wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
sas_Skorpion
There is truth in my lies

sas_Skorpion will become famous soon enough (30)sas_Skorpion will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via MSN to sas_Skorpion
Default Host Deafeat Problem

Hello me again :P
I have a problem with my map i setup the winning conditions based on lifes ... here is the idea that i had

4 teams, each team haves 30 lives that are split on 3 players ...
If there are 3 players in one team each haves 10,if 2 each 15,if 1 30 lives ...
when the lives of a player reach 0 he is defeated but the teamates keep n playing until the whole team lives reach 0 but then i thought if the host loses in the early game he gets defeated and leaves the game it would cause a disconnection for the other players ... anybody got an idea to fix this ? 2 teams would sound too much like dota ... i don't like making copies

P.S.
+REP to every good idea
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

How about not kicking them and just making them players which can't do anything except observe?

So basically turn off all triggers headed towards that team and *optional* change their colours to gray to signify they're dead. That way, they're in the game, just not playing.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
sas_Skorpion

sas_Skorpion will become famous soon enough (30)sas_Skorpion will become famous soon enough (30)

Well u see ... that is a good idea but ... honestly u think a guy who just got defeated will stay and watch how the others play ? :P i don't think so but however it is a nice idea if there is no other option ill probably put that one :P + REP
Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

Well the worst hosts are noobs who leave when they die, assuming they aren't the last person. They won't learn and may make the same silly mistakes over and over and over.

In Island Defense (Vampirism, but simply better), mosts hosts are competent enough to stay for the end of the game.

Maybe if you lose, you can get a mini game of some sort to encourage people to stay.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
sas_Skorpion

I don't have space for that :( did u maybe check out the pictures i posted ? :P if u haven't here is the link check out the project :) http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=95061
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Nice map, I'd like to see it out one day. You're right about the no mini-games... the map is a little short on space... but hey, an idea to keep host in...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
sas_Skorpion

Well about the map if it goes well ... tomorrow i have the sign up exam for the university so i'm kinda busy but i think in a week i should be able to restore the trigger data loss and add the missing stuff exept this problem and then i only need some good item (20 more) and hero (15 more) ideas ... but thats not something for this forum :P maybe if starts a discussion on the map thread it will help a lot :D and about this thing to keep the host ... the problem is that maybe guyz dont want to wait they want to play a new game ... i thought about ffa but then i realized it it would be worse then 11 ppl would get disced :S ... if i put 2 teams its too dota thing but i see it is the only good option for now :)
Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

Dont kick them after they have 0 lives. Dont have lives at all. Just count who dies the most times at the end.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
sas_Skorpion

That's also a nice idea (+rep) but you know what worries me ... what will be the point of the map then ? ... i mean when will it end ? if i put a frag limit that would look like a copy of angel arena cause its similar :( (im realy stuck in this)

Last edited by sas_Skorpion : 07-02-2007 at 12:59 AM.
sas_Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

You know, as long as any other player in the game can host, he will automaticaly take over the game when the host leaves.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Yeah but it's more likely there won't be a designatable host...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
CommanderZ
Ayreonaut

Submissions (1)

CommanderZ will become famous soon enough (48)CommanderZ will become famous soon enough (48)

Send a message via ICQ to CommanderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas_Skorpion
That's also a nice idea (+rep) but you know what worries me ... what will be the point of the map then ? ... i mean when will it end ? if i put a frag limit that would look like a copy of angel arena cause its similar :( (im realy stuck in this)

There is a lot of possibilities - time (game ends after 45 minutes...), total frag count limit (some number which cannot be divided by number of teams to avoid ties, for example 25 for three teams), level limit (game end when first hero reaches level 25, the team with most frags may win still. But it would be nice to make levelling the global goal. Of course killing heroes would generate exp)...

Last edited by CommanderZ : 07-02-2007 at 12:43 PM.
CommanderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
TripX
User

TripX has little to show at this moment (3)

Send a message via MSN to TripX

Hmm, interesting problem. But still there are allot of solutions in this :

Frag limit is good, especially if the players can choose the ammout of frags.
Timelimit is also great. I would recommend a settable time limit too.

You can combine these with a nice counter that counts the % of killings and deaths. From that, you could have a team ranking and a player ranking to.

Also, you can use tokens when killing. Custom rounds and duels can also determinate :
- players play for some time, develop
- after the time expires they match each other in a face to face duel
- can be done within the teams to determinate the teams strongest and
- after the teams strongest go against other team's strongest.

Umm, then there is a possibility to make it with fast killing efficiency.
Like :
- the red team has the 15 frags in 10 minutes
- the blue team has 20 frags in 20 minutes
- of course that the red ones are having some good tactics in there

Ok, this is all I have right now, I might come out with other ideas to later on and post them up if you still need.

I hope I helped. :)

By the way, nice map! Way to go! :)

Respect and Regards ~ Christina.

Currently working on :The Citadel of Ages: Revenge on Hell
~ Progress : 45%~
Urgent Needs :
- Main Character Model with Animations!-
- Someone who's good with Cinematics!-
TripX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
You know, as long as any other player in the game can host, he will automaticaly take over the game when the host leaves.

Not so. I have a hypothesis that that ONLY happens when the player quits in a proper way. If they disconnect, WC3 crashes, or exit the game (rather than quitting), then it seems that that quite a lot of the time, if not all the time, another player cannot take over (maybe because when the host quits the game in progress, WC3 carries out actions on leaving to hand over hosting to someone else).

Many a time have I had the host leave and the game end, despite being able to host.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
sas_Skorpion

Ok ... i checked the ideas and i like them realy much !!!
Especialy this one
Quote:
Also, you can use tokens when killing. Custom rounds and duels can also determinate :
- players play for some time, develop
- after the time expires they match each other in a face to face duel
- can be done within the teams to determinate the teams strongest and
- after the teams strongest go against other team's strongest.

Umm, then there is a possibility to make it with fast killing efficiency.
Like :
- the red team has the 15 frags in 10 minutes
- the blue team has 20 frags in 20 minutes
- of course that the red ones are having some good tactics in there
i was thinking to make something like this ... Team duels to establish the chapion the the frags / time to determine te best player from a team :D so the player that killed the most in 1 team should be declared as champion of that team and he faces the other champions ... meanwhile the others can have a ffa while the championship goes ... i think i have enough space on the sides to make those arenas :) and btw ... cap griff i tested many disc ways and whenever the host player leaves or for example ... ME ... the router resets the connection every 6 hours to update and lighten the connection an others get disced when it happens but there is always the option of another host but that is usualy rare ... who can host hosts his own map :D but youre realy of great help guyz ...

THX THX THX

Last edited by sas_Skorpion : 07-03-2007 at 10:57 AM.
sas_Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote