wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0
Default [Request] Altar of Blood

In short, I would like a custom Altar model for my upcoming Jungle Troll race/project, which will be called the Altar of Blood. This could probably be done with some geomerging and model editing, although if someone feels really generous a scratch model won't be denied. :P

Basically, I'd like a custom Altar with regular Altar anims, a Troll theme, some vines, bones, skulls, that sort of thing. More detail below.

The Idea

If you look at all the other Altars, there are some similarities (pic and quote by cosmicat):
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicat
Altars: All five altars are symmetrical, feature four "pillar"-like things, and have stairs leading up to a statue or idol of some sort. "Working" animations include a glowing orb thingummy (NE, Naga), a lightning sort of effect (Orc), and lit torches (HU, UD).
Hidden information:
Thus, the Troll altar needs a statue, 4 pillars, stairs, and nurnies.
Table:
Altar ItselfI believe, since it's Jungle Trolls, that the entire Altar should be made of Wood. (aside from the stairs, see below)
Statue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
I say there should be a statue of the Blood God, Hakkar the Souflayer. He would be made of stone. [...]

See, it's LORE. Solid LORE, and I love it. It's not like some random Troll, or just a bunch of trees. It's a singular character that is intensely important to Jungle Troll history. So even though they "got rid of him", and he was so evil, it only makes sense that their culture (read: architecture) would still be influenced by him.
See the Reference Pics below.
Pillars
StairsThese should be large bones, as opposed to wood. Probably the best would be just using the texture from the Orc Catapult (the long bone-spikes on front).
NurniesIn the middle of the altar should be a bubbling cauldron of green gunk, + floating heads (like the Doodad). Arrayed around the front/edges, a series of tiki Torches and Headhunter Spears..

Reference Pics

More info later.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

I might do this, though I'm pretty sure I can't make the statue, mainly because there is no fitting texture for that in WC3. Anything else I can put in there? Perhaps a totem or something? Oh, also, you said that the nurnies should be "in the middle of the altar". But thats where the statue\idol should be, no?

EDIT: Oh, also, this sort of tiki torches should be fine? And 1 more thing - I'm going to make it similar to the Orc altar(it is going to be my base model), is that fine?

~Gladiator, Sacred

Last edited by deolrin : 04-30-2009 at 02:25 PM.
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Oh cool; I'm glad I got this posted last night instead of this morning. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolrin
I might do this, though I'm pretty sure I can't make the statue, mainly because there is no fitting texture for that in WC3.
Actually there is. :P I didn't finish the first post, but part of what I was going to say included that the Statue can basically be the Naga Myrmidon (although it might be a somewhat heavy bit of model editing to make it look like Hakkar).

Anyway, you know the Naga Altar of the Depths? It has that "psuedo-Myrmidon" (with actual hands, no weapon, and big fin/wings). Well, that's all stony. The texture for that, though, is a part of the AotD texture, so I'll have to get someone with Photoshop to cut it out and make it a regular texture. (then again, one can just UV Map the statue to that part of the in-game texture without making a new one, I guess; it's kinda small though)

Quote:
Anything else I can put in there? Perhaps a totem or something? Oh, also, you said that the nurnies should be "in the middle of the altar". But thats where the statue\idol should be, no?
The cauldron goes in the "middle", the torch/spears go around the front edge. But here, lemme draw a pic (yay MSPaint):
Zoom (requires log in)
So the stairs are the bones, vines on the two pillars (two tall ones in front of two short ones, like the opposite of the Undead altar, but still near/next to each other), statue, spear/torch, skulls and stuff... Etc.

I'm still undecided as to what would look cool for the pillars/back, though. Like, we could put a "wall" of vines (like the cliff-side ones) behind the statue? Or some little wooden caps on top of the pillars? Or maybe a bush or two? Etc.

Also, for Team Color (since I didn't mention that)... I would say (since you're basically stealing the pillars from the Night Elf altar) that the double-wrap of TC around each pillar is sufficient (as long as you can see it under the vines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolring
EDIT: Oh, also, this sort of tiki torches should be fine?
Wow, those look really good. I was actually thinking you could just use the doodad Torches or Braziers (maybe wide like the Brazier, but tall/thin like the Torch, = model editing). But if you want to make one "custom" like that, I won't complain. :P

