wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Heres my first WIP of "Prince Arthas and the finding of the runeblade Frostmourne"

Be brutal.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #17
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
AMEN to that!
Though why would they pick only those countries? Why not the whole damn union? :(

I wouldn't enter this anyway though, the prizes don't attract me at all.

Seems to me that they fear real artists (no offense intended to those in the participating regions)

erwt: Really nice angle and emotion you captured there, but Arthas looks about 20 years older. Also it looks like he is standing arms-crossed over a dead nerub, rather than pulling excalibur out of its stoney sleep.
Put some snow on his shoulderpads. Make some cracks in the ice block. Add random lightning in the background for over-effect, it helps.

Overall the spacing and stuff is pretty good, just his limbs take a few seconds to see what they're actually doing (I thought that he was standing with both legs in line and arms crossed)
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

not epic enough... so phails.

Artas vs Illidan fight <3 ... piercing Illidan with frostmourne...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

i think the blade is too straight - frostmourne's all wavy-like and tapers down to a point much higher up.

can't wait to see the finished version, you could really do some nifty stuff with lighting from the sword as it steals his soul >:D

and if anyone gives you shit about how you've made him pull the blade out a the ice rather than picking it up out of the snow, kick them inna nuts because this is just too epic.

Last edited by AnemicRoyalty : 05-15-2008 at 11:08 PM.
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #20
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

perspective of the face = really messed up. That's a hell of a difficult angle to draw a face from, take extra care.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #21
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Lawl thatz not how it happnd.

Nice sketch though, but the pose does feel a bit weird.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #22
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Erwt... I like what you're goin for... but I really don't like that pose... >.>

Also, unless Arthas is a frikkin pansy... he wouldn't be tryin to pull it out like that. Remember, the sword CHOSE him. Not to mention dude's runnin around in damn platemail - feats o strength man.

More maniacal look to the face couldn't hurt either. Perhaps a dead dwarf paid no heed nearby... /shrug

Plus... that angle is too damn heroic... not dark enough. You know what I mean, I"m just being fail w/ words.

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
icbm1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofiron99
erwt: Really nice angle and emotion you captured there, but Arthas looks about 20 years older. Also it looks like he is standing arms-crossed over a dead nerub, rather than pulling excalibur out of its stoney sleep.
Put some snow on his shoulderpads. Make some cracks in the ice block. Add random lightning in the background for over-effect, it helps.

Overall the spacing and stuff is pretty good, just his limbs take a few seconds to see what they're actually doing (I thought that he was standing with both legs in line and arms crossed)
The looking older things is pretty much intentional, though not nescesarily older, i did want him to look scruffy and beat. As for the arms... Its a hard pose to draw, i've been tweaking them for ages and just cant seem to get them perfect. But if operfect isnt accievable; i'll settle for the best i can do. The proper lighting might bring it out some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadcop
not epic enough... so phails.

Artas vs Illidan fight <3 ... piercing Illidan with frostmourne...
Wich is what every other fucktard with a pen'll be drawing. Either that or mr. Icy king on his throne. I want to draw something thats actually interesting, and hasnt been portrayed as much. It was either going to be this or the dreadlord explaining frostmournes corruption to the prince. I went for this becouse of the obvious pun to excalibur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicRoyality
think the blade is too straight - frostmourne's all wavy-like and tapers down to a point much higher up.

can't wait to see the finished version, you could really do some nifty stuff with lighting from the sword as it steals his soul >:D

and if anyone gives you shit about how you've made him pull the blade out a the ice rather than picking it up out of the snow, kick them inna nuts because this is just too epic.
Yeah i havnt detailed the blade at all becouse i didnt have an internet connection when i drew this; i need reference pictures to draw frostmourne properly.

On the lore thing, i do remember frostmourne being incased in a block of ice in the warcraft 3 campaign, am i right? I'm just adding a little flavour twisty to it. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
perspective of the face = really messed up. That's a hell of a difficult angle to draw a face from, take extra care.
Could you perhaps elaborate on that or link me to somewhere where i could learn to do it better, instead of just saying "ur doing it wrong"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Erwt... I like what you're goin for... but I really don't like that pose... >.>

Also, unless Arthas is a frikkin pansy... he wouldn't be tryin to pull it out like that. Remember, the sword CHOSE him. Not to mention dude's runnin around in damn platemail - feats o strength man.

More maniacal look to the face couldn't hurt either. Perhaps a dead dwarf paid no heed nearby... /shrug

Plus... that angle is too damn heroic... not dark enough. You know what I mean, I"m just being fail w/ words.
In his head though, this is still an heroic act. He's not the lich king yet, its the start of his corruption. Well not the verry beginning ofcourse, but its the time where it got real.

---

Got another couple of good ideas for the same scene, with diffrent angles. I'll try and make quickscetches of them so we can pick a favorite.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwtenpeller
Could you perhaps elaborate on that or link me to somewhere where i could learn to do it better, instead of just saying "ur doing it wrong"?
heh, well unfortunately I don't know how to draw from that angle either :P. I usually avoid it, so can't really give you any advice on that.

The only drawing I did from a similar angle (but not that extreme) is this cyberdemon: http://metalpiss.deviantart.com/art/Cyberdemon-74907024
What helped me a lot on that was that I drew it from elementary primitives first. By that I mean that I made all the body parts as boxes, you know. They made a good guideline. Though it still doesn't look very right for some reason...
The best trick for this kind of thing would be, however, a little 3D cheat: instead of drawing those boxes, make them in 3ds max and then paint over. That way you can't go wrong. And don't worry, A LOT of people do that. In the end you won't even notice 3d elements were involved.

Last edited by TDR : 05-16-2008 at 01:08 PM.
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
`deathlegionare

Submissions (5)

`deathlegionare will become famous soon enough (46)`deathlegionare will become famous soon enough (46)

Send a message via AIM to `deathlegionare

looks like he's about to whack his face with the hilt if he pulled it out.

and off topic, erwt, did your msn get hacked or something because you do nothing but send spam.
`deathlegionare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
antihero
Evening Commmmmmmissioner

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

Skinning Contest #13 WinnerSkinning contest 2

Not sure if this is helpful, but it's an awesome picture so I'll post it anyway as use as a possible ref.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg For_the_Emperor_by_kunkka.jpg (133.3 KB, 65 views)

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHEEEHAHAHAHAHA
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

Thats pretty useless, as the face is the real problem. That pose is a lot easyer then the pose i was going for. But like i said before i'm doing another scatch wich could possubly be easyer to pull off, and shows a lot more grazy on athas' behalf. The problem is, i dont really know enough about the story and character to really know what the right expression is. I mean how grazy is arthas at this point?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
SeruK
I'm the One

Submissions (8)

SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)

Send a message via MSN to SeruK

I'd have him pull the sword out of Muradin rather than the iceblock; not only more accurate but also heavy amounts of awesome.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #29
Halnodor2
User

Halnodor2 is on a distinguished road (12)

Add Murdian in the back ground some how?
Life is like cookie. With the dough being money and the chocolate chips as women its all good, until you get fat.
Halnodor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #30
Vig0r
Crabpork

Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)

Send a message via MSN to Vig0r

Arthas doesn't have a beard?

That guy sure has one. That, or my eyes are decieving me again.

Last edited by Vig0r : 05-19-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Vig0r is offline   Reply With Quote