wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Albiino-I will become famous soon enough (42)Albiino-I will become famous soon enough (42)

Default Fall of the Lion - Download now!

Fall of the Lion
Current version: 1.00
Download now!

Still to add:
- An extra level, only available if the secret bonus' in rest of the maps are collected.
- Couple of mini games; small puzzles in some of the maps.
- Custom models / skins.
- New triggered abilities for the heroes.
- Fully voiced dialog and unit soundsets.
- Three new ingame music tracks and cinematic ones.

After Warcraft III's release, before the expansion set, when the modding community was yet small, one man made a campaign which I played through in awe. Luthien was one of the first who achieved anything notable with the world editor, his first campaign, Fall of the Lion. Now after a long time - now that I have the skills to do this - I have made a remake of it. Only glitch in the 'Fall of the Lion', was its level design, it looked pretty horrid even back then, but the story was the one that inspired me. My goal is to show this same story, in a new, shiny shell.

I have re-created all the maps in the original campaign from scrathe, but used Luthien's triggering-work as a base and then added lot by myself to make it even more interesting. This is only the beginning though, there's still more to it. I plan to add the last map in the campaign as a bonus map which can only be played if all the hidden secrets are found in the rest of the maps, I'll also add couple of custom models / skins and after the rest is finished, voice the whole package.

Now I hope you forumers here try it and tell me what you think of it and hopefully someone is so kind and tests it for any bugs.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: w3n Fall of the Lion.w3n (848.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Albiino-I : 07-02-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Albiino-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

It's ok, but nothing great at the moment.

Level 1:

- Cinematics boring. Little animation, and camera stationary. Big no-no there.
- I saved the clerics, and my reward was to have the whole town guard run off to get healed, leaving the town undefended...? Curious reward.
- Very bad idea to have a mission to track down and destroy all orc forces, then have orc forces spawning out of nowhere (they even did it right on top of me).
- Blackrock clan does not include trolls, who aren't orcs. Indeed, I do not believe trolls even exist in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women

Last edited by Captain Griffen : 07-02-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #3
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Albiino-I will become famous soon enough (42)Albiino-I will become famous soon enough (42)

Quote:
- Cinematics boring. Little animation, and camera stationary. Big no-no there.

Well the story isn't mine, the script was written by Luthien and I was aiming for a Blizzard style in the cinematics. They are there just to get the story forward, the action is left for the player to play. But the camera changes often? And what do you mean with little animation?

Quote:
- I saved the clerics, and my reward was to have the whole town guard run off to get healed, leaving the town undefended...? Curious reward.

I seriously have to do something for that, it annoys me too. Thank you.

Quote:
- Very bad idea to have a mission to track down and destroy all orc forces, then have orc forces spawning out of nowhere (they even did it right on top of me).

I'll make them spawn more smoothly and realistically for the next version, not just appear in the middle of nowhere. Thank you for that too.

Quote:
- Blackrock clan does not include trolls, who aren't orcs. Indeed, I do not believe trolls even exist in the Eastern Kingdoms.

Those are just a replacements until I find a proper orcish counterpart for them, Warcraft didn't have a good model for that case.

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you didn't encounter many bugs and thanks for pointing out those glitches, I'll get back to work on them. But do try the rest of the campaign too, it will get better, I promise.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Griffen
I do not believe trolls even exist in the Eastern Kingdoms.

Are you serious?

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
Well the story isn't mine, the script was written by Luthien and I was aiming for a Blizzard style in the cinematics. They are there just to get the story forward, the action is left for the player to play. But the camera changes often? And what do you mean with little animation?

What I mean is that you could do with some camera panning, rather than changing between stationary views.

Good campaign though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorn
Are you serious?

No, it was late, and I wasn't really thinking straight. Forest Trolls, of course, existed in Lordaeron.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Quote:
What I mean is that you could do with some camera panning, rather than changing between stationary views.

Good campaign though.

I'm not going to touch the cinematics anymore, they shall stay as they are for I personally like the simple style. I'm going to make them skippable later though.

Thank you for your compliment, it is appreciated.

