wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao
Default (1) When the Freedom Slips Away

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

After being almost two years in the making, it has finally arrived.

A small expedition arrives on a tiny island, in search of land to conquer. They're soon caught between two warring towns; a mad Lord wanting to take over the world, and another trying to stop him...

But there are forces at work here that are beyond any of them - and nothing is at all what it seems.

A Clan WCM map by Rao Dao Zao.

Author's note: Any comments concerning the music should be put off until the entire map has been observed and the links between lyrics and story pondered.

Update 3: Various bug-fixes and minor modifications.

Screenshots:
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=82259

WC3C Download
Official Download
Attached Images
File Type: jpg war3MapPreview_WTFSA.JPG (75.2 KB, 3251 views)

Last edited by Rao Dao Zao : 12-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Rao Dao Zao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

I'll upload this for you if it is approved.

I look forward to reviewing it, let's hope this one meets the standards! ^_^

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk

I played it before, but suddenly I was killed by creeps while I was in a cinematic and could do nothing. That's a bug that should be fixed, ideally all units that are not acting in the cinematic should be paused during a cinematic, imo.

Besides that, it looks great, I will play it again and hopefully finish, and then write a review.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Dorelian
User

Retired Director

Dorelian is on a distinguished road (15)

I'm sorry for having to be the one to crush your hopes again, but TIM TOLD ME TO REVIEW THIS!

Personally, I'm not too fond on one player maps to start with, but I let that aside and really wanted to play this one to be able to write an honest review. And I did, here's how it went:

- Opening scene. I thought to myself "hey, that's some nice opening music." I didn't like the actual scene because I could see the edge of the map, and that doesn't make a water scene pretty at all.

- The music wouldn't stop. I thought to myself "Dear God, I know I've been a bad boy, but PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!". I frantically tried ctrl + m, alt + m, turning the music off from the options, nothing worked. It was really killing my brain cells, so I had to turn the entire sound off.

- Lord Kirby. Honestly, what the hell? Kirby is the worst name you could've chosen for a lord. (>'.'> <( )> <'.'<) ^'.'<) <( )^ (>'.'^ <('.')> ^('.')> <('.')^ <('.')> v('.')^ v('.')> ^('.')v <('.')^ ^( )^ ^( )> (>'.'> (>'.'> <( )> REALLY!!!!

- This was probably intentional, but I didn't find it one bit funny/interesting/nice/innovative. I received the "defend your base" quest. All nice and exciting, I thought it was finally starting to get interesting. No such luck. My units got teleported into the water, I quickly built defense towers, the attackers went straight by them, detonating themselves upon reaching the main building I had to protect. At this point I was pissed and alt-tabbed for 2 minutes. Upon returning to the game, I had lost. Those damn kamikaze terrorists.

By the way, I hope no one will mind, I saw in your last map that you are fond on UT2K4 sounds. I decided to make you a surprise and post my decision in MP3 format. Enjoy! :)
Attached Files
File Type: zip KillingSpree.zip (29.6 KB, 230 views)
Dorelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

I know my opinion doesn't matter, but in the area of improvement I guess it does. Same as Dor my biggest issue was the music, it was just all.....grar. Thats about the best word I can use to describe it, FN + END ftw
Old 04-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
Author's note: Any comments concerning the music should be put off until the entire map has been observed and the links between lyrics and story pondered.
Note that lyrics appear only in the ending cinematic.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
At this point I was pissed and alt-tabbed for 2 minutes. Upon returning to the game, I had lost. Those damn kamikaze terrorists.

Time doesn't pass in single player while alt-tabbed. At least not for me.

Also like to suggest that the music is changed to be a music, rather than sound, variable, as this seems to be the problem.
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

There is a reason for this.

Using music variables with my battle music system (which requires fast switching of tracks) caused massive lag that is absent with sound variables. I am currently implementing a limited in-game volume control.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk

I didn't totally finish it, but here are my thoughts.

I agree with Dorelian, it was annoying that you could see the map bounds in the water, both during cinematics and normal gameplay.

As for the music, I never play wc3 with sound turned on, so I can't comment on this.

The cinematics were generally nice, but there were some problems. My units were being attacked and killed so I lost during a cinematic.
I think that it would be a good idea to use black fade filters when a new cinematic ends/starts, because it looks a bit weird to me when the camera and the units just suddenly move.

It was pretty nice to see the units speaking, but it was a bit annoying that during a dramatic cinematic, one of my soldiers were asking for beer.

I preferred the RPG part of it way more than the TD and hero defence parts, it might have been because I found them too long, and generally don't like them extremely much.

The terrain was nice, and the plot was fine too. Most of the map was really good, in my opinion.

The only big problem that I found was units being killed during cinematics - seriously, this must not happen. Better pause all units that has nothing to do with the cinematic and make them invulnerable, or do something else. Just be sure that this is fixed.
It will get my approval when you fix that bug.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Am working on various fixes for bugs turned up at other sites, though I'm not entirely sure when the next version will be ready.

And be sure to put the sound on for the end cinematic, it's rather vital
Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #11
Rinpun
User

Rinpun has little to show at this moment (9)

Very, very nice! I hope you don't mind that I'm using Hendrik's Captain model for a few of my own hero designs for some projects I'm helping some people with. That spinning animation just pwns :D

On a side-note, the music was incredibly so-so and the randomized three human events were just odd. I mean, I had one map with Hendrik farting over and over again, and then in another time when I won, the only thing he'd do was comment that "By 'eck it's wet!"

Last edited by Rinpun : 05-14-2006 at 03:21 AM.
Rinpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Don't worry, in the next version he won't comment during cinematics.

And that spinning anim is just one of the demon hunter's attacks; not difficult at all. Just give credit, y'hear! :P
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Sorry for the double post, but I need to note: an updated version with various bugfixes is uploaded at wc3sear.ch, and in the queue at Maps 'n' Mods. Been trying to upload it to my website, but sitesled seems to be down (again). It can also now be downloaded at the Hive.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

It's about time :P

I'll review it as soon as possible.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #15
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

I tried to review this today but I soon ran into a fatal bug. After I built my base and the Tower Defense minigame began, my town hall got damaged quite a bit, so I sent my workers to repair. I got a message “Don’t bother to repair your base you scoundral!” and about half a second later the game crashed with the Fatal Error message. What the heck?