wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries > Contests Dispositum
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

This is the official discussion thread for the MC2, the second Master Contest. While it shares the name and attributes of the first Master Contest, it is very different, and so please refrain from any reference to the old, especially along the lines of 'why wasn't MC1 finished?'.

What is the Master Contest?
MC2 is a Warcraft-related art competition run on several levels. The competition has seasons which each follow a theme, such as 'Night Elves'. Each season is split into 3 main stages; concept, modelling, and skinning. Each stage lasts 1 month. So a season should last 3 months. However, a new season is borne with the completion of the previous season's concept phase.

Stage 1, Conception requires participating artists to create 2d art of a unique unit. Multiple images may be entered to offer different perspectives and detail to the unit, and a small (500 words max) text suppliment may also be entered. You should not enter statistics, but rather information concerning the unit's background and characteristics.

Concept entries will be rated on:

[1-3]Relevance to theme and uniqueness.
[1-4]Concept information, including background, name, abilities.
[1-5]Quality use of colour, shading/light and texture.
[1-10]Quality of Drawing, and overall composition.

Total: 4 - 22 (2-7 for theory, 2-15 for art)
So, to attempt points in all areas, provide a detailed colour image, with a short bio. Bear in mind that entries that are blatantly unrelated to a theme will be ignored (ie, anything from a different season or opposing race - PM me if unsure).

The top 3 rated concepts will be rated gold, silver, bronze and proceed to stage 2.

Stage 2, Modelling poses the task of creating an animated 3d model of one of the three concept winners. Models should be low poly (within 50% of Blizzard's reccomended poly budgets | Approx - 1200 for heroes, 800 for elite, 600 for core units). Modellers must produce a UVW with their model, but will not be marked on it.

Models will be rated on:

[1-3]Use of polygons
[1-5]Animation
[1-10]Mesh construction
[1-4]Accuracy to concept

Total 4-22 (2-7 for relevance, 2-15 for art)

The top rated model for each of the three concepts will be awarded gold, silver, bronze by rating. Any tie of rating will put the higher ranked concept above the lower, proceeding to stage 3.

Stage 3, Skinning presents up to 3 models to be textured. Skinners are free to rewrap the model's meshes to aid their texturing as they see fit. Skins may not exceed 512x512 size, with the exception of large units that may use 1024x512 textures.

Skinning will be rated on:

[1-3]Etiquette (small skin, quality of screenshots, team colour)
[1-4]Relevance to concept art
[1-10]Overall quality, composition and consistancy of skin
[1-5]Use of shading, texture and colours.

Total 4-22 (2-7 for relevance, 2-15 for art)

Season 1 will commence NOW, with a deadline of Saturday 19th June. The theme is Naga. Judges will be announced contacted privately at the deadline, to publicly provide their ratings within 3 days of that deadline.

I hope I didn't omit anything.

Be excellent to each other.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #2
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

WH... two things...

You do realize that the deadline you set is the June ACT test date... dont you?

And It's "Master Contest"... not Masters...

I'll see If I can get myself to draw something half decent.

and to anyone who is just getting into drawing who is out there... JOIN. Having a motivating factor is extremely nice some times.

No stats means no number values... right? If so... that makes me happy.

Are there going to be restrictions as to if you win one season... you can't participate in the next?

And It would be nice to describe what "blatently unrelated" means... in more detail... just so that no one gets confused.

I COMMAND YOU ALL TO DRAW/PAINT OR WHATEVER IT IS YOU DO SO THAT WE MAY HAVE A FUN CONTEST!!! GET TO IT!

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Ah, being of British locale, I wasn't aware of that. I will add a week. Updated.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:59 AM   #4
Andy
oh dear

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)

Spanks Whitey, bring on the concepts!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
1000FootKrutch
User

1000FootKrutch has little to show at this moment (0)

I have a question. If you entered the Concept Art part of the season, could you enter the skinning, and 3d section too?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion of Safety
I have a question. If you entered the Concept Art part of the season, could you enter the skinning, and 3d section too?
i believe so... you just cant win more then one SEASON, but i belie its possible to win one concept season, one model season, and one skin season, at least, that would be cool...

*sharpens pencils*

naga eh? here we go... ^^
Old 05-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

I doubt many people would enter all 3 seasons, and even win them if they did!

As 3 entries go through to the next stage, you may enter each stage feely.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
Marco Polaris
User

Marco Polaris is on a distinguished road (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polaris
Zoom (requires log in)

The Naga Reveler
Tier 2 Melee/Support

Of all the nagas customs and practises, few are more unnerving than the Blood Reverie. In celebration of some victory or accomplishment, a collection of slaves or prisoners are brought before an eager audience, typically murlucs, but night elves, high elves, and humans enchanted to breath underwater are prefered. These victims are goaded into a medium size arena and left to wonder at their fate, allowing the naga above to soak in their fear and agitation. When the time is right, the revelers are sent in - gladiator priests trained in the art of the lingering death, armed with their trademark tridents and nets. A terrible slaughter commences, filled with screams of pain and the groans of the dying, but this is not the end. With each kill, another cloud of blood floats across the tides into the nostrils of both revelers and audience - and the true Blood Reverie begins, an intoxication of blood that incites the audience into acts of lust, perversion, and slaughter.
When not performing for their queen or one of her commanders, revelers are typically gathered into small squadron to serve as the elite shock troops of the naga armies, for they are more than skilled enough to pose a threat on the battlefield.

