wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0
Question Tree Regrowth based on Tileset?

Hidden information:
I'm not sure that this is the correct solution to my problem, but...

I've got an ability (partially triggered) that allows a unit to Climb up a "target" tree (actually based on Force of Nature, so it summons the "alternate form" and the tree(s) are destroyed).

Regardless, to say he "Climbs" a tree, then have this unit floating in mid-air above a stump is rather incongruous, to say the least. I would like to know if there's a method for respawning the tree back.

However, since this must be melee-compatible, it may be played on a variety of tilesets. So I can't just say "Unit casts spell, Spell = Climb, Create 1 Sunken Ruins destructible at target point of ability being cast".

Is there a method? Perhaps a trigger that (at map initialization) checks the tileset, then designates a "tree variable" to a certain type of tree?

~~~

(secondary question I just thought of):

Can you use "Target Point of Ability Being Cast" with an AoE-target ability? If so, does it use the center of the AoE reticule?

Any help would be appreciated.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Hmm... If you were using your previous method you can set the tree variable as a global and change it for each map then for the spell itself use the global var which contains the tree type for the map.

But however I'm pretty sure you make abilities target trees

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
TEC_Ghost
User

TEC_Ghost will become famous soon enough (65)TEC_Ghost will become famous soon enough (65)TEC_Ghost will become famous soon enough (65)

Just use a different spell base instead of AOE and make it only targetable on trees. You wouldn't even need to destroy the tree then.

Projects
TEC_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

@Av3n: "original spell"??

(sorry, I'm rushed. I will get back to this later)
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

@Ghost: Well yeah... But then I'd have to trigger the unit summon. Bleh.

Although on second thought, I only have to fix a location leak if I do that, which isn't too bad... Hmmm..

Ok, thanks. I'll look into that.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

Learn to edit posts :/

--

"Can you use "Target Point of Ability Being Cast" with an AoE-target ability? If so, does it use the center of the AoE reticule?"

Yes.

--

"Just use a different spell base instead of AOE and make it only targetable on trees. You wouldn't even need to destroy the tree then."

Huntress's owl scout.
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

I know how to edit posts; but Edited posts don't get bumped (and thus get less of people's attention), and I figured my response was sufficiently dissimilar to the above post to merit a second post.

~~

Lrn2Quote :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofiron99
Yes.

Alright, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofiron99
Huntress's owl scout.

Yeah, or Mountain Giant's "War Club"... Oh wait, that destroys trees, too. Alright.

~~~~

Wait, got a problem. Let's say I go for Huntress' Owl Scout, and trigger the summon. I also have to trigger the removal of the caster (because he's climbing in the tree, right?). However, I've tried this before, and I'm almost positive that just "Remove Casting Unit" removes him faster than the unit is summoned. (or something like that..), and I don't really want to give him an Expiration Timer, because then he dies (using his noisy Death animation :/...)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 09-10-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Start a timer with a quick callback and then remove him after he has time to cast the spell.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

"Quick callback"? Not knowing exactly what that is, should I assume I use one of those "0-second timer" things and then Remove Casting Unit?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

That would be the general method, or perhaps a timeout of 0.05 seconds or something.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

Quote:
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Why .05? (unless by "timeout" you mean something different from a regular "wait"...)

(My apologies people; I only know the basics required for making a race. :/ )
Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

I'm saying to find the particular timeout needed so the spell is fully cast before the timer finishes running. Perhaps it needs a 0.07 timeout, or a 0.126 timeout; whatever it is you need to determine yourself via testing.

Quote:
Quote: