wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
johnfn
Taur is... MY SISTER!!!

Respected User

Submissions (3)

johnfn has a spectacular aura about (129)

Send a message via AIM to johnfn
Default Zone Control

Zone Control - Beta: v1.1 ~ Johnfn

Summary:

If you've ever played some sort of Footman Frenzy map, Zone Control keeps the idea of spawning units every second but adds the strategic element that new bases can be captured, themselves spawning new units.

This Zone Control map leads to a fast, strategic game of 20-25 minutes assuming everyone knows how to play well enough.

Features:
  • 18 zones including 4 different types of zones.
  • Unique units buyable at any base.
  • Two different types of spawnable units (ranged and melee)
  • Relatively balanced units/heroes.
  • Unoriginal heroes, yay! This will be changed as soon as I feel like making some real heroes for this map.
  • Unoriginal items too. This is also going to be changed...

Team:

* Me.

Progress:

This map is completed in a sense. I could just leave it here and be done with it, since it is finished, but it feels like it needs more to make it engaging. This is really what I need suggestions on: How to make the game more interesting (and hopefully strategic) without sacrificing a typical battle.net audience.

Misc.:

As if I haven't already said this enough, I need suggestions for how to make this map more fun. Any and all suggestions are valid (as long as they aren't absurd ) Also, if you want to beta test the map, go for it. I'd love to hear the bugs you come up with... actually I wouldn't, I'd rather pretend there are none :) but any feedback you give me will be greatly appreciated and used.

This map was protected with Vexorian's Map Optimizer.
Attached Files
File Type: w3x Zone Control 1.1p.w3x (124.2 KB, 109 views)

Taur: btw dun tell anyone but I bribed the wc3c admins with a life supply of packaged peanuts to host UL ^^

Taur | Unsung Legends says:
guess what blade?
Blade.dk says:
JOHN IS YO BRO!

johnfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Moved to beta testing forum.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Orc Dork
User

Orc Dork is on a distinguished road (20)

I am working on the MAJORLY updated version with JohnFN, look forward to a fairly high quality map that may rival maps such as Winter Maul Wars in popularity!

FEAR THE UBER HORDE BABY

*JohnFN's Apprentice*

Will work for rep!
BTW: ... --- .-. .-. -.-- ..-. --- .-. --. . - - .. -. --. -.-- --- ..- .--. .-. . --. -. .- -. -

Warning: This Link Contains A Virus

Last edited by Orc Dork : 06-05-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Orc Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Fun little map, john. It was fun and fast paced, drawing away from your normal footmen wars or zone control type maps.

Here’s some things to consider:
  • The lumber icon in the main UI is a barracks, but on upgrades/items it is still wood. Fix that.
  • Your hero selection system was horribly amateur. I’m sure you can find a better way without having silly wisps.
  • You have all default heroes, we have a whole resource database of great spells, I’m sure you could get permission to use them to make some nice unique heroes instead.
  • When people chose their heroes there was horrible lag spikes, please preload all units.
  • Next to the buildings were ‘This building spawns footmen’ units. Not only is this ridiculously silly, but I could kill them! Better make the buildings that spawn footmen different form those that spawn archers.
  • Towers seemed extremely weak in comparision to the units.
  • Some buildings came with towers, some didn’t. This is understandable, however 2 of the players start on bases WITH towers, and 2 do not. This is ridiculous, all players should start with the same type of zone.
  • Your little ‘masser’ unit was certainly a nice little feature, but if you right-clicked on a building/unit, then the masser actually walked to the target instead of blinking. This should be fixed.
  • You had Mass Attack but no Mass Move, add it please. Otherwise you cannot easily retreat.
  • The special units horribly suck, perhaps it would be better if when you buy the special units then all units spawned from zones of that type owned by you will spawn the special units. Basically, upgrade your footmen to Destroyers.
  • Heroes were useless with their 700hp again masses of footmen with 150 damage later in the game. If you’re going to have heroes, make them have a much larger impact on the game. Else, remove them.
  • When a player looses, you did not remove their masser unit. Please do.
  • Did you kick players from the game when they died? If so please don’t. Just give them a Game Over message without forcing them to leave the game.

That’s all for now! I look forward to approving this in our Map Database once it’s polished!

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
johnfn
Taur is... MY SISTER!!!

Respected User

Submissions (3)

johnfn has a spectacular aura about (129)

Send a message via AIM to johnfn

Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I have fixed all issues except the original heroes one (I'm currently working on some but they could take a while) and have reattached the map to the top of the thread.

Taur: btw dun tell anyone but I bribed the wc3c admins with a life supply of packaged peanuts to host UL ^^

Taur | Unsung Legends says:
guess what blade?
Blade.dk says:
JOHN IS YO BRO!

johnfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
TigerBlud
User

TigerBlud has little to show at this moment (2)

Send a message via AIM to TigerBlud
Thumbs up Nice

Nice game, and it reminds me of the game Risk. But this is WAY better.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Hero12341234
User

Submissions (1)

Hero12341234 is on a distinguished road (10)

Heheh...if u need help wit h the heros i'll be willing to help...
Hero12341234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Moss
User

Moss is on a distinguished road (11)

I haven't tried it yet but it does sound like Risk and I love Risk! I can understand the unoriginal heroes and items. I made a map back in the day and played it with my friends but they were like "This is lame it is all just regular Warcraft heroes". So now I have been making another map with original stuff, for 6 months....

Last edited by Moss : 07-16-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Thunder_Eye
Lol I got a custom title!

Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (92)Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (92)Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (92)Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (92)

not very original idea but might be good anyway

Last edited by Thunder_Eye : 07-17-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Thunder_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Belphegor666 is on a distinguished road (16)

I tried out this game and it was rather buggy (I played this against comp):
-There is the flame hero and his engulf ability, but is so buggy I can't describe. OK, take the flame mage, activate his immol. ability, then deactivate it. Now you can spread flame like forest fires (while deactivated). Not only to units but to towers too...And soon games become choppy
-Also archer barracks don't spawn archers o_O? Actually they did some 10min after the game starts
-When player 2 died, it wrote every sec something like: "Player 2 defeated" and filled the scream with that message... One time was ok but infinite times suck

Other than those the game is interesting, esspecially the mover guy.
Belphegor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Doomhammer
This message has been deleted by Doomhammer.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #11
Doomhammer
User

Submissions (2)

Doomhammer has little to show at this moment (8)

Hm, I'll release my map Zone control Evolutions in a while (got the exams at University, so I don't have the time to finish the map guiding tutorial and the AI scripting up to next week), but I think - depending on your ambitions - you've still got a lot to do on this map.
Maybe you're interested in what an advanced Zone control map with many features could look like. pm me if you'd like to see a pre-release

My story as an addict:

before NewGen: I could barely bear the poor WE functionality for longer than 2 hours at maximum

after NewGen: Wow, I mean this got me completely immersed into editing, so now I'm spending on average over 8 hours a day with world editor, sometimes even doing late night sessions until the sun comes up again. Yeah, right, I couldn't keep up with work on my proper job, can't pay the bills anymore, and who on earth cares about my girlfriend? - I don't, and I don't care. I mean, the creative work done in the WE community in terms of artwork, of new systems and scripting concepts published here is so exciting that I couldn't bother less.
Doomhammer is offline   Reply With Quote