wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > 2D Art Tutorials (Skinning)
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

wij has a spectacular aura about (80)wij has a spectacular aura about (80)wij has a spectacular aura about (80)

Default Hair/fur the easy way

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

Ok this is my first tutorial so i might screw up a bit. But anyway this is how i do hair/fur.(Most the time) KEEP IN MIND!!! This tutorial was drawn in 512x512 so pixel sizes for brushes will be different on a smaller scale. But i think you can figure it out.

EDIT!: Added ingame shot. To me im now thinking this tutorial looks good just for hair that way the detail may be noticable in portrait.(See celestial mystic unwrap here. http://www.wc3campaigns.net/attachme...6&d=1162152917) But Might be to fine for fur. I think on the abom it came out ok though.

Ok here we go.
1.) Start out by selecting a designated area (i work with small then get to larger ones.) Then color the whole area black like so.
Zoom (requires log in)
2.) Select the dodge tool and set it to shadows with 100% opacity and a size of 1 pixel. Then scripple around untill it looks like this. Keep direction the hair is going in mind.
Zoom (requires log in)

3.)Set the dodge tool to 3 pixels and whatever opacity you want. Add some highlights like so.
Zoom (requires log in)

*4.) This step is optional. I did it in this tutorial because im trying different things with the skin im making. Erw will kill you and so will tdr but take the smudge tool on a low opacity and just go down the lines of hair to make it blur a bit. Like i said this is optional and some people like the look better if you DONT smudge. So i threw this in here for hahas but the rest of the tutorial can be done with or without this step.
Zoom (requires log in)
5.) Take the dodge tool and add some more highlights after smuding (if you did)
Zoom (requires log in)

6.) Now go to the layer tab on top of screen and select create new layer. Set layer type to overlay OR normal which ever you prefer. If you use normal set the brush opacity to a low %.
Zoom (requires log in)
7.) Now take the dodge tool/burn tool and add some highlights and shadows. This step looks a little sloppy but i was a bit rushed just to get this tut out for denu. *If you dont like dodge and burn feel free to use white and black but be careful*
Zoom (requires log in)

8.) Final step is just shading. I use a normal type layer and white/black at around 10% or lower. I tried to go for a cold feel in this because thats the theme of the skin i was making but you DO NOT need to do this. Shade to the appropiate theme.
Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ingame.jpg (171.3 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg ss0000.JPG (41.6 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (36.7 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (41.4 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (46.5 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg pic4.jpg (44.4 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg pic5.jpg (47.9 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg pic6.jpg (49.2 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg pic7.jpg (57.8 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg pic8.jpg (52.6 KB, 836 views)

Last edited by wij : 11-16-2006 at 12:56 PM.
wij is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Why don't you people post this in the "submit a tutorial" forum?

This style of hair doesn't look that good in wc3, mister.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

wij has a spectacular aura about (80)wij has a spectacular aura about (80)wij has a spectacular aura about (80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
Why don't you people post this in the "submit a tutorial" forum?

This style of hair doesn't look that good in wc3, mister.

I guess im just an idiot.

Ill add some ingame shots so you guys can see it.

EDIT: Ok added ingame shots and talked about it in first post. Gave a link to the celestial mystics hair unwrap so you can see what it looks like without smudge and no coloring.

Last edited by wij : 11-14-2006 at 01:30 PM.
wij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Well 'guess I'm wrong, it actually looks pretty good.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Denu
Cackle Cackle!

Submissions (14)

Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)

Send a message via MSN to Denu

Thanks wij this is really helpfull +rep for you nvm I cant now but I will try and get some to you eventually.

Last edited by Denu : 11-14-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Denu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

What, has it now become a trend to post skinning tutorials?
Hell, I'll contribute with some then :)

Anyway, good tutorial :)

EDIT

What about making these sticky'ed like http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=78296.
Or are the moved to the skinning tutorials?

Last edited by Archian : 11-14-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

You should post them in "Submit a Tutorial" so people like Erwt can move them to the respective forums.
These NEED to be in the tutorial forums, otherwise they don't show up when you go to the "Tutorials" tab at the top of the website.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

Ya sorry about all that with posting in the wrong forum. That was my bad.

Thanks for the comments glad you guys like it. Also glad you like it ingame and not just as a texture.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Oh wait, the images need to be attached to your post and not link to imageshack.
Otherwise I'd have approved it by now :)

Last edited by PitzerMike : 11-15-2006 at 09:43 PM.
PitzerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

Does that mean i have to take the pictures off from image shack as well? Or do i just have to attach them to the post also? If i do have to take them off image shack how do i put pictures in a post that i attached without an outside site? If thats possible. Would be really hard to follow tut without the pictures right there. (Well not really hard but you know how people are when it comes to haveing everything right in front of them. )
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

You don't have to take them off imageshack, but attach them to your post like you did with the ingame screenshots. And then instead of linking to imageshack in your post, link to the attached thumbnail. It will look like it looks now, only that the images will be hosted here.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
wij
"Wijonardo"

Submissions (7)

Ok done and done.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

Great, approved!