wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Gone_Postal
User

Gone_Postal has little to show at this moment (1)

Default Alpha Team Colour?

I've been fooling around with team colours lately, and I wanted to remove the team colour from a model. I know the .mdx can be converted into and modified as a .mdl to remove the team colour permanently; however, I considered making my own alpha-ed out team colour. I've imported the alpha correctly (I used it as a replaceable texture to make a tree invisible), but it shows up white on units.

Will World Edit check if a team colour has an alpha channel? Could someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong, or why this limitation exists?

PS. Is this even the right place to post this?
Gone_Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_Postal
I considered making my own alpha-ed out team colour. I've imported the alpha correctly (I used it as a replaceable texture to make a tree invisible), but it shows up white on units.

I don't really get what do you mean here.
Nasrudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

You can not alpha out team color. Most wc3 models have the team color applied to parts of the mesh which are detached from the rest of the mesh and which also have a separate material, set to apply team color where it should usually be alphaed out.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
Gone_Postal
User

Gone_Postal has little to show at this moment (1)

Quote:
I don't really get what do you mean here.

I saw in a tutorial that you could apply custom replaceable textures in the object editor. I used the imported alpha skin as a replaceable texture for a tree and, being alpha, the tree turned invisible. When used as a team colour, it didn't make the team coloured parts of the unit invisible. That's about as well as I can explain it right now.

Anyway, TDR, thank you very much. I honestly didn't expect such a complete answer.
Gone_Postal is offline   Reply With Quote