wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Cinematics > Cinematics Archive
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Armelior
User

Submissions (3)

Armelior will become famous soon enough (44)Armelior will become famous soon enough (44)

Default The mansion

My cutscene for the Maps'n'mods contest. It has two different endings, and the theme was thrill/mysterious.
It won so I suppose it's worthy to be here.
It's about 10 minutes for 13.7 Mo (music +lots of custom stuff).

It's about a group of teenagers who visit an old abandoned mansion on a stormy night. It's inspired by movies by John Carpenter, Wes Craven etc...

Credits :

Custom models :

BornÂēmodificate, Illidan(Evil)X, Nasrudin, alfredx_sotn, Olofmoleman, Rao Dao Zao, krakou, Mc!, Reinless, Buster,eXn , Mordrag

Custom skins :

Villagers skins : Dmitry Rommel
Illidan evil gargoyle skin : THE_END, edited by TSG
Ruins staircase : ???
Web tileset : Thunder Mare
Web white : TSG

Custom sounds taken from :
-Neverwinter nights
-Morrowind
-Syberia
-http://www.findsounds.com

Custom musics :
-various themes from "Sleepy Hollow" by Danny Elfman
-theme from "Psychose" by Bernard Hermann
-credits music : "Thriller" by Michael Jackson

Special thanks to all guys from http://www.aeriesguard.com/forum for the testing, feedback and ideas for improving ;-)

Download :
The Mansion

Screenshots :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mansion_building.jpg (103.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_entrance.jpg (190.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_forest.jpg (212.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_hall.jpg (86.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_library.jpg (159.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_roof.jpg (135.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg mansion_village.jpg (162.0 KB, 200 views)

Completed cutscene :
The mansion (MnM cinematic contest winner)

Current projects (cutscene) :
The two sisters

Last edited by iNfraNe : 01-28-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Armelior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
JnM
Cinies ftw <3!

Submissions (1)

JnM will become famous soon enough (66)JnM will become famous soon enough (66)JnM will become famous soon enough (66)

Send a message via AIM to JnM Send a message via MSN to JnM

Good job Armelior! Pretty good but your hallways were kind of...plain... besides that you had some good stuff!

Glad to see I'm not the only french dude who makes cinematics

JnM

PS: Je peux enfin parler en français a quelqu'un!
PS2: Yeah yeah dont worry admins I knows it an "English Site"
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

Really great cinematic, a must-see!

Some things you could improve:
-Do NOT use WEU's terrain unlimitation for walls, it looks really bad. Rather use doodads.
-Work on your spelling and use of capitals (e.g. The Mansion, not The mansion), as it will make your cinematic look a lot more professional, and won't bite and tear at my brain.
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Deck-boy
User

Deck-boy is on a distinguished road (19)

One of my personal favorite wc3 cinematics I must say. I love mystery and horror so I am naturally bias towards all of the cinematics in that contest. You captured the mood quite well and had a very interesting use of doodads. Although your hallways tended to be boring as JnM mentioned, it didn't really detract all that much from the entirety of the cinematic.

I saw a few spelling mistakes, and the ending scroll text was a little messy at the end - but nothing too serious.

The story was predictable, as you have mentioned, but you carried it out well.

Overall an impressive cinematic. wc3 is somewhat lacking in good cinematic users and I am definately looking forward to seeing much more from you!

+rep

-Deck
Deck-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
FinalTyrant
Intense™

Submissions (2)

FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)

This looks brilliant, sadly I cannot view it.

+Rep! however for the screenshots provided, very nice terrain and atmosphere.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
creyzi4zb12
User

creyzi4zb12 has little to show at this moment (0)

D best man...Totally!!
creyzi4zb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

This one is difficult to judge. Some points are obviously brilliant. Some could use improvement.

Some improvement which could be done:

Work out the story more. It's too cliche. Tho the ending of survival surprised me, it wasnt worked out the way it should be. He first screams that they're all dead, then he turns demon. You could have left the screaming out.

The terrain indoors. Some of it lacked some polish (the hallways with raised terrain as walls looked really bad).

The dialogue. While it seems good to write it as you would say it yourself, it is not always the best way to do it. Sentences like "What the... AAAAAAAAH" dont work so well. The "What the" part of it could easily be acted instead of said, and the aah needs no words next to the sound.

Things that are good:

First which I noticed was most of the terrain. Some of it was brilliant. I LOVED the way you terrained the house from the outside, making pools of water on the roof and such. Really detailed and nice.
There was one part, where 1 dude stood on top of the roof and looked down. It's the first time I see this kind of heightfeeling in a cinematic. It even got to my fear of heights (no, im not really affraid of height, but its still annoying to be at a great height and look down)
The indoors terrain looked awsome too on most cases (exception listed above), 'specially liked the library.

I liked the way you did the lightning, tho it might have appeared a bit to often (it didnt annoy me, so that means it was good the way it was too).

The camera angles were often good. They helped alot displaying the terrain even better. The main hallway of the house indeed feel very big because of it.

And most important of all: tho there were some "stops walking and talks to himself" it did not bore me instantly in this case. I dont know what it was, but it kept me with the flow of the cinematic.

Overall, I think it was good enough for the archive. It would be nice to see the next cinematic of you where you adressed some of my improvement points. Goodluck :)

Accepted. (and uploaded file to wc3c)
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 01-28-2007 at 09:52 PM.
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Armelior
User

Submissions (3)

Armelior will become famous soon enough (44)Armelior will become famous soon enough (44)

At last ! I was afraid to be rejected as Warn... I'm glad to finally make it to the archive, that means something to me to have my little map among the awesome cines there.

Also thanks for the advices, as for story (it was made tyo be cliche, like "Scream" but anyway) and dialogues I knew, and the end with the demon was more of a joke in fact...

Just a question : "The "What the" part of it could easily be acted instead of said" I don't see how a unit in war3 could "act" this, except with the head orientation as I already made those scenes ?

Completed cutscene :
The mansion (MnM cinematic contest winner)

Current projects (cutscene) :
The two sisters
Armelior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

What I mean is, when the girl says "what the..". You really didnt need to actively say it too. Just turning around is more than enough to get the idea. And the scream doesnt need subtitles.
Besides that I agree that there isnt enough in wc3 to show emotion, but subtitles only make a negative remark about it. It makes it seem "semi-funny" meant.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 01-29-2007 at 05:52 PM.
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
Lor'themar_Theron
User

Submissions (1)

Lor'themar_Theron has little to show at this moment (0)

Default Amazing!

Awesome cutscene. The better that I see since CoTD and The Vision.
Lor'themar_Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
BornēModificate
Fear the bananamonster!

Respected User

Submissions (26)

BornēModificate is just really nice (318)BornēModificate is just really nice (318)BornēModificate is just really nice (318)

Send a message via ICQ to BornēModificate Send a message via AIM to BornēModificate

Really nice thing. I enjoyed watching it.
But i cant remember i did a fog model you gave me the credits for ^^
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Great cinematic, though at the beginning he said "theres no wind", while when Tony was on the roof he said "must of been the wind" lol. Anyways, good job.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote