wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Default Elimination Tournament - OPEN BETA!

Elimination Tournament's open beta starts now!

Some history:
Elimination has been my one main project since i started wc3 modding. I started the project more than 2 years ago, and a few months later Elimination had it's first release: Elimination 1,4. It was a Team Deathmatch game where two teams killed eachother using carrion swarms that looked like bullets. Later, Elimination 2,1 was released. And after that 3,1. Elimination continued to evolve, untill i realized the map needed to be remade from scratch. Some of the triggers from years back was still there, it was all made in GUI and had serious lag problems.

But instead of "remaking" it, i created a new map. Using a 3D physics system created by Anitarf and iNfraNe, Elimination Tournament became THE most advanced wc3 map in it's genre.

General Info
Elimination Tournament is a Capture The Flag game that is best described as "Unreal Tournament in Warcraft 3".

There are 6 different arenas to choose from, each with different gameplay. Sneak around in the high grass of the forest, jump between the platforms in burning lava or pick a camping spot in the Trench.

The goal is to capture the enemy flag from the enemy base and bring it back to your own flag (with exception of the Assault arena, where you have to infiltrate the enemy base and place the flag inside!). To do that you will have to defeat the enemy team using weapons such as Minigun, Sniper Rifle, Acid Gun and many more.

There are also a large variety of gadgets to use as your fight the enemy team. Throw a bouncing grenade into the room, or plant a C4 under the enemy tower and wait for it to blow. Place barricades on defensive positions to block enemy fire.

But since most arenas are created for 6v6 games, it is very hard for me to gather enough players for a test. That's why im releasing this Open Beta version for everyone to test: I want to gather as many suggestions and bug reports as possible for the final release!

Elimination has forums at www.clanwenw.tk where you can post suggestions or bug reports. Any feedback is welcome!

Edit:
Elimination Tournament 1.1 has been officially released! Download the map at www.clanwenw.tk or from the attachment to this post!
Attached Files
File Type: w3x EliminationTournament1,1.w3x (1,017.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by GaDDeN : 12-16-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

First impressions, was very impressive :-)

Only managed to get a 3v3, Im sure it would be alot more fun with a 6v6.

Perhaps you will consider also adding choices of 'suits of armor'
Just some simple suggestions>
'Heavy Armor' - Lowers movement speed, reduces damage taken
'Light Armor' - The opposite
etc. etc.

Anyways good job overall
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

In the long development of the Elimination series i have actually tested armor in some version, which worked exactly like that. But i decided not to add it. Why? Because i don't want too much content. That is also one of the reason why i remade the map from scratch. Elimination 3.1 had huge amounts of items and weapons, which only confused new players. I think Elim tournament has a quite nice mix of items, even if there arent many.

Though i must say it would be quite cool to have slow minigunners with high health and quick snipers with low health...
Old 10-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I moved the thread to map testing forum, where it belongs.

I will try to test the map as much as I can. It's a shame you'll be quitting war3 mapping after this is done, I guess we should stall the beta as much as we can. :)
Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

Quote:
Map / Campaign Projects
Talk about your projects in development, release beta tests, finished projects or help someone out by testing their map and giving useful feedback.

Perhaps a change in description of the forum? XD

Hah well i'm in no hurry to end the beta and release. Now players can test the beta and suggest edits, which i will do once enough testin has been done!

Last edited by GaDDeN : 10-08-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

I suggest going over YOUR part of the triggers to find the lag spikes at map setup and fixing them :)
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 10-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

It will be a big pleasure to test your map. Downloading it.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

I finally managed to get a full 6v6 and it was very fun.

I would recommend the following:

- IMO it needs a little more variation/content.
Im always and always will be a sniper person.
So for me all I can do is buy a few grendaes each time I die and go snipe/lob grenades.

Theres nothing else really I can spend my gold on?
I know ure probably trying to prevent the snowball effect in players dominating by outbuying others on gadgets.

Having a few non-consumable but active permenant gadgets could be useful, even if they give minor abilities
Reload Cap - Auto reloads/refreshes attack
Dual Barrel - Next shot will fire twice
Teleporter - Blinks to target point (low range)
etc. etc.

If you made them costing around 100 gold+, would need a few kills to be able to afford one.would be more insteresting if I could go around with e.g. a double shot from time to time.

- You said you disliked overwhelming content.
Now Ive thought about it a bit, when comparing with the old version.
I think the main thing there was the amount of default abilities that overcomplicated it, such as radar,poke,stealth etc.

