wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #16
Xlightscreen
User

Submissions (2)

Xlightscreen is on a distinguished road (19)

Send a message via MSN to Xlightscreen

mmk few comments/questions

1. Why make a cube and then delete the part for you plane why not just acutly use the plane tool?

2. You might wan't to title your tutorial on what program your using. I mean you can tell from the screenshots but it might help people skimming threw it.

I personly think Cylinders,Boxes,and Low Res Spheres are faster way but hey if anything this is a tutorail on how to make charicters with plane shapes!

Xlightscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #17
jigrael
Worker Ant

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceBattle Droids Model Competition Winner

well...
1-Could you believe I didnt notice it until now that you have pointed it? lol
2-Ill edit my post
3-I once used those too, but now I somehow got used to use planes, cant remember why but I like it this way :D

Ill update my post with the plane thing and Ill post somewhere at the begining this is for 3dsmax
Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #18
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

Default unwraping

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

I think the model is done and ready to be unwraped, so the last part of the tut is here:

Unwraping

First, youll need to sing a special material to the model, that material is a checker material wich is very useful when unwraping, also you could get DeepUv wich unwraps the mesh for you, but not everyone will be able to get it so Ill do it the normal way.
Anyway go to the material editor

Zoom (requires log in)

where a window like this will pop up, then select maps like its shown

Zoom (requires log in)

you will see something like this, now select where it says nono at the side of Difusse color

Zoom (requires log in)

somthing like this will pop up

Zoom (requires log in)

there select checker and click ok at the bottom

Youll see somthing like this
Zoom (requires log in)

notice the tilling parameter, change it to 15 on both and click on go to parent button:

Zoom (requires log in)

now select the two halvs of the body and click on this button(Assign material to selection)

Zoom (requires log in)

now select show map in viewport

Zoom (requires log in)

now we are ready to unwrap. close the material editor and select just the original half of the model and select from the modifier list UVW Map

Zoom (requires log in)

now select from UVW map options alignment y and the button fit

Zoom (requires log in)

now search again in the modifier list for Unwrap UVW

Zoom (requires log in)

now select EDIT at the options of Unwrap UVW

Zoom (requires log in)

you will see this

Zoom (requires log in)

now select select face under Unwrap UVW

Zoom (requires log in)

now select only the front of the model

Zoom (requires log in)

dont select any face of the back

Zoom (requires log in)

now click on planar map

Zoom (requires log in)

notice the edit uv window, the red outline, move it to a side, and select the rest(select it at the deit uv window) like this

Zoom (requires log in)

now apply planar map to it

Zoom (requires log in)

now select the uvs of the head

Zoom (requires log in)

and apply a planar map, then move the uvs so you can see them better, now select only the front of the face, youll get this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Ill fnish this tomorrow, Im very sleepy right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b101.jpg (48.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg b102.jpg (119.6 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg b103.jpg (115.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg b104.jpg (89.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg b105.jpg (115.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg b106.jpg (90.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg b107.jpg (134.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg b108.jpg (71.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg b109.jpg (128.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg b110.jpg (105.0 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg b111.jpg (50.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg b112.jpg (98.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg b113.jpg (288.6 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg b114.jpg (141.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg b115.jpg (98.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg b116.jpg (58.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg b117.jpg (262.3 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg b118.jpg (508.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg b119.jpg (241.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg b120.jpg (161.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg b121.jpg (200.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
xXm0rpH3usXx
I want my rep back! asap

Submissions (35)

xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)

gorgous until now, though this is a very easy way to unwrapp :P
doesnt it have some issues with wrapping the sides??
(didnt test until now)
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #20
BlinkBoy
User

Respected User

Submissions (4)

BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)

Outstanding Tutorial

Ok, Good, Excelent, Perfect, Marviulus tutorial. [takes down hat] . Yet there are some issues:

1. You use mirror instead of symmetry.
  2. You use weld target insatead of collapse, which is better
  3. Lack of other tools usesage, that could reduce working time

I don't know if you are using 3dsmax 4 or gmax, and that's why you don't got this tools. Anyways, I loved the tutorial alot, you should make a tutorial that shows modelling polymorphism, in this means a tutorial for begineers teaching them how to rig a character basing on a concept, like armors and that. Many beginers happen to not be able to model details as good as the models they make on tutorials, so they end making copies of your tutorials models with a bit more flow to what they want.

Last edited by BlinkBoy : 12-19-2006 at 12:30 AM.
BlinkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #21
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

Thankz BlinkBoy

1.I didnt knew Symmetry
2.I didnt knew about collapce either
3.Well Ive used tutorials, alot of time ago, but there they didnt explain those tools you speak of, so most of what I know is based on practice and error, so I got used to certain things and since they worked on all the things I needed and wanted to do, I didnt bother researching more in 3dsmax other functions and... because there are too much stuff there and I dont have the time to read it 3dsmax manual or 3dsmax bible though I have them ...(and because Im lazzy)

I didnt know about modelling polymorphism(and the concept you gave isnt clear for me, maybe its my english ) but for what I understood I dont have a clue(or experience) on how to give that kind of feature in a tutorial, in fact I didnt knew if this tutorial was good or not, all I did is do a very detailed steps of what I was doing to create that model, Im glad its considered good :)
Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 AM   #22
BlinkBoy
User

Respected User

Submissions (4)

BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)

Outstanding Tutorial

Ok, lets start by other tools first. First use Editable Poly instead of Mesh, Polygons give more options than triangles, but if you want to have edit mesh options add the object a Edit Mesh modifier. As for tools, you could use chanfer for helping rig the body, THE SNAP TOGGLE important it can make your cuts run perfect since it can point out the centers of an edge, a vertex, a 3dsmax unit, etc.

Ok, about this of Modelling Polymorphing: is just making a more flexive tutorial, like making an elven warrior, a dog, an animal, etc. Especially if it is a detailed guy, who has an armor and other objects. In other words, making the tutorial more practical than theorical.

Last edited by BlinkBoy : 12-20-2006 at 04:50 AM.
BlinkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #23
xXm0rpH3usXx
I want my rep back! asap

Submissions (35)

xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)

its good like it is..
but not detailed all the way, you forgot lots of steps in the face tutorial :P and mine is still flat -.-'

this is wc3, although i guess wc3 can take more polies than admitted it shouldnt become too high poly...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #24
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Great, approved.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #25
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

emm...its not finished

BlinkBoy: well I know snap togle and Ive used in my tut, I also know chanfer, but I dont know what you mean by rig, I thoight that rigging is when you do a skeleton and setup it, about editPoly , I thouht that it had less options that edit mesh Ill try to use it.
Ah so that was it, well I did a human body only because that was what requested by xXm0rpH3usXx.

xXm0rpH3usXx: Well I thought that since I showed you the tools you could do it, also Ive post pictures for comparison, and it really shouldnt be dificult to follow, as I said just check the pictures.

Last edited by jigrael : 12-30-2006 at 02:50 PM.
jigrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #26
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

Default continuation of the unwraping tut

I took so long sorry, anyway:

Apply a planar map to th selection youve made, but notice that Ive also selected Y on the option before planar map, and notice how a yeloww rectangle appears, youll see what it does once you click on plannar map, you can also at this point try selecting the X or Z to understand what it does, in fact I recomend this. Anyway click on planar map

Zoom (requires log in)

you will get this on the edit uvw view(Ive moved the uvs to the right so you can see it bettter):

Zoom (requires log in)

now select the rest of the head and apply a planar map with the X option selected

Zoom (requires log in)

apply a mirror

Zoom (requires log in)

now move that to the right

Zoom (requires log in)

now under display select show vertex conections

Zoom (requires log in)

now try selecting the side of the head(just a part):

Zoom (requires log in)

See it shows a number on each vertex you select and it shows the same number on the vertexes where it is conected in the actual mesh

now move the side so its vertex numbers are very close to the matching vertex number in the front of the headof the head select target weld

Zoom (requires log in)

now this weld target is the same as in the edit mesh, so select each vertex and weld it to its matching(just match the numbers)

Zoom (requires log in)

by now you should have notice that when you move the vertexes on the edit UVSs viewer the texture on the model moves too, for example see this

Zoom (requires log in)

now Ill move the vertice on the ip of the nose vetex, see how it ends:

Zoom (requires log in)

see? but this is not what we wanted so click on undo, untill the vertex on the nose returns to its original position.

