Blackhand's armor is pointy and rough, it's dented from constant use in battle and stained with the blood of his enemies. He also wears very little actual armor, the majority of which being a large fur cloak.

Basically. It's a nice image, but it looks more like a green-skinned human with teething problems who's having an arguement with the viewer than one of the most evil and powerful Orcs to ever live, the scourge of Azeroth and a monster of his kind.

The shading and colors are brilliant though. But it's not Blackhand.

Last edited by Pheonix-IV : 06-06-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Pheonix-IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #65
Malf
I LIKE PIZZA! | >

Submissions (2)

Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)

Send a message via AIM to Malf

Now that's a better looking axe!
Malf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #66
antihero

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

It's a good critique Pheo, but you are judging a picture before it's even close to being finished. It needs to be more gritty you say, well of course it does, but it needs to have well defined shapes first before I go in and add blood, dirt, and scratches.
I am not basing my Blackhand off that picture either. He is based off how Blackhand is depicted in DoC where he is shown wearing armor.

I'll take your other suggestions in mind, but frankly I like the pose and do not plan on changing it.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #67
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

I know i'm judging the picture before it's finished, thats the best time to judge it, because the changes are easiest to make before it's finished. It's far simpler to steer away from problematic areas before the problems are reached, rather than after. And when the next version of the picture comes out, i'll make a new judgement based on that, and will critique it appropriately.

I don't remember what the DoC Blackhand looked like exactly, but i'm fairly sure he wasn't wearing that much armor. He had shoulderpads and a shield on chains similar to what you have there, but no chestplate, i'm sure of that.

It doesn't just need to be more gritty, it needs to be more everything. Warcraft is a very exxagurated universe. More pointy, more emotion, more more MORE!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #68
antihero

Submissions (11)

You're right, he didn't have any sort of leather on this chest. But I was looking at it and I figured even dumbest, most brutish orc would need something to separate the metal from his skin.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 AM   #69
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Why? He's an Orc. Orcs aren't known for wearing armor.

Grunts, Raiders, you name it, almost every Orc unit in Warcraft runs around barechested.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #70
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

They have thick skin.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #71
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

They're mad demon-crazed massively muscled weapons of war.

Armor would be far too wimpy.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #72
antihero

Submissions (11)

I'll see what I can do, I'm not entirely sure how to draw the anatomy from that angle.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #73
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

If you have any well muscled friends, grab a camera and get them to pose for you.