Quote:
No, it was late, and I wasn't really thinking straight. Forest Trolls, of course, existed in Lordaeron.

They still weren't part of the horde back then, in the time of WC1, so I'll replace them with orcish spearthrowers at some point. The models aren't the main concern right now.

Has anyone else played the campaign yet? Flood me with reviews!

Last edited by Albiino-I : 07-03-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
CrossTronic
User

CrossTronic has little to show at this moment (4)

Send a message via AIM to CrossTronic

I worked on the first stage of the campaign today. It was fun, but eventually I found a huge pile of orcs and couldn't see how I'd ever defeat them with my meager force. In order for me to get on to the next level, what is the "solution" to defeat the large army? Picking them off a few at a time didn't seem to be getting me anywhere, and a direct onslaught only resulted in defeat. Thanks.
CrossTronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Use Uther's Healing Light a lot - you won't manage without in this level - and slay the small orc groups one by one, they shouldn't stand a chance. If you face the orcish raiding party which spawns after certain amount of time, you can either face them head on or run back to the town and have the town guards kill them. And everytime you can, heal all your units back to full health.

I hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited by Albiino-I : 07-04-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)

I've actually found it easy, until I had to face the granite golem. It could be destroyed in one match, but hurl boulder leave you defensless for too much time. I used cheats because I didn't want to get back to heal every time.
Nasrudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Some people find even the first map very difficult while others play through the whole campaign with ease. I'm going to add two different difficulty levels, but what do you people think so far? Should I make the enemies slightly weaker?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

I tried the 2 first mission.
It could be funnier,heros don't have custom abilities
the gameplay is too basic,too classic.
The objectives are simple.

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan
I tried the 2 first mission.
It could be funnier,heros don't have custom abilities
the gameplay is too basic,too classic.
The objectives are simple.

Quote:
Still to add:
- An extra level, only available if the secret bonus' in rest of the maps are collected.
- Couple of mini games; small puzzles in some of the maps.
- Custom models / skins.
- New triggered abilities for the heroes.
- Fully voiced dialog and unit soundsets.
- Three new ingame music tracks and cinematic ones.

The campaign aims to be much like the Blizzard ones, I've tried to replicate that style in every aspect and that's how Warcraft gameplay is. So if you're waiting for a total conversion that changes Warcraft into something totally different, then I have to dissapoint you. I hope to make this as entertaining as possible though, so your words have been heeded.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
CrossTronic
User

CrossTronic has little to show at this moment (4)

Send a message via AIM to CrossTronic

I have made it through the first two scenerios. I found the first one a little frustrating, because I continued to run around the map killing orcs, and they kept on spawning--sometimes in places where I had previously wiped them out. The first time I played it, I ran into a party of about 50 orcs after about half an hour and had no chance to defeat them. Perhaps if the player knew how many "kills," or how many minutes he had to defend, there would be more purpose or at least some indication that progress was being made. The first few times I played, the quest seemed never ending, and a little dull, since much of the time was running around and around the map looking for stray orcs.

Some other constructive criticism about chapter 1: If you rescue the clerics prior to having the conversation that introduces the quest, the next time you see the "head cleric," he has the explanation point above his head, but he doesn't say anything. Maybe you could eliminate that.

I also think you could do away with the hint about the town's soldiers using the clerics services. That becomes apparent; plus, it is explained from the rescued clerics, themselves.

I notice now that the guards run away to get healed but now return to defend after their healing. Has it always been that way, or did they originally run away never to return? Also, do you intend for the town guard not to fight back when attacked on their way back from the cleric healing?

It would be helpful if the player received an audible, "Our allied town is under attack," when the main force was away from the town and Orcs attacked.

As was mentioned earlier, there needs to be a way to escape the cinematics when all you want to do is replay, and you've seen them before.

The second chapter I completed in 5 minutes. That probably needs to be stiffened up a bit. Plus, the route that I took offered no optional quests. I left the map about half unexplored before the cinematics took me to chapter 3. If there were still quests available, perhaps there could be some dialogue from the rescued character that there was still business left to attend to, if the party was willing.

That's all for now. Thanks for your campaign and for being open minded about constructive criticism. I hope to one day reach your level of design.

Also, concerning level 3. I have scoured the map and have killed every orc and destroyed all of their buildings. I found Medevih and reported back to the conjurer. I even let the computer sit for 30 minutes to see if any new enemy appeared. None did, yet I still have not completed the quest. I haven't been able to find any more things to do. Am I missing something? Thanks.
CrossTronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #14
Albiino-I
The Last Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossTronic
I have made it through the first two scenerios. I found the first one a little frustrating, because I continued to run around the map killing orcs, and they kept on spawning--sometimes in places where I had previously wiped them out. The first time I played it, I ran into a party of about 50 orcs after about half an hour and had no chance to defeat them.

The orcs always spawn in a group of two Raiders and sometimes with a Grunt too, there won't spawn more until this group has been killed so there's no way you could have found 50 orcs unless you gathered all the enemies in the map at the same place.

Quote:
Perhaps if the player knew how many "kills," or how many minutes he had to defend, there would be more purpose or at least some indication that progress was being made.

That's actually a very good idea, I might just do that, thank you!

Quote:
Some other constructive criticism about chapter 1: If you rescue the clerics prior to having the conversation that introduces the quest, the next time you see the "head cleric," he has the explanation point above his head, but he doesn't say anything. Maybe you could eliminate that.

That will be fixed in a minute, thank you for pointing that out!

Quote:
I also think you could do away with the hint about the town's soldiers using the clerics services. That becomes apparent; plus, it is explained from the rescued clerics, themselves.

But I want the player to know what the price is so he'll know if the quests completion is worth the risk of leaving the town unguarded for a moment while he's out there saving Clerics.

Quote:
I notice now that the guards run away to get healed but now return to defend after their healing. Has it always been that way, or did they originally run away never to return? Also, do you intend for the town guard not to fight back when attacked on their way back from the cleric healing?

They should return to fight after all of them have been fully healed, but it has always been a bit buggy thing. It doesn't matter anymore though, because in the next version the town's defenders won't leave the town, but the Clerics will come to them. It's more simple that way and a lot more useful too.

Quote:
It would be helpful if the player received an audible, "Our allied town is under attack," when the main force was away from the town and Orcs attacked.

I'll add that too, thank you for the tip!

Quote:
As was mentioned earlier, there needs to be a way to escape the cinematics when all you want to do is replay, and you've seen them before.

Don't worry, in the next version they'll all be skippable, but thanks for reminding me anyways!

Quote:
The second chapter I completed in 5 minutes. That probably needs to be stiffened up a bit. Plus, the route that I took offered no optional quests. I left the map about half unexplored before the cinematics took me to chapter 3. If there were still quests available, perhaps there could be some dialogue from the rescued character that there was still business left to attend to, if the party was willing.

Very good ideas, I plan to add an extra optional quest there - even though the original didn't have one - concerning the useless fountain you see in about half way of the dungeon and an ending, where the mines start to collapse and the player has to get out of there before it does so.

Quote:
That's all for now. Thanks for your campaign and for being open minded about constructive criticism. I hope to one day reach your level of design.

No, thank YOU! You have given the most useful review so far and I'm glad this forum still holds some very nice people such as yourself. If you play the rest of the campaign too, you're more that welcome to come back and give such a review of the rest of the maps too!

-:=======================================================:-

Quote:
Also, concerning level 3. I have scoured the map and have killed every orc and destroyed all of their buildings. I found Medevih and reported back to the conjurer. I even let the computer sit for 30 minutes to see if any new enemy appeared. None did, yet I still have not completed the quest. I haven't been able to find any more things to do. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Did you get the message of killing all the orcs? Because their Peons have a nasty habit of running away and hiding in the tree walls where you can't get to them. This isn't made by purpose and I'm working to fix it.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #15
d3v1lish
User

d3v1lish has little to show at this moment (1)

Sounds interesting. May I suggest posting screenshots? Also, as CrossTronic said, congratulations on taking in constructive critisism so well!

"The pen is mightier than the sword... but I have axe!"
Please, enough AoS maps!!!
d3v1lish is offline   Reply With Quote