ABILITIES
Ensnare - works just like the Raider's Ensnare.

Snag n' Skewer (Ability, Upgrade) - The best of the revelers know this dangerous trick, and get a perverse joy over the momentary control they gain over their foes when using it. Using a net that is connected to his bracer by a sizable rope, the reveler ensnares the target, then drags the unfortunate up close for a devastating impale-and-twist attack with his trident. Worst of all, the target remains ensnared for the duration of the ability, while the reveler is free to continue moving about.

Bloodfrenzy (Ability, Upgrade) - In battle, many revelers carry a pouch of Bloodfrenzy powder, an artificial version of Blood Reverie that still clouds above the water. Naga within a Bloodfrenzy cloud receive bonuses to attack speed and damage, but a penalty to defense, thanks to their "drunken" state. This ability requires the reveler to channel it, much like the dragonhawk has to channel Aerial Shackles and Cloud.

And there you have my old entry renewed. Please inform me of any errors I have made in my submission (well, that was easy!).
Old 05-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
The Lord
User

The Lord is on a distinguished road (10)

You guys don't know how frustating it is for me, the first contest hasn't been finished..... I know, you said we should refrain any reference, but it's just bad to see your the contest you started going down and another one coming up so early.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #10
Frostigt
User

Frostigt has a spectacular aura about (79)Frostigt has a spectacular aura about (79)Frostigt has a spectacular aura about (79)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord
You guys don't know how frustating it is for me, the first contest hasn't been finished..... I know, you said we should refrain any reference, but it's just bad to see your the contest you started going down and another one coming up so early.
Is early really the right word?

EDIT: I got one idea... Why don't do four parts? a part for the voice actors aswell?

Last edited by Frostigt : 05-12-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #11
Darkangel_56
User

Darkangel_56 has little to show at this moment (0)

go time ^_^ ............... im actually gonna finish an entry this time around.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
Khadhar'phak
User

Khadhar'phak is on a distinguished road (20)

Like I said in the original MC2 thread, I can't draw naga, but I have ideas for at least two other seasons. So I'll Probably enter in those.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #13
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadhar'phak
I can't draw naga, but I have ideas for at least two other seasons. So I'll Probably enter in those.
same here-- i will probubly not create a naga unless i get a good idea... wich is not likely to happone.. becouse well, its naga...

i definetly want enter at all unless i get a really good idea for a unit or hero, only a drawing isnt enough you know...

marco did a good job of presenting a verry complete entry-- allthough he does miss any judging points he might get from coloring
Old 05-12-2004, 11:57 PM   #14
Marco Polaris
User

Marco Polaris is on a distinguished road (10)

Yeah, but there's not much I can do about that besides trying to learn to color by hand right now anyway.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
Nihalanor
User

Nihalanor has little to show at this moment (0)

I present my post for the Naga season.

STORY:

After the high-borne society colapsed and sunk to the bottom of the sea, the survivors soon begun to adapt to the new conditions. And as they did in their Night Elf lives, they soon learned to tame and alter the many creatures surrounding them. Seeing potential in the fallen Night Elves' ability to manipulate the beasts, the great demon lord, Kil'Jaeden, presented his worshipers with an incredibly powerfull beast, the Sankharien. Summoned by the Demon Lord hymself and completely adapted to life in the oceans, the creature possessed a cithinous, impenetrable organic armor similar to that of crabs, and huge claws. Their most terryfing skill, however, was their primitive telepathy and their ability to absorb the life of its victims. The newly evolved Naga soon enlisted the vicious beasts to their side, employing them to spread terror and confusion among their enemies. When unleashed, these creatures' tatic of choice is to silently aproach isolated enemies, paralize them and slowly drain their life to death, quickly returning to their watery envoiroment before nearby enemies even realize what happened.

ABILITIES:

-Water Preference (can be improved by upgrading): The Sankhariens' natural envoiroment is water, and while submerged in shallow or deep water, they can move unseen and become faster. They can only regenerate life and mana while submeged in deep water.

-Cithinous Carapace: this is just like the Crypt Lord's Spiked Carapace, but instead of returning damage, it absorbs part of it.

-Tearing Attacks: The Sankhariens' massive claws give them a small chance to instantly tear an unarmored enemy to shreds.

-Mortal Transis: The creature uses it's primitive telepathy to put an enemy unit to sleep. After that, the Sankharien slowly drains its victim's life and mana. Alltough units friendly to the victim can only awake it by killing the Sankharien, an enemy attack will instantly disrupt the transis. This spell lasts until interrupted or until the victim is dead.

SOUND SET: Obsidian Statue

SKILL FX (might be altered):
-Tearing Attacks: the creature perfurates the enemy with both claws
-Mortal Transis: Two appendices come out of the fangs and attach to the enemy's body, while the eyes glow.

Last edited by Nihalanor : 06-14-2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: New info
Closed Thread