Quote:
And 1 more thing - I'm going to make it similar to the Orc altar(it is going to be my base model), is that fine?
Well, the Orc altar is very stony, so a rewrap to wood (using the Troll Hut logs) might be nice. Also, I'd prefer it to have 4 'obvious' pillars (like H/Ne/U), although the placement is sorta up-in-the-air (see above).
But sure, you can use whatever you want as a base.

~~~

Thanks again. :P

--EDIT--
It seems you have MSN, which might make things easier/faster. I will add you, if you don't mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Altar.JPG (9.7 KB, 152 views)
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 04-30-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Quote:
Actually there is. :P I didn't finish the first post, but part of what I was going to say included that the Statue can basically be the Naga Myrmidon (although it might be a somewhat heavy bit of model editing to make it look like Hakkar).

Okay, so I can use the actual statue from AotD? And change it a bit so it would look like Hakkar? Perhaps merging Hydralisk claws-thingies.

Quote:
Anyway, you know the Naga Altar of the Depths? It has that "psuedo-Myrmidon" (with actual hands, no weapon, and big fin/wings). Well, that's all stony. The texture for that, though, is a part of the AotD texture, so I'll have to get someone with Photoshop to cut it out and make it a regular texture. (then again, one can just UV Map the statue to that part of the in-game texture without making a new one, I guess; it's kinda small though)

Not sure because I never tried, but I guess I can UV map the regular myrmidon to the stone one.

Quote:
The cauldron goes in the "middle", the torch/spears go around the front edge. But here, lemme draw a pic (yay MSPaint):
Zoom (requires log in)
So the stairs are the bones, vines on the two pillars (two tall ones in front of two short ones, like the opposite of the Undead altar, but still near/next to each other), statue, spear/torch, skulls and stuff... Etc.

Neat, that explains everything. The bubbling cauldron could "bubble" in the work anim, that would be ok? Also the torches, they could be lit in the work anim and unlit in the rest of the anims.

Quote:
I'm still undecided as to what would look cool for the pillars/back, though. Like, we could put a "wall" of vines (like the cliff-side ones) behind the statue? Or some little wooden caps on top of the pillars? Or maybe a bush or two? Etc.

Hmm, dunno. We could discuss this on MSN in a later stage I guess.

Quote:
Also, for Team Color (since I didn't mention that)... I would say (since you're basically stealing the pillars from the Night Elf altar) that the double-wrap of TC around each pillar is sufficient (as long as you can see it under the vines).

So the pillars should use that Nelf texture? I though of something else though... The Beta lumber mill texture is in the MPQ so I could use the texture from there, and the TC will be a cloth or something hanging over the pillars\in between the pillars.

Quote:
Wow, those look really good. I was actually thinking you could just use the doodad Torches or Braziers (maybe wide like the Brazier, but tall/thin like the Torch, = model editing). But if you want to make one "custom" like that, I won't complain. :P

Now thinking of it, I'm not even sure I can make it
Although if I will manage, then I will defiantly use them.

Quote:
Well, the Orc altar is very stony, so a rewrap to wood (using the Troll Hut logs) might be nice. Also, I'd prefer it to have 4 'obvious' pillars (like H/Ne/U), although the placement is sorta up-in-the-air (see above).

Now I'm not sure I will use the Orc altar, after I saw your post. But that means that there won't(or at least I think there won't) be an Orc build anim.

Quote:
It seems you have MSN, which might make things easier/faster. I will add you, if you don't mind.

Sure.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
xXm0rpH3usXx
I want my rep back! asap

Submissions (35)

xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)

well, there is no fitting texture, but you could use some nage texture and tint it (as far as you are using max)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Umm, dude. The AoTD has a stony texture. And I'm not using Max, I only edit models, with Oinkertools and Magos.

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
So the pillars should use that Nelf texture? I though of something else though... The Beta lumber mill texture is in the MPQ so I could use the texture from there, and the TC will be a cloth or something hanging over the pillars\in between the pillars.
Hm.. I'm not so sure. The TC on the NE texture would be nice. But the "Troll Hut" one would probably fit in a lot better with everything else.

Here's a bit of a top-down view, to help illustrate what I mean with the pillar placement...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Altars2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	42610

The top 5 are a crude take on the general outline of each altar. The Black Dots are the pillars, and the Gray Square is the statue.

The bottom set is the Troll one. Currently, it's the same shape as the Human Altar, which I would like to avoid (if possible). Somewhat more roundish, or at least not a trapezoid. Also, the statue shouldn't be directly in the middle; in fact, it's kind of supposed to be closer to the back, with the cauldron in the middle.
(Reason being that their Blood God is actually a hated and dark part of their history, so the statue isn't something they currently worship, but is something that is still a huge part of their lives. In fact, if he was covered in vines/ivy that would be even better, though it's alright if he doesn't)

Anyway, on the far right is the thoughts on the pillar placement.
I think this should be either one of 3 things:
  • All bunched up at the back: Similar to the Naga Altar. This provides a more solid backing for the statue (plus, the "wall of vines" doesn't have to be so big, just has to fit between them), and IF a roof is put on, this way it doesn't cover the whole Altar (since no one does that).
  • All bunched up at the front: This is more unique than the first suggestion; no one has done it. Also, I think it lends an air of secrecy or mysticism. Like, "deep in the dark jungles the Trolls worship their vile gods". Kinda fits that phrase, y'know? (still, would be a problem figuring out the roof, or if the back is just "open air")
  • Some other third combination: I haven't thought of; ideas welcome.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

Perhaps, in front of the pillars, statues of a troll on either side, bowing/crouching, holding the cauldron with heads, and Hakkar is standing in the middle, with his arms/blades resting on their necks. It would(could?) be tough to do, but I think it would look cool. :P
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

^Eh, that sounds cool, but a little too EPIC. I mean, every Altar (5 races) has a statue, but just one; if I put, like, 3 on it, it would be like a Campaign building or something. Cool idea, though.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

Thumbs up Done

So here it is. I think its more or less done, if anything needs improving let me know. Death, Decay, Birth, Stand and Portrait animations, all of them are fully working and done. I made the birth using the same way Blizzard made the Orc buildings birth - there is a small part of the building displaying all along, and the Orc Birth stuff.

In order to make the Birth animation functional, you have to import the AltarOfBloodOrcBirth.mdx file, and remove the "war3mapImported\" from its path in the Import Manager.
Attached Files
File Type: mdx AltarofBlood.mdx (75.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: mdx AltarOfBloodOrcBirth.mdx (33.5 KB, 11 views)

~Gladiator, Sacred
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Sah-weet. I'll check it out as soon as I can get out. :P

Just curious, what if I had some other models that needed similar Birth anims (stuff like doodads I'm model-editing for Team Color, Work anims, Build anims, etc); could I do something similar? Is it like a quick fix, something in Magos that I could set to "play _this_ model"?
(Maybe better over MSN)