wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
CeDiL
User

CeDiL has little to show at this moment (1)

Default Interesting?

What would be interesting in a Survival map? What would you like to see in a map where every player has it's own arena and creeps spawn from 3 different ways heading to hero where they fight. What skills should these units have? How should they spawn, please express your opinion so i could judge.
CeDiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Kino
User

Submissions (8)

Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)

From personal experience I can say a few things.

1) Have a good range of threats both AOE and single target. Try not too have too much single target damage/debuffs, it makes games significantly easier as the player count increases.

2) Have encounters that cant be overwhelmed by blind nuke spamming. Make monsters that heal each other and stuff.

3) This one is kinda iffy, but you could create a so called priority system where certain monsters are significantly more dangerous and need to be focus fired first.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
CeDiL
User

Kino this was my initial idea, i was planning to give a random monster charge, to make some of them explode on dead(you don't know which), to make some fast and instant sacrifice, some small big hp big damage, some fast weak hp&damage, some normal ones you will encounter most, as for abilities i would not give anyone for instance debuffs as they would stay for the entire fight, instead i will use abilities that empower other creeps, auras, heals, holyfires etc, dispell. Anything else i missed and could be added?

P.S: The range stuff is already done.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Kino
User

Submissions (8)

Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)

Its all up to you my friend.

Thats all I can do.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
CeDiL
User

Thank you :P Very much.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
tamisrah
User

tamisrah will become famous soon enough (48)tamisrah will become famous soon enough (48)

To Kinorhynkar's 3rd suggestion: The most easy way to achieve something like that would be to give certain units an aura. For example (from a project of mine) necromancers increase nearby undeads life regeneration, demons increase nearby units attack damage and Liches would have chance to resurrect fallen allies immediately.

Although you didn't specifically ask for it, one thing I really want to see in a survival map would be a tanky class that would really have to use abilities (stances, shields, taunts etc) to be tanky. I hate those pure hitpoint/armor tanks.

Last edited by tamisrah : 03-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
tamisrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
CeDiL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamisrah
To Kinorhynkar's 3rd suggestion: The most easy way to achieve something like that would be to give certain units an aura. For example (from a project of mine) necromancers increase nearby undeads life regeneration, demons increase nearby units attack damage and Liches would have chance to resurrect fallen allies immediately.

Although you didn't specifically ask for it, one thing I really want to see in a survival map would be a tanky class that would really have to use abilities (stances, shields, taunts etc) to be tanky. I hate those pure hitpoint/armor tanks.

Yes, i like your tank idea very much, i think i will realise it. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Shade987
User

Submissions (1)

Shade987 is on a distinguished road (19)

You might want to differentiate the ones that explode on death/are fast/have abilities/etc from the others, rather than leaving that unknown. That way the player can develop strategies over time to deal with the different sorts of enemies in different ways, rather than hoping that the monster meleeing them wont explode for huge damage when it dies. Instead, they can figure out how to keep that monster out of melee while still dealing with other dangerous enemies at the same time.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

one way to do that would be to give them some sort of symbol over the monster's head. like in DoWII

Hidden information:

Last edited by Nuclear Arbitor : 03-28-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Nuclear Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
CeDiL
User

Well, honestly i like the way you both think so much, thank you once again, any more ideas?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #11
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

something else from DoWII/CoH is heavy ranged units that have to set up to fire and can only do so in a certain area, like 120 degrees or what ever. might be hard to make field of fire but the root would be pretty easy.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
CeDiL
User

hmm, this can be done
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Shade987
User

Submissions (1)

Shade987 is on a distinguished road (19)

An RPG I worked on a while back had units that had very brief, very powerful enrages, so that it was basically suicide to engage them when they had it and they had to be killed while it was off. That could be interesting.

For example, I had a type of monster that would sometimes cast Enrage, which gave it 300% attack speed bonus and -20% move speed (giving the player a chance to run) for 5 seconds.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

that would also work on players; some unit who can do that, but afterwards needs help to stay alive until they can do it again.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
CeDiL
User

yes this sounds like an awesome boss fight strategy.. dammit i love you wc3c.
Thank you guys so much, please don't stop i will surely credit you all if i use your ideas.