Again id like to push forward the armor idea.
- standard armor - no bonuses or penalties
- heavy armor - -25% movement speed / -25% damage taken
- light armor - +25% movement speed / +25% damage taken
- camoflauge suit - Changes colours to surroundings / ? penalty
like this spell camoflauge spell (Would be very useful for the grass level)
- regen suit - +1hp regen per sec / ? penalty

With armor it adds a much larger variation.
Some ppl can go heavy armor and allocate themselves to defend, others can go for light armor to run in and steal the flag etc.

Overall thou its still a fun game thou.
I hope you consider my recommendations.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
Hyarion
User

Hyarion is on a distinguished road (14)

I don't know that armour is a brilliant idea, but I agree that Tournament has a bit too little content, and that it WAS the abilities which overcomplicated it for new players. Max of FOUR abilities, including attack is a good thing, since then they can have a finger on each hotkey.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulla
I- IMO it needs a little more variation/content.
Im always and always will be a sniper person.
So for me all I can do is buy a few grendaes each time I die and go snipe/lob grenades.

You can never win the game like this. The game is more about inventing strategies and teamplay then fancy stuff.
What makes the game fun is keep playing it with the same people and then teaming up and taking the flag with different strategies. It's different each game I play it.

Also, each map needs completely different gameplay. F.E. Trench really is a sniper/laser map, while forest is usually better with closer range weapons.
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Actually I always win, mostly cause bnet is full of noobs + im host so no delay.
Every level sniper is fine, grenades act as a 2nd weapon.

You can change weapons from time to time but in it quickly gets repititve.
Gadden can do what he wants, he can leave it as it is, it all up to him.

My favourite 'strategy' is simply sniper with the double damage powerup thing.

-----

Also from other reply, instead of abilities you can have items grant abilities (for hotkeys).
E.g. Stealth Suit grants a windwalk ability etc.

Last edited by Fulla : 10-12-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

I know alot of people prefer sniper over all the other weapons. Why? Because you can easily get a very nice kill / death ratio; its easy to kill people without getting killed. And yes, i think its damn fun to snipe people too.

But the goal of the game is to capture the flag, not to kill the enemy team. It doesnt matter if one team has twice the kills of the other, its still the captures that count.

And that is also the reason why there are no permanent items. All players are equally strong from the beginning of the game untill the last capture. It doesnt matter if you have 50 or 0 kills, you still end up with the same equipment. I'm thinking of adding more items, but they would still use charges. I don't know why you feel you have nothing to use your money for; I allways feel i need more money to purchase everything i want (barricades, cameras etc.).

I also agree that it was the abilities of Elimination 3.1 that ruined it. Having only one ability (jump) makes it ALOT more noob-friendly. If i did add armors, they would be chargable like anything else. Armors would then last untill you died, or took a set amount of damage.

What I personally think after testing the version public:
Assault needs the normal CTF mode, instead of its current "reverse-ctf" mode. Its very hard to new players to understand the goal.

All terrains need some gameplay fixing. The forest terrains (Bunker and Forest) are alittle too open in my opinion; the terrain needs some height variation and other movement blockers. Letting the players walk anywhere just doesnt create nice gameplay.

Weapon balance is good. New players allways say sniper and minigun are overpowered, but that is probably because those are the easier weapons to use. In a game with experienced players those are rarely used.

Shock Grenade should not only disable movement, but also the jump ability. That would increase its efficiency alot, so i'd have to reduce its duration too.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #13
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

Quote:
Shock Grenade should not only disable movement, but also the jump ability. That would increase its efficiency alot, so i'd have to reduce its duration too.
Noway, then it should not disable movement, but only slow it. If a dude is just sitting there its sure to be killed.

I dont agree that forest is too open, but in bunker its too easy to have a score once you capture to flag. Spawnplaces should always be in front in these cases.
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 10-12-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
DeaD_MeN_WalkiN
Robie williams ROFL

DeaD_MeN_WalkiN will become famous soon enough (37)DeaD_MeN_WalkiN will become famous soon enough (37)

Send a message via AIM to DeaD_MeN_WalkiN Send a message via MSN to DeaD_MeN_WalkiN

Cool map, It can also be cooler if:

A- Adding a melee attack, Incase player meet each other instantly from short range.
B-The Jump command doesnt jump over raised ground, Atleast include in the tooltip that it can't jump from bottom to top.

Keep up the good work

EDIT: ++REP

Retired (Well I'm still doing freelance works).

Last edited by DeaD_MeN_WalkiN : 10-13-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

I think its good to have a short tooltip; its too complicated to explain in a tooltip. The ability is supposed to be tested; and after using it once or twice you understand. And since it has no cooldown or "cost" of any kind, thats not a problem.

Melee attack is cool, ive been thinking of adding a damaging effect to the jump ability.
Closed Thread