wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #271
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

Quote:
think it would be cool to bring trebutchets -thingies back in some form. People could maybe buy some trebutchet bombardment to some area or something.

Just to be clear, I'll drive to Florida and beat Dusk over the head with a fish if this was to occur.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #272
Viikuna-
User

Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwah
Just to be clear, I'll drive to Florida and beat Dusk over the head with a fish if this was to occur.

Then Ill fly to Florida to protect Dusk from this fish assault ( but only if Dusk is willing to pay my flight ticket )

But hey, it doesnt have to be what trebutchets used to be. Just something new and cool from that trebucthet idea.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #273
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

How bout simply having trebutchets protect the main base.500-1000 AoE around inner towers.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #274
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Because then it makes defending too easy and attacking too difficult. The attackers should always have a slight upper hand in the sieges, otherwise it never boils over and one team will never win.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #275
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
So... You want it incredibly complex, then. (Or you don't know what your talking about, either or) Believe it or not, (knowing you, you're going to argue this point) DoE is a far simpler map than DotA is.
No, not really. I only argue when it comes to certain kinds of topics. Mapmaking is an art, and art has no real answer, because it affects everybody in different ways. My sister said that, but she was talking about graphic design. Actually, I forgot that I made a reply to this. >.>

Let me elaborate. I guess what I mean by "simple" are abilities that don't need to be read more than once. In more recent, newer AoS'es, they seem to have gotten over the top when it comes to tooltips. I usually end up dying once or twice or people complain that I stay in base for too long because I'm trying to understand what the heck my hero can do correctly all the while trying to not let such useful abilities go to waste.

Let me point out though that this was when DoE was still pretty new. I have no idea what it's like now. However, I'm not willing to find out unless my friends literally drag me to play with them. Then I stubbornly become a party pooper, which is why they don't do it. Haha.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 11-08-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #276
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedStar
Let me elaborate. I guess what I mean by "simple" are abilities that don't need to be read more than once.
Dunno, DoE abilities are like that. All players with a brain figure out spells right away, no trouble whatsoever. That is part of the wonder of the condition system, it takes what might be complicated things and makes them simple and easy to grasp. The only thing a player might ever have to ask is "What does X condition do?" Needless to say, many newer DotA heroes have mechanics that players even after asking still don't understand. Recipies are even worse, since it is a memory game that you have to brute force through.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #277
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Huh... Wasn't even thinking about item recipes. I have to admit, remembering yet another horde of recipes in an AoS is kind of irritating. Those have been getting more complex, too.

There is a slight difference in writing too much and writing too little. For DotA, not understanding what certain abilities do (and trust me, I know) isn't the fault of the player. It's IceFrog's fault for not being descriptive enough as a writer. If someone can't understand your writing, it's most likely your fault, because you're the one who wrote it. This also happens when there's too much written- what professional writing calls clutter and should be tossed. I do this, too, though, but I am aware of it and fix it when I can. Some tooltips- even after several updates, are still too vague. I've noticed his mishaps and laziness when it comes to ability tooltips and I am not impressed.

His item tooltips are getting worse, as well. I know that '+20 Attack Speed' is increasing a unit's attack speed by 20%, but excluding the percent symbol(%) when reducing/increasing Attack Speed always refers to a percent should always have a percent. This is especially poor form because in the abilities, he writes Attack Speed and Movement Speed with reference to percent. In contradiction, item tooltips are not. A person's writing should be written in a constant, otherwise people get lost in it and/or get annoyed by it (like me).

Heh. Someone's probably wondering if I do this writing criticism often. I do, but writers judge themselves the hardest. I always edit everything I write (on the forums, too- I'm doing right now). If you think I'm annoyed by this, think about how I much I annoy myself when I'm writing for my map.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 11-08-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #278
Pigma
User

Pigma has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitedstar
His item tooltips are getting worse, as well. I know that '+20 Attack Speed' is increasing a unit's attack speed by 20%, but excluding the percent symbol(%) when reducing/increasing Attack Speed always refers to a percent should always have a percent. This is especially poor form because in the abilities, he writes Attack Speed and Movement Speed with reference to percent.

Huh, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a percentage increase of attack speed in WC3, and therefore +20 Attack Speed is the correct way to describe it?

I mean, with a base of 100 attack speed, +20% attack speed and +20 attack speed would give the same result, 120 attack speed. However, if you would now add +20% attack speed to the 120 attack speed, the result would be 144, but in WC3 I'm pretty sure the result is 140 and therefore +20 Attack Speed is the correct way to describe it.
Pigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #279
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigma
Huh, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a percentage increase of attack speed in WC3, and therefore +20 Attack Speed is the correct way to describe it?

I mean, with a base of 100 attack speed, +20% attack speed and +20 attack speed would give the same result, 120 attack speed. However, if you would now add +20% attack speed to the 120 attack speed, the result would be 144, but in WC3 I'm pretty sure the result is 140 and therefore +20 Attack Speed is the correct way to describe it.

both things exist in Wc3
Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #280
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)

need a guide or 'tips panel' describing buffs like 'ruin', 'blind', 'bleed'. some of them are obvious, some of them could have an explanation of mechanics (ex. how much bleed dmg per sec), others are obscure.
fX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #281
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fX_
need a guide or 'tips panel' describing buffs like 'ruin', 'blind', 'bleed'. some of them are obvious, some of them could have an explanation of mechanics (ex. how much bleed dmg per sec), others are obscure.
They are all explained, actually, in the condition tooltip. (Inflict Ruin on someone, click them, and hover over the buff icon) It is the most clean solution without adding lame quest log stuff that no one reads except the people that don't need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akolyt0r
both things exist in Wc3
There is no such thing as raw attack speed bonus. It is always percent. Raw bonus wouldn't even make sense. What does "+20 attack speed" even mean?

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 11-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #282
Pigma
User

Pigma has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
They are all explained, actually, in the condition tooltip. (Inflict Ruin on someone, click them, and hover over the buff icon) It is the most clean solution without adding lame quest log stuff that no one reads except the people that don't need it.

There is no such thing as raw attack speed bonus. It is always percent. Raw bonus wouldn't even make sense. What does "+20 attack speed" even mean?

Exactly the same as +20 movement speed? ;G

But alright, attack speed is %? Then I supposed attack speed stacks additively, not multiplicatively, which would then make perfect sense.

I prefer saying +20 Attack Speed, though. Not sure why. Might be HoN.
Pigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #283
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigma
Exactly the same as +20 movement speed? ;G
Except that movement speed is quantified by an absolute value. Your character starts with X (integer) movement speed and you can either gain flat values or percent bonuses.

Attack speed is a pure percent quantity. The only absolute value associated to it is "attack cooldown," which gets smaller with diminishing returns the more attack speed you have. +20 attack speed makes no sense even with regard to that, since you'd want a smaller attack cooldown, not a higher one.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #284
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

v1.14c released, see first post for change log link and download.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 11-09-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #285
Baneling_Aspect
User

Baneling_Aspect has little to show at this moment (0)

A very minor detail, but may I suggest making respawns in singleplayer mode instant? I mean, there's no risk of losing even if you do die so there's no real purpose that I can think of to have to wait a minute or so to respawn (and alt-tabbing pauses the game in singleplayer so you can't even do that) when you're just testing somebody out.
Baneling_Aspect is offline   Reply With Quote