wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Project Recruitment
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default Create a Hero for my Dungeon.

(4)vsUndead is an open-source map in development.

I created 3 heroes and finished 5 out of 8 levels.
ALL game mechanics is finished.

I would like to concentrate on game balancing and boss scripting and let other people add as many heroes as possible.

This is a simple game and hero requirements are not high.
Let us make this game together in a true open-source manner.

Map location:
(4)vsUndead - Dungeon

Please post your hero ideas in this thread before starting any work.
Name the unit model you are going to use and basic description of spells, and if possible describe the way you plan on implementing them.
In order to prevent misunderstandings before starting your work you must wait for at least one reply/comment on your ideas.

Download map documents to help you understand hot to create your hero.
TESH syntax highlighting script for available functions is also included.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z 4vsUndead Documents.7z (88.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by cohadar : 12-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

what types of abilities are not allowed; eg long range teleport
Nuclear Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Arbitor
what types of abilities are not allowed; eg long range teleport
Everyone can buy blink scroll item.
Game is divided into dungeons and I custom-coded that blink to prevent abuse (blinking over dungeon walls)

Long range teleport really has no use in this game.

But in general there are no "forbidden" types of spells.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Okay, let me get the ball rolling:

Hero: Blood Knight
Model: Blood Elf Lieutenant

Innate: Life Steal - The Blood Knight regains life equal to a percentage of the damage he deals.
Skill 1: Battle Frenzy - The Blood Knight attacks faster, but takes more damage for a duration.
Skill 2: Power Blast - Damages and temporarily slows all nearby enemy units.
Skill 3: Slaying Zeal - Target unit regains some mana every time it kills an enemy unit.
Ultimate: Retribution - Target unit is dealt damage proportional to the amount of hit points the Blood Knight lacks.

Code: '1A' '1a'

Last edited by Anitarf : 12-06-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Present for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-H-KJRYbw

Please use lowercase 'a' for hero and spells:
good - 'H1a1', 'A1ax'
bad - 'H1A1', 'A1Ax'

I reserve uppercase letters for some other stuff, and since this is joined project avoiding collision in very important.

Btw I hope you use a lot of blood splattering animations

On my side I finished dungeon level 3 scripting, doing dungeon 4 now.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

A question: considering how you do your buffs using standard wc3 buff spells that are not stackable, there is the possibility of conflict if two users base their buff spells on the same base buff spell. I ran into this problem when making the third skill for my hero, I wanted to use inner fire but then realized that someone else might want to use it too.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
A question: considering how you do your buffs using standard wc3 buff spells that are not stackable, there is the possibility of conflict if two users base their buff spells on the same base buff spell. I ran into this problem when making the third skill for my hero, I wanted to use inner fire but then realized that someone else might want to use it too.

A good point, especially considering that I use inner fire for tome bonuses....

Also note that there is a Buff library in the map (with just one function for monitoring passive bonus buffs) that I planned to expand as I go along.
I guess importing a tried solution would be a better alternative.

Give me some time to explore ABuff, from first look it is an overkill for this type of map,
one of my main goals is to keep things simple, but in the long run I guess a limited version of ABuff will be required.

I can tell you right away that I don't need custom auras or any type of damage detection.
I didn't even want to import my own ORBEngine or PUI into the map to force myself to keep it simple. This map is not DoE like, it is X Hero Siege like....

Like I said give me some time to explore ABuff and see what is needed and what not.
Than it will be more work for you because you asked for it
Make your spell with some other buff as a temporary solution for now.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Well, I could write an aura-based triggered buff spell without using a system, but such a spell would not be dispellable. If that's not an issue (do enemy units even have dispel?) then there's no problem.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

They don't, maybe the final boss will have, maybe.

Just make it in any way you can atm.
We will see how things develop in the future.

I would really like we keep things as simple as possible.
As we both know complicated triggering does not guarantee map success.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Updated documentation.

Manual has been split into 3 parts.
Wrote TESH syntax highlighting script for all systems present in the map. (makes coding a lot easier)

Collapse JASS:
// Trig
function Trig_SpellEffect takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_HeroSkill takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_UnitEntersMap takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_UnitDeath takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_SpecificUnitDeath takes code actionFunct, unit whichUnit returns integer
function Trig_UnitDeathPlayer takes player p, code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_PickupItem takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_DropItem takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_UseItem takes code condFunc, code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_TimerSingle takes code actionFunct, real timeout returns integer
function Trig_TimerPeriodic takes code actionFunct, real period returns integer
function Trig_TimeOfDay takes code actionFunct, real time returns integer
function Trig_PlayersLeave takes code actionFunct returns integer
function Trig_EnterRect takes code condFunc, code actionFunct, region r returns integer
function Trig_TimerOne takes code actionFunct returns integer

// TT
function TT_GetData takes nothing returns integer
function TT_GetTimerDialog takes nothing returns timerdialog
function TT_Start takes code userFunc, integer data returns nothing
function TT_StartEx takes code userFunc, integer data, real period returns nothing
function TT_Once takes code userFunc, integer data, real timeout returns nothing
function TT_StartTimerDialog takes code userFunc, integer data, real timeout returns timerdialog

// PUI
function GetUnitIndex takes unit whichUnit returns integer
function GetUnitId takes unit whichUnit returns integer
function GetIndexUnit takes integer index returns unit

// FX
function FX_XY takes string modelName, real x, real y returns nothing
function FX_XYTimed takes string modelName, real x, real y, real duration returns nothing
function FX_Target takes string modelName, widget targetWidget, string attachmentPoint returns nothing
function FX_TargetTimed takes string modelName, widget targetWidget, string attachmentPoint, real duration returns nothing

// TextTag
function TextTag_XY takes real x, real y, string text, string color returns nothing
function TextTag_Unit takes unit whichUnit, string text, string color returns nothing
function TextTag_GoldBounty takes unit whichUnit, integer bounty, player killer returns nothing
function TextTag_LumberBounty takes unit whichUnit, integer bounty, player killer returns nothing
function TextTag_ManaBurn takes unit whichUnit, integer dmg returns nothing
function TextTag_Miss takes unit whichUnit returns nothing
function TextTag_CriticalStrike takes unit whichUnit, integer dmg returns nothing

// Message
function Message_ToAll takes string message returns nothing
function Message_ToPlayer takes player p, string message returns nothing
function Message_Timed takes real duration, string message returns nothing
function Message_Debug takes string message returns nothing
function Message_QuestFailed takes string message returns nothing
function Message_QuestCompleted takes string message returns nothing
function Message_SimError takes player ForPlayer, string msg returns nothing

// Group
function Group_EnemiesAroundUnit takes unit caster, real radius returns group
function Group_EnemiesAroundXY takes player p, real x, real y, real radius returns group
function Group_AlliesAroundUnit takes unit caster, real radius returns group
function Group_AlliesAroundXY takes player p, real x, real y, real radius returns group

// Dummy
function Dummy_Create0 takes player p, real x, real y, real face, integer abilityId, integer level returns unit
function Dummy_Create1 takes unit caster, integer abilityId, integer level returns unit
function Dummy_Clone takes unit dummy returns unit
function Dummy_CastOnGroup takes unit dummy, integer orderId, group g returns nothing
Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

I have attached a map with the finished Blood Knight. I completed my work before I saw your last private message, so I'm not using a regular buff spell for Slaying Zeal like you suggested, but an aura-based triggered spell. I wrote the spell without using ABuff, which took more work, but I guess this makes it "simpler" so that's okay.

Edit: Just realized the innate passive does not display an icon on the command card, I'm sure you can fix that with a dummy ability quickly enough on your own.
Attached Files
File Type: w3x (4)vsUndead 2011-11-29.w3x (260.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Anitarf : 12-06-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

This is going to sound hard.
Hero Score: 2/10

Misleading icons, no spell synergy, spells not connected to hero theme.
I mean Anitarf wtf? You wasted too much time on buff problems and ignored everything else.
You can do 30 times better than this.

Passive Ability: vampiric
There is no icon! Could not bothered to create a dummy icon here?

Better Passive Ability: Blood Shield (you have a strength hero with a shield and did not make a shield spell?)
Blocks a negative spell that an enemy casts on a hero for the price of some hp.
Spell shield + reduce some hp + nice blood animation instead of default spell shield animation

First Spell: Battle Frenzy
Why helm icon when it has sword attachment?
I don't mind it being a default spell but this could have been so much better

Better First Spell: Blood Blade
(name goes well with your attachment no?)
Hero gains bonus damage and vampiric attack.
But blood Blade requires combat, you lose hp if you are not fighting.
This can be done with vampiric potion ability + your sword attachment + passive negative hp regen

Second Spell: Power Blast
This is not connected to blood lore. Where are blood animations?

Better Second Spell: Blood Bath
Hero uses percent of his blood to damage enemies around him.
Hero loses hp and enemies around him get damaged for that hp + some nice blood effects

Third Spell: Slaying Zeal
Ok this has really nothing to do with blood lore, a mana spell on a str blood hero?
Using cleave icon with this???

Better Third Spell: Blood Frenzy
Hero attack faster and gains cleave attack but takes more damage.
Frenzy + added cleave bonus
(you don't even need to hide passive cleave icon, there is enough place in UI)

Ultimate Spell: Retribution
Using single cast spell for ultimate? Why is this not some form of avatar spell?
Again no blood animations?

Better Ultimate Spell: Blood Vengeance
Same as Retribution only has over-time effect.
Deals missing hp/10 extra damage during 30 seconds.
Some red hand attachments maybe.

=====================================

All in all Anitarf it seems like you just did not care enough to do a proper job.

EDIT:
It is my fault really, should have paid more attention to your spell descriptions and said something earlier.
Should have defined a stronger discussion requirements before any work begins, to avoid this stuff from happening.
I guess good ideas are more important than coding skills.
It would probably also be good to make people submit map each time they complete one of the spells for early feedback.
I suck as open-source leader.

I am really sorry for this Anitarf.

Last edited by cohadar : 12-06-2011 at 05:58 PM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

It is unfortunate that you did not voice your concerns earlier, given that I already posted full descriptions of all abilities in my very first post in this thread. Furthermore, I apologize if the name I have chosen for the hero was misleading; you seem to have gotten a very specific idea about what the hero was supposed to be like, which seems to be the basis for most of your disappointment. I am not familiar with any specific blood knight lore, it just seemed like a fitting name for an aggressive heavy melee hero.

In any case, the map is open source, so feel free to improve the hero as you wish.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Like I said, my fault entirely, open-source has its pitfalls and I am not experienced enough with organizing.

The ideas I gave are not specific, I just came up with them as alternatives.
It is the feedback discussion we should have had from the beginning.
Much easier to edit text than spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
In any case, the map is open source, so feel free to improve the hero as you wish.
Ah, the fuck off cohadar part, I deserve it.

It would be great if you could find enough will for us to try this again from the start.
Every beginning is hard, but this one was really tough.

If not, well I guess I am fucked considering joined developing.
I doubt that anyone would be willing to try to walk the path where Anitarf can fail.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Shade987
User

Submissions (1)

Shade987 is on a distinguished road (19)

How do you feel about heroes created primarily in GUI?