wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Default (12) Pirates [Pre-1.24]

Pirates

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates.gif
Views:	3179
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	8930Avast! Welcome to my first map fully written in JASS, Pirates!

Map Information

Shine your hook, swab the decks, and full speed ahead in this fast paced boat battle! Using your port and starboard cannons, along with useful power-ups, destroy your opponents before they send you to Davy Jones' Locker!
  • Use A / D to fire left/right cannons.
  • Gain special abilities by sailing over buoys.
  • Press the S key to use a powerup.
  • Mana represents your loaded cannons.
  • Press Esc to toggle camera modes.
http://www.Wc3Campaigns.net

Download

You can download Pirates here: Pirates1.0.w3x (156.4kb)

Special Thanks

I would like to thank the following for their continued help:
  • PipeDream; your knowledge knows no ends, does it? Thank you for all your help on the movement and damage systems!
  • Anitarf; Pirates would still be hitting a Fatal Error every 5 minutes if it weren’t for your help, it was much appreciated.
  • RodOfNOD; thank you for all your effort and ingenuity, it helped me move in the right direction.
  • Blade.dk; you taught me JASS, and you helped me throughout the entire learning process. I’m proud to release my first fully JASS map - and I owe it to you. (Oh, and thanks for the help on that sexy loading screen!)
  • Blu_da_noob; always figuring out my stupid mistakes, what would I do without you? Thanks so much!
Also I would like to thank the following for the tons of tests, input, and assistance:
  • Chuckle_Brother
  • [Death]
  • Jacek
  • Rao_Dao_Zao
  • iNfraNe
  • Johnfn
  • Orc_Dork
  • GGCrono
  • Turkey_Slayer
  • PitzerMike
  • Datajax
And a final thank you everyone else who has beta tested this map throughout development.

Final Notes

Those of you whom have previous beta versions of this map, please remove them from your directories and only use this or later versions from this point on. Thank you.

Raise anchor, and set sail!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirates01.jpg (95.6 KB, 2311 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates02.jpg (112.1 KB, 2042 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates03.jpg (96.8 KB, 1186 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates04.jpg (111.5 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates05.jpg (102.7 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates06.jpg (105.6 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates07.jpg (106.0 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates08.jpg (113.8 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates09.jpg (109.6 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates10.jpg (96.1 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates11.jpg (103.7 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates13.jpg (111.8 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates12.jpg (107.2 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates14.jpg (109.9 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates15.jpg (114.9 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates16.jpg (102.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates17.jpg (110.3 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates18.jpg (108.3 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates19.jpg (112.7 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates20.jpg (53.0 KB, 949 views)

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Great map. A couple of things:

People complain about lag, but heck, they do the same in my Theramore Arena, and it probably has less triggers running, so... can't be helped, I guess.

Not sure about this one, but it should be easy to look into. I ran over a bomb buoy, when the guy who planted it was nearby on low hp. He killed himself, and I think he got a kill for it. There should be a special message for such a situation, and the suicider should get no kills/loose a kill.

Also, you should record a new "not enough mana" message, with a pirate's voice, for extra atmosphere. :)

Cool map, approved.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

The lag is in part due to some last minute rushing on the movement system, eventually it will change to vectors and that should help a lot.
My bad, I thought I did add a suicide message. Will do.
Get me a voice actor :P.

Added screenshots now.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
SeasonsOfLove
A Nitpicky Map Reviewer

Official Map Reviewer

SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place

Send a message via AIM to SeasonsOfLove

A great map, even though it's a bit tough for new players at times.

Also, the command lag is a problem in some games. Unfortunately, you can't do a huge amount to fix it, but it is quite problematic for some people.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
johnfn
Taur is... MY SISTER!!!

Respected User

Submissions (3)

johnfn has a spectacular aura about (129)

Send a message via AIM to johnfn

Bugs:

When you ordered your ship up into the black, he would move towards the black, but once he moved down to the other side of the map he would continue following his order to the same black location, meaning he would go in weird directions.

Sometimes bouys would spawn in unreachable areas (surrounded by rocks).

When you ordered your ship off the map and then a rock appeared as close as it could be to the edge on the other side you don't have enough time to react with the lag.

Suggestions:

The map seems a bit too big. Sometimes I would sail for 30 seconds or more without any action at all.

Shouldn't there be a ship icon in the minimap for the heroes?

