wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Hosted Projects > The Dawn of Chaos
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
John_Drake
User

Project Leader: DoC

John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)

Default Screenshots December 28, 2010

Using a new technique thought up by Xaran Alamas, units will now change faction skins based on team colour.

Here are two example screenshots featuring Azerothian Footmen and Lordaeron Footmen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheFoundationofthe Alliance.jpg (368.1 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg TheFoundationofthe Alliance2.jpg (401.8 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by John_Drake : 12-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.
John_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Neat and buzzy. Took me a while to differentiate the two types of Footmen <.<

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Gwydal
User

Gwydal has little to show at this moment (4)

just nice to have a sign of life from this project... :)
Gwydal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

Looks great. Keep it up. ^^

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
John_Drake
User

John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)

In case anyone noticed the Lordaeron footman is currently still carrying an Azeroth shield as I'm not done the Lordaeron one yet.

And for orc lovers, here's the new grunt model in Thunderlord colours in his final armour upgrade stage. Base model made from ZeroX's export of the campaign screen grunt.

Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: gif TLGruntNew.gif (120.2 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by John_Drake : 12-30-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Awesome!
But can I please ask you a question... Did you ask ZeroX if its fine from his\her side that you edit his models? Do you have his permission? I'm just really curious about it, especially since I saw you started using WoW rips.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
John_Drake
User

I have not, as it was simply a rigging job on a model that was in the Wc3 files to begin with that was posted for public use and has been credited.

I say simply not to dimish the work it takes to rig a model, as I'm not versed in that or I would've rigged the model files myself.

Also, these ones are not WoW rips, but based on models from the campaign screens in Warcraft 3 (which themselves were based on beta WoW models).

However, we will be using WoW animations on hero units and perhaps some heavily modified geosets.

But I'm going to fire off an e-mail to her (as her and I have talked before) to confirm it is alright with her.

Last edited by John_Drake : 12-30-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Quote:
I have not, as it was simply a rigging job on a model that was in the Wc3 files to begin with that was posted for public use and has been credited.

I say simply not to dimish the work it takes to rig a model, as I'm not versed in that or I would've rigged the model files myself.

But I'm going to fire off an e-mail to her (as her and I have talked before) to confirm it is alright with her.

Okay, that's nice to know. :) Getting permission for stuff is always better than just taking stuff without asking, in my opinion, even if it's a really simple job.

Quote:
Also, these ones are not WoW rips, but based on models from the campaign screens in Warcraft 3 (which themselves were based on beta WoW models).

However, we will be using WoW animations on hero units and perhaps some heavily modified geosets.
I was talking mostly about Lothar and the like. I know it's not the Hive here, but where I spend most of my time modding WC3 at is the Hive and they got some really strict rules against WoW rips as those are illegal. It's copyright infringement, that is.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Xaran Alamas
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Xaran Alamas will become famous soon enough (54)Xaran Alamas will become famous soon enough (54)

Thing is, Blizz have put fan made maps containing WoW models up on their own map spotlight page... and they've provided WoW and SC icons for use with WC3. I think it's safe to take that as tacit confirmation that they really don't care if you use WoW models in WC3 or in SC2, heck at the BlizzCon art panels someone asked Samwise and he said that while he doesn't know the legal answer to the question he things it's cool.

I've always got the impression that as long as you keep it in the family (IE Blizz assets in Blizz games) they really don't mind.

Sp00ky says:
as you know I'm working on a fanfic
HandCLAW says:
RUN, XARAN! RUN!
Xaran Alamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
John_Drake
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolrin
I was talking mostly about Lothar and the like. I know it's not the Hive here, but where I spend most of my time modding WC3 at is the Hive and they got some really strict rules against WoW rips as those are illegal. It's copyright infringement, that is.

Yeah, Lothar is an edit based on the Arthas model from the expansion glue screen by PhoenixI, Xaran Alamas, and myself (done specifically for DoC).

As of yet we haven't added the WoW animations, but that's our plan long term. The issue being the time it takes to do the animations and do them well, for all the things we're going to need for cinematics.

Last edited by John_Drake : 12-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
John_Drake
User

Quote:
Okay, that's nice to know. :) Getting permission for stuff is always better than just taking stuff without asking, in my opinion, even if it's a really simple job.

There's also the fact that when someone posts something publicly, it''s not taking it - it's making use of a community resource and properly crediting it.

Don't confuse me for trying to be combative here, but 'taking' does carry the connotation of theft in this instance, which is far from the case.

Last edited by John_Drake : 12-31-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Well, most people don't like it when people edit their work without permission, a very strong example is General Frank(and myself, partly). They see it as theft of mental property, to which I completely agree.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
John_Drake
User

I can see that for something that someone had made from scratch, but when the material is an edit of someone elses work to begin with, I don't see the train of thought that follows that. That might just be me.

But I can see your viewpoint on the topic, and I respect it.

Now, using any work, no matter the grade, without credit I would agree is theft.

Last edited by John_Drake : 01-01-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Well, it's just that model-editing is like a second form or another 'art' of modeling. It's not 'edited from someone's work' because it's Blizzard's work, and everything we do to mod WC3 is thanks or because of Blizzard. Blizzard provides the base, and we build our own stuff on top of it. Asides from that, just to think of an idea for a model edit already makes it part of your 'mental property'.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
John_Drake
User

Quote:
Well, it's just that model-editing is like a second form or another 'art' of modeling. It's not 'edited from someone's work' because it's Blizzard's work, and everything we do to mod WC3 is thanks or because of Blizzard. Blizzard provides the base, and we build our own stuff on top of it. Asides from that, just to think of an idea for a model edit already makes it part of your 'mental property'.

I can see the concept you're getting at, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I do appreciate having a civil discourse on the forums, though!