wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
wyrmlord
User

Submissions (2)

wyrmlord has a spectacular aura about (77)wyrmlord has a spectacular aura about (77)wyrmlord has a spectacular aura about (77)

From looking at other comments, I think you would want a step-by-step instructions on how to do something simple, and then work your way to more complex stuff. I would also suggest making the documentation look more user-friendly by maybe putting the file in HTML or non-txt type of file. I haven't actually used the program so I can't give you suggestions on that.

Tired of boring old GUI? Want to learn JASS? Take a look at these tutorials.
wyrmlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

BlackDoom will become famous soon enough (44)BlackDoom will become famous soon enough (44)

Send a message via MSN to BlackDoom Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDoom

I did figure that out, wyrmlord... Yet developing a tool by yourself an trying your best "out there" is not so easy... True, it's not CIA I work for... and W3IR is not NASA software, yet I am really involved...

I will try that step-by-step tutorial idea... Though I fear it will not be too different from the current one - W3IR has complex routines to fulfill multiple tasks... You can't keep too simple a versatile program.

I have no beacon in these waters of solitude, shored by cliffs of despair, plains of emptiness and continents of defiance.
Should I sink?... perhaps it could put an end to my torment... perhaps it would not...

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C
Non-W3 work: ThemeXP.org Customize.org
BlackDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

I'd just like to suggest something:

Maybe allow customised borders to be placed? Those Photoshop documents could be TGAs, and we just modify them and voila, we have custom borders.
That would be VERY useful for UI conversions in campaign and other things.
WILL THE ALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

BlackDoom will become famous soon enough (44)BlackDoom will become famous soon enough (44)

Idea

Well... If I would keep on implementing dynamic features, it would be harder and harder to keep simple both the routines and tutorials.

Yes, it's a good idea and I see it as perfectly reasonable, yet it would complicate things... And would significantly raise the effort put in by moderators...

Take it this way:
- you can border large amounts of files with barely a few clicks
- you can (perhaps could) use various border types
- you can have all the icon formats required

Think how many so called "noobs" would flood the resource sections of THW and WC3C with "state of the art" borders with icons like some rapper or any other CnP "design"... THW and WC3C lack moderators anyway... Why increase the stress on those that still hang around?

I'll keep your suggestion in mind. As I am not at my place now, would you be so kind to e-mail this suggestion to the W3IR e-mail address? Just to keep things all together.

P.S.: If you REALLY want to use different borders, you are able to do so. Just replace the PSD files I supplied in the download archive with PSD files having 1 layer (to keep things simple) and place them in the "C:\W3Actions\PSDLayers\" folder. I also placed some Photoshop actions with W3IR, so you could use them instead (along with Adobe Bridge, if you use Photoshop CS / CS2). So that would be partially taken care of.

Why are you people so fond to TGA? Get IrfanView and convert the PSD to TGA. That's it. Or, use a blank white 64x64 image and add all the borders to it. Choose TGA as output type and voila - you got the borders as TGA.

Anyhow - the idea will be used in a future version. Not next, perhaps, yet it will be implemented. Promise!
(E-mail it so I do not have the chance to forget about it! :P)

I have no beacon in these waters of solitude, shored by cliffs of despair, plains of emptiness and continents of defiance.
Should I sink?... perhaps it could put an end to my torment... perhaps it would not...

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C

Last edited by BlackDoom : 02-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #20
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

Only problem with inrfanview, which is the main reason why I doN,t use it anymore, is it removes transparency in TGAs.
I was only suggesting TGAs so ppl without PS could edit them, but for now this tool is still extremly useful, fast, and can help many projects.

From what I understand, you can edit the border images with PS anyways, so I guess some, if not most, can make their own borders for conversions and all that.

For now the only thing this tool needs is a step-by-step, idiot-proof tutorial. Which you are working on anyway.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

Yes... I will be making it available with W3IR v1.3.2 - the tutorial I mean.

Note for every one: if you wait so much to have like 500 icons to border, while processing them W3IR will hang. Why? It's a single thread application. Because I try to update the information displayed, it goes into "Not responding".
Don't shut it down. Wait for it to finish its work. The files are anyway saved in the output folder, so you could see for yourself that it does work despite the apparent "crash".

And about the Alpha in TGA - I did not think about that... W3IR only works with 24bpp images... Including the output TGA. I left the Alpha work for Warcraft3 Viewer, to ensure a valid final BLP file. So... Yes - I will also put the TGA files in the download archive next time.

On a second thought... The idea with custom border files doesn't seem to work... for DISBTN, PASBTN and DISPASBTN borders I don't even USE image files - I managed to develop 3 routines that return the luminosity of a pixel in the final image based on it's coordinates. So... it would REALLY make my life hell to implement them.

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C

Last edited by BlackDoom : 02-03-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #22
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

I tried some of the icons I used with your tool ingame.

the icons were completly scraped, draker in some places, distorted in others, and they even gave a fatal error.

Last edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY : 02-04-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #23
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

Send me an e-mail with them. I'll see what I can do about it.
It may be something about color-depth - it worked fine for me...
Then again, nothing is perfectly safe and I am not perfect, so my code could be wrong. Let me see the files, please. PM or e-mail.

Also, don't forget to include the error reports. Since it gave you a fatal error (W3IR or W3???).

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C

Last edited by BlackDoom : 02-04-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

Okay, here are some of the faulty icons but they didn't give me a crash this time. I think only a certain icon gave me that crash, but I replaced it with a working icon, unfortunatly.

Oh, and the model editor can,t load them. It usually just creates a plane with the icon as a texture, but it said "texture creation failed".
Attached Files
File Type: tga FirescorpionBTN.tga (12.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: tga FirescorpionDISBTN.tga (9.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: tga FirescorpionPASBTN.tga (9.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: tga FirescorpionAUTO.tga (12.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #25
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY, did you notice the piece of information stating that W3IR only outputs 24bpp images? Thus, without any Alpha information? (the Alpha layer implies a 32bpp image format)

Judging by what W3IR should do... It should not do anything wrong. I remember placing this info - both in the ReadMe and in the promo image - that W3IR only works with 24bpp images.

What were the input files?
If these were the input files... I don't know - I did not re-bordered them as they already had the borders, so I just converted them to BLP with W3V and then W3V was able to view them without any issue. That, after W3V added the Alpha channel.

And what model editor are you talking about? What does it say about the input file format?

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #26
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

the war 3 magos model editor.

I don,t really know anything about 24bpp images. So I'm guessing the problem was there.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #27
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

Well... If the input files were having an Alpha layer then yes, your input files to W3IR were 32bpp images. That's what crashed W3IR or lead to invalid results.

I only implemented the 24bpp support as you are working with final design results... And as I meant not to create faulty BLP files. I leave all the Alpha adding to W3V.

As a matter of fact, I plan to implement BLP conversion routines in the next major version of W3IR. With some luck, this will be available next week. TheProphet will have a major influence there... And he will also be credited as should!

Anyway... Hope you finally made that files work... Let me know!

P.S.: About 24bpp images: use any image viewer and check wetter they were 24bpp or not.

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C

Last edited by BlackDoom : 02-05-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #28
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

I'd suggest adding a message when a file is 32bpp, so anyone would know.
AS in
"the following files could not be bordered :(file here) because they are 32bpp images. Try removing the alpha channel"

unless you can't detect a 32bpp image.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #29
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

I'll do that. I remember I tried to, yet... Anyway, this shall get implemented.

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #30
BlackDoom
User

Submissions (3)

32bpp fixed. Now with support for 24/32bpp input images.
One interface bug removed.
This week I'll work on the documentation.
I can't do any development tough as I am not at my place anymore (in dormitory right now)...

W3IR v1.3.2 has got to wait a bit.

W3IR on THW on WC3C
My work on THW & on WC3C