There should be some way to hit guys directly in front of you.

Like I mentioned before the 'circle wars' bother me (endlessly going in a circle while remaining out of range) I think there should be a sharper way to turn, but that's just me.

I never figured out exactly what ramming is (it's not explained on the loading screen)

Typing is too difficult with all the action going on, and respawning is only a 5 second respite. Maybe respawning should be longer so that people can say stuff?

Respawning should probably use the blue summon bar (I know I mentioned that before) or it would be cool if you used the Experiance bar and the amount of experiance you had was corresponding to the amount of time left.

I was starting to think towards the end that running into rocks shouldn't be an insta-kill but more like just HP damage. Usually when you run into rocks its because of lag so it's kind of annoying to penalize for that.

I can't think of anything else to say; pretty good map overall. The slight lag that still remains is all that stops me from becoming an addict :/

Taur: btw dun tell anyone but I bribed the wc3c admins with a life supply of packaged peanuts to host UL ^^

Taur | Unsung Legends says:
guess what blade?
Blade.dk says:
JOHN IS YO BRO!

johnfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

It seemed very fun and original that brief game I tested with 3-4 of us.

I'll test it 12 player tomorrow, 150kb, should be np hosting :-)
Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

I did NOT test this map multiplayer because im having problems with the internet, but i think i got a quite good view on the game from singleplayer.

I didn't find many problems singleplayer, but then again i didnt see many of the triggers in use. All powerup's tooltips say "press DOWN arrow key to use" whilst its the "S" key that actually triggers them. I assume you used the arrow keys before but forgot to change the tooltip.

Anyways, to fix johnfn's problem with circling around eachother trying to find a angle you could add a ability (either one you allways have or a buoy) called "throw the anchor" which would quickly slow the ship down alot to allow sharper turns for 2-3 seconds and then speed the ship up again.

Thats all i have to say, all in all a great map. Approved.
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Thanks John! The 'ramming' is when you hit another ship. So if you crash into me, I deal damage to you depending on what angle I'm facing in comparison to the angle you're facing.

GaDD, yeah I noticed that this afteroon, simple fix on the tooltips. Nice idea on the anchor, I'll look into it.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
Orc Dork
User

Orc Dork is on a distinguished road (20)

A great map, might be a bit too upper level for a few of the regular DotA players (no offence), but this is the best map to come out of wc3c yet (in my opinion).

I am glad to have been a part of testing this map! Keep up the good work Tim.!!

FEAR THE UBER HORDE BABY

*JohnFN's Apprentice*

Will work for rep!
BTW: ... --- .-. .-. -.-- ..-. --- .-. --. . - - .. -. --. -.-- --- ..- .--. .-. . --. -. .- -. -

Warning: This Link Contains A Virus

Last edited by Orc Dork : 07-08-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Orc Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
The-Cata
User

The-Cata has little to show at this moment (4)

Default Bug

I was playing with a friend, and on the rematch my ship had no cannons. (see thumbnail)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bug.JPG (58.7 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by The-Cata : 07-08-2006 at 07:08 PM.
The-Cata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Murloc Lover
Now with more slime

Murloc Lover will become famous soon enough (58)Murloc Lover will become famous soon enough (58)

Send a message via MSN to Murloc Lover

Pirate voices appearing to taunt the pwnted would make it perfect, but maybe that's just me. This is a very fun map, and a really nice idea overrall.
Murloc Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk

Quite original and entertaining, but it is probably not the kind of map I will keep playing for ever, as it is pretty simple. I generally agree with Ani and GaDD, a throw the anchor ability would be a nice addition.

Approved.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Nice map, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Cata
I was playing with a friend, and on the rematch my ship had no cannons. (see thumbnail)

I've got exactly the same problem

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #14
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

I'm not fond of "fast paced" map but it's better than f***ing map stealer sked's battleship map with countless versions and stupid dumb concept (using phoenix ablity).

You can fix bug and add some extra stuff to increase the replayability without being bored.

Different mod will be welcome.
Are you going to edit it?

What do you think about a treasure hunter mod?
The one who collected the most treasure won at the timer end.
Because there is pirates but no treasure =(

Or something that could be fun.
There is 1 treasure and the one who get the treasure at the timer's end won.

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!

Last edited by Callahan : 07-08-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Modes are a bad idea, for all maps. And yes; i know i added modes to Elimination. And i regret i did.
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote