wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Red-Bones Ghoul
User

Red-Bones Ghoul is on a distinguished road (15)

Default My First Model - Scorpion

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

This is my very first try at scratching a model. So plz be nice and give constructive comments.
Attached Images
File Type: png Perspective - PC.PNG (39.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: png Perspective 2.PNG (23.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: png Front.PNG (34.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: png Left.PNG (41.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: png Top.PNG (34.9 KB, 90 views)
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

The proportions are all wrong, and I think you have way too many polies, and that ends up making mistakes when trying to add too much detail. If this were simplified, it could look a whole lot better.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

If you are considering this for wc3, then yes it has too many polygons. The proportions might be wrong, but they do work. It looks verry charismatic, actually.

The one thing that really bothers me is the discontinuation of polygon flow at some areas, the knees in perticulair. When you are modelling for a game, you will want to try and keep most of the polygons in roughly the same size range, unless you have certain parts you know will be zoomed into, like a portrait. (if thats not done on a seporate model).

In the knees, there suddenly are a lot of tiny polygons that you could easely do without. They disrupt the general polygon flow, and make your mesh look less smooth.

I must say, for a first scratch model, not bad at all.

Oh one more thing, i think you would be better off making the spikes on his back seporate parts and sticking them in there, reather then really making them a part of the mesh. Unless you want to go high-definition on this piece, wich i think you wouldnt.

Last edited by erwtenpeller : 01-06-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Looking really good, especially for a first try at a scratch!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 AM   #5
weeg
User

weeg has little to show at this moment (9)

I like it it fits together well i personaly dont care about 'proportions' it looks nice and i think that..in time.. deserves a nice skin. Gj :)
Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Infrisios
User

Infrisios is on a distinguished road (12)

It looks quite good.
Against polys:
make some things like the parts in red circles less detailed...I donĀ“t think you will recognise these details ingame.
Claws (blue circles) could be bigger imo.
I am unsure about the rest, we have no scorpions here.
Nice model!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perspective%20-%20PC.JPG (65.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

get rid of those ngons (polygons with more than 4 edges).
Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Dionesiist
User

Submissions (34)

Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)

It's waaay better than my first one anywayz...
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via Yahoo to Daminon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
get rid of those ngons (polygons with more than 4 edges).
Never use ngons at all right? If I have a pentagon, should I divide it into a tetra- and trigon?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Actually, if you have a flat surface you can have a very messed up topology and it will still show as a plane (with mesh smooth anyway), so you can use that as an advantage. But in the rest of the areas yes, ngons are bad but not as bad as triangles when working with mesh smooth.
If you have a pentagon and working low poly, then yes divide it into a quad and a triangle. Or it's best to find a way to turn it into a quad.

Last edited by TDR : 01-07-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
JetFangInferno
I Break Chopsticks

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (71)

JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)

looks pretty good.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Red-Bones Ghoul
User

Why, thx all of you guys. I will check all of your suggestions.

In the mean time, I didn't actually planned to use it for wc3 because:

1.- I've no idea how to turn a .max file to .mdl or .mdx.

2.- I don't know how to put so many animations to one only model (like Move, Spell, etc.) but I can always learn from in here

3.- I'm a damn dumb at making textures with drawing programs. But I can learn it also or ask someone else to do it
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
Red-Bones Ghoul
User

I fixed the model a bit. Resized pincers and fixed knees. And you wouldn't imaging the amount of polies can useless vertex make, even when they form no 'gons.

EDIT: Perhaps I'll consider this for wc3. But i'd need an animator and a skinner...
Attached Images
File Type: png Perspective - PC.PNG (36.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: png Top.PNG (30.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png Front.PNG (36.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Left.PNG (39.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Perspective 2.PNG (24.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Red-Bones Ghoul : 01-08-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

You still have some nasty ngons. They will not render well in game engines, because they will be triangulated randomly and out of control therefore making the mesh look messy. So trust me, get rid of the ngons.
Also add all the polygons to 1 smoothing group. Or just ad a smooth modifier (not mesh smooth, simply smooth)

by the way, I also moved this to the modeling and animation forum since it needs a lot more work.

Last edited by TDR : 01-09-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Closed Thread