wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
andreasaspenberg
User

andreasaspenberg is on a distinguished road (12)

Default is there a way to create a system thar merge 2 units into 1

i mean like the templars merging into archons. please tell me.
andreasaspenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)

Send a message via MSN to Fledermaus

You could try playing around with the Hippogryph's Pick up Archer ability.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

The Hippo and Archer ability doesn't work if you're trying to merge two units of the same type if I remember correctly. Back when I made this kind of ability for my Theramore Arena map, I had to trigger it.

Last edited by Anitarf : 11-11-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
andreasaspenberg
User

triggering is ok with me but i still need to know how to do it. please tell me.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

The way I did it was to give the unit a single-target ability with a low cast range. When the ability was cast, I'd use a trigger to remove the caster and the target and place a new unit in their place.

I used another trigger to detect the order for the ability and cancel it in case the target was not a valid unit type. I also detected right-click ("smart") orders and if it was a valid unit type for merger, I'd issue the spell order instead.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
andreasaspenberg
User

i did some testing and found out that it does work without triggers and with 2 units of the same type. what you likely did wrong in your map may be the method. the abilities comes as a pair you see. mount hippogryph triggers pick up archer and vise versa. as a result the unit needs both if a unit shall merge with another unit of the same type. as i got what i wanted you are welcome to close this topic but please tell me how you messed up in your own map.(i just want to know.)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)

Send a message via MSN to Fledermaus

Holy crap he figured something out himself!
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
andreasaspenberg
User

i usually figures stuff out myself. i work on warcraft 3 maps about every day when i am working at maximum but, i only come in here to ask a question about once a month.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

As I recall, I assumed that if the unit type was the same, the ability could trigger up itself on the other unit, so I only tried with a single ability. I didn't consider the possibility of giving a unit effectively two identical copies of the ability.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
andreasaspenberg
User

it is 2 different abilities that work together to trigger an effect. mount hippogryph and pick up archer triggers each others. i just tested 2 copies of mount hippogryph on the same unit and then it failed. when however i gave the unit both mount hippogryph and pick up archer it worked. do you understand now?