Zoom (requires log in)

Now lets see the mesh

Zoom (requires log in)

the reason Ive applyed a checker material to it is because it helps to see how well are the uvs placed, a bad layout of the uvs and youll get streched squares on the mesh and that means that any texture you apply on that mesh will be streched aswell, so the objective of unwraping, using the checker material, is to try to make the squares as perfect as you can by moving the vertexes, BUT at the same time the uv should be placed in a way it helps you to skin. For example you could apply a planar face to each face in the mesh and all the squares will be ok but that will be imposible to skin well.
Now I cant show you a step by step, imagine all the pictures, on what vertexes I move.

Before you begin playing witht the vertexed I recomend turning on Constant update on viewport, Ive heard it requires memmory, but I only have 768 of ram and it worked fine, even when I had 512 it worked.
So to turn it on select Options>Advanced options

Zoom (requires log in)

Then just check it and click ok

Zoom (requires log in)

This constant update lets you see, as you move, the changes of the texture on the mesh.

So this is what I got after playing with the vertexes on the edit UVWs window:

Zoom (requires log in)

now lets look at the head:
before:
Zoom (requires log in)
after:
Zoom (requires log in)

Zoom (requires log in)

Now as you can see I coulnt get all the squares perfect, if I had moved more I could have done it but it wont help once you go into skining, so you have to look for balance here.

Now lets do the same for the body, select the front part

Zoom (requires log in)

and apply a planar map with Y selected

Zoom (requires log in)

now do the same to the back of the body

Zoom (requires log in)

now select both the front and back of the foot

Zoom (requires log in)

now apply a planar map selecting X too, you should get this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Now lest arrange it all:

Zoom (requires log in)

Notice that all is put inside the blue square in the editUVWs window.

So heres the final model:
http://wc3campaigns.net/attachment.p...1&d=1167497791

And thats it, if you want to see more checkers in the body mesh just set a high value at Tiling(you can see about this back, whe we applyed the material). Now the model is ready to skin. Happy skining!!

---End of Tutorial---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b132.jpg (193.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg b133.jpg (208.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg b134.jpg (197.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg b135.jpg (64.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg b136.jpg (115.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg b137.jpg (182.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg b138.jpg (50.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg b139.jpg (85.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg b140.jpg (76.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg b141.jpg (68.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg b142.jpg (163.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg b143.jpg (158.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg b144.jpg (151.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg b145.jpg (161.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg b146.jpg (37.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg b147.jpg (271.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg b148.jpg (285.1 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by jigrael : 12-30-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #27
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

some images didnd fit so Ill post them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b122.jpg (88.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg b123.jpg (185.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg b124.jpg (327.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg b125.jpg (127.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg b126.jpg (154.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg b128.jpg (110.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg b129.jpg (112.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg b130.jpg (150.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg b131.jpg (119.2 KB, 175 views)
Attached Files
File Type: max TutBody06.max (199.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by jigrael : 12-30-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
Taylor_Mouse
User

Taylor_Mouse will become famous soon enough (35)Taylor_Mouse will become famous soon enough (35)

OK, maybe it would be a lot easier if you select the whole head ( well a left or a right side of course ) and apply the UVWUnwrap Cylinder to it, just make sure that Split ( defined by a green line in the cylinder ) is not in the middle of face.
This makes it a lot easier to unwrap and it is also the way blizzard does this in WoW.

Last edited by Taylor_Mouse : 03-30-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Taylor_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #29
Zugbug
User

Zugbug has little to show at this moment (0)

At the start I thought it was somekind of origami
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote