wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Cinematics
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Hyarion
User

Hyarion is on a distinguished road (14)

Default EMPIRE: A new cinematic series.

When I entered Blizzards cinematic contest, I decided to make the entry the first part of a series. (As if it'll ever be finished. Heh.)
Not up to the quality of the winning entries, but better than some of the crap people sent in. (Take a look at "The Sacred Lands". It's a cinematic without a SINGLE "Camera- Apply Camera Object" action in it.)

Anyway, mine isn't great, but it's pretty good, a bit of fun for when you can spare five minutes or so.
If you have any comments, leave them HERE, NOT on wc3sear.ch, since due to an unfortunate bug I can't access the map archive from my home computer. (And thus can't view any comments left there.)
Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyarion
(Take a look at "The Sacred Lands". It's a cinematic without a SINGLE "Camera- Apply Camera Object" action in it.)
Now you make it sound like that is bad :( Ours didnt have a single action like that either.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Hyarion
User

No, you used better and more complex methods, however 97% of watchable cinematics DO use that action.

And 77% of people make up statistics on the spot. :-P
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

And another 80% take them as facts, then telling other people about how 97% of the makers use that action!!
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Signatures can have dimensions no larger than 500x150 and sizes no larger than 300kb. Animated signatures are permitted. Usual rules for content apply.

Hyarion please fix your signature to meet that rule. Thank you.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Hyarion
User

Fixed.
Since you spent the time needed to remind me about my sig, couldn't you at LEAST have checked the cinematic? ;-)
Ah well, I suppose you guys are busy...

Congratulations on ressurecting wc3campaigns. You've done the mapmaking community a great service.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I think you're being too hard on The Sacred Lands cinematic. I think it was rather neat.

Spoiler alert, make sure you see the cinematic first!

Sure, camera didn't change much, but the way it was following the main character, together with unexceptional surroundings, it really made the viewer focus on him and his internal struggles. The use of monologues reminds me of Zurg's great work. True, the wording is rather crude, but you really can't expect gallant rhetoric from an orc, can you? In fact, some parts of the dialogue are enjoyable particularly because they appear so sincerely unrefined and spontaneous. The fact that the place of the final conflict should be the so called "sacred hill" yields intriguing religious symbolisms. The way the author decides to use the blademaster model, but never plays any of his more exotic animations, is refreshing and really points out the "attack-slam cliche". The rudimentary final battle presents a great peak for the melancholical atmosphere of the cinematic. Finaly, the way a half of the map that is never seen in-game is filled with trees is a remarkable critique of the modern society, obsessed with quantity, even when it contributes nothing to the quality.

On the topic of your cinematic, the cinematic contest entry might not be the best way to start a series, because it was rather short and the plot undeveloped due to the 5 minute time limit. At least make an extended version of the prologue first, to give it a proper introduction.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Hyarion
User

Anitarf, Inf, I love you guys, but could you pretty please STOP PIRATING MY THREAD!? ',_,'
That is all.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

so, ok, ontopic. Started work on the coming part yet?
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 12-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Anitarf, Inf, I love you guys, but could you pretty please STOP PIRATING MY THREAD!? ',_,'
That is all.
I think the proper term is 'hijacking a thread'. And we're not doing that at all. Besides, if we are, so is Tim. :) Anyhow, I did write something on the topic as well. You didn't respond to that, so now I have nothing to say on-topic. So this off-topic post is your fault, not mine. :)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #11
Hyarion
User

Default AAAGH! MOD-SPAM!

Yes, I've started work on part two.
Coming along nicely actually. The terrain at the beginning is almost up to Zurg's level!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
Hemlock
user

Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via AIM to Hemlock

Quote:
Yes, I've started work on part two.
Coming along nicely actually. The terrain at the beginning is almost up to Zurg's level!

Good to hear you are working on it (to be supportive)
I must say nothing was astouning in your first part though I see potential to grow.

Zurg terrains I would like to see, cuase part one did not reall show that, but I guess people can improve, got some nice screens, cause I am a terrainer and cinematic maker myself.

Good luck on your project.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
PlasticAngel
AWWWWW YEEEEEEEE

Respected User

Submissions (3)

PlasticAngel has a spectacular aura about (144)

If you check the terrain forum there are a couple of tutorials that will help alot.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #14
Hemlock
user

Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via AIM to Hemlock

well if he does zurg terrain he probably won't need those =)
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
Hyarion
User

And HERE'S a link to a thread in the Terrain Forum with a couple of screenshots!

http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?p=746921