wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:20 AM   #16
Iron_Ian
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

I think they did a good job of ripping + combining stuff. (Not sarcasm) Which can be a good skill actually. But if you really want to see ownage models just look at the original Utk23 ones :ggani:

Would be awesome if Clotaire ripped a few from Rune (or any other fantasy set Unreal Engine games like WoT) cause they would fit into the Warcraft III universe really well :gsmile:
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM   #17
Cookie

well, you should have noticed a comment regarding poly limits =)

The helmet was around 2k alone, so the model was around 2500 when merged (I merged Clotaire's stuff into one model, no need for attachments) which is quite alot.

merging other sources of games are easy. Supply me ut2k3 stuff like Clotaire uses in 3ds format and I can do the same =)

Still, Clotaire is one of the most active modders out there, and much kuddo's for that (although i wished he would put at least a small note on his stuff that the original source belongs to ut2k3. I even do that to most where I base off, which is at least what we can do)

Of course, apparantly Clotaire is one of the few who actually put stuff for free on metalplanet The same case goes for wc3campaigns: always the same people who put most out in model download (Note that the most promisable modeller's are working on Dex, providing the tools so dont blame them) . And the same goes for RazorClaw on campaign creations.

You see something odd? Usually only a few people make freebie downloads and are always the same people.

If the community people were thinking the same we would had alot of models by now. But apparantly only a few do that..

Most to blame is the community itself. We supply the sources and info how to do this. And most of you dont want to use it. There is no motivation for me anymore to create something if it is not used (I havent seen much custom stuff except in razorclaws map and Tides of Blood)=why would we? In a mod at least you know it will show up as it is "reserved"

As long as the community itself doesnt sleeve up and actively uses the models, then we will probably never get out of this spiral loop. Remember, it starts all at yourself.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #18
R2D2
User

R2D2 has little to show at this moment (0)

some of them actually come to this site and read these threads..
there only seemed to be clotaire and maybe 1-2 others who were any good, and not many downloadables.

theres more downloads of cookies, KDE's and Chobos stuff then their own.

plus their forums kinda suck with no special gallery or download forums, just everything plonked into main categories.
still.. I would keep an eye on it

oh and do you know what program I need to use the downloaded files?

Last edited by R2D2 : 09-12-2003 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #19
Cookie

Clotaires files are in zap. Rename them into zip =)

Old 09-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #20
R2D2
User

R2D2 has little to show at this moment (0)

damn, those skins are really rediculously huge 0_o :(
= not much good for bnet maps

you visit there much cookie? you seem a bit of a celebrety

oh and It's a Swiss-French site isn't it, which would explain why they would have all the fancy tools to make good stuff

Last edited by R2D2 : 09-12-2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #21
Z3n
User

Z3n has little to show at this moment (0)

well i think u make an unfair comment

You obviusly dont even know who can model and what models ahve been produced. You sit there and say look these are awsome why cant we do this, the fact is we can and have and surpassed it, look in the campaigns on this forum they contain models BRAND SPANKING NEW models, not just rips of other peoples work like UT2k3 or **** like that.

the reason there pumping stuff out there is cos few campaigns are in progress there so the moders pump stuff out to the public, your sitting there moaning about something that u cant even do from the sounds of things.

there some amazing modellers here who create new ****, but they dont release it to the public cos it waists the model, just to go in another 10000 version of hero arena, or another AoS, **** like that makes u think its not even worth it.

sorry if this seems harsh i just hate it when people start saying **** like this when they have no idea what people are capable of doing :nono:
Old 09-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #22
KDEWolf
User

Respected User

KDEWolf is on a distinguished road (20)

"Now Why Cant WE make models like this?"

Conclusion: They can't either, right? Actually some people like CitizenSnips and kdub made stunning model (even better than those), but that DON'T FIT W3 engne or purpose at all. Ripoff as they do there on MetalPlanet is as easy as extruding a cube, or pasting an undead arthas face into arthas with sword skin. Yes, Clotaire may have some skill, but it's really hard to know what he made there and what not, since the big part of it is compose of CnP and totally shameless ripoff from Unreal Tournament 2003 models. If you want that we at Wc3 Campaigns rip all those too and say it's ours, soon we'll barely know what is done by who. Clotaire even CnPed my Thomas skin from my screenshots, proving he has some skill, but no balls to ask for permission or anything, also claiming it as his work.

It sounds so great now? I don't think so, right?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #23
Wolverine

sorry but... I AM DISGUSTED.

Being formerly from a modding community dealing with fps' such as unreal, quake etc. , i know a thing or 2 about how much time it takes to make a decent texture map. This is pure ripping, and i noticed the guy didnt even mention ut2k3 before someone did it for him. This is way beyond ripping, and its makes me very very angry to see they acclaim this THEFT in that forum and partly here. I know he didnt contact epic nor the real ARTIST (sorry i dont know his name) which makes it even worse. I wonder what epic would think of this....

To answer the question, why arent we ( or they,the modelers ) quite simply cos having a unit with 5000 polys for a head is overkill already. And, well, personaly its the most disrepectful act we can do to an artist.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:24 PM   #24
Triceron
User

Triceron has little to show at this moment (0)

Inspired by this thread to set forth and prove the community wrong, I believe the community here is able to do a lot of stuff seen in that site, and maybe go beyond. I for one haven't shown much of my non-low poly stuff simply because this place is meant for Low Poly models.

Here's a head texture that I started and worked on for only one day, half the size of what its supposed to be. Sure we're not all on the level as the artists who do the UT skins, but if we all were we wouldn't be here making mods and stuff now would we?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #25
KDEWolf
User

Respected User

KDEWolf is on a distinguished road (20)

@Wolverine: Yes I would call that theft too, show that at polycount or any other serious modelling site and Clotaire would be in a SERIOUS mess, and I'm not joking. That's why I don't visit there or anything. I have only one post there and is a big flame, I must say (in the thread my skin was CnPed from the screenshot.. thats was LOW, I must say - link). I don't understand most of it due the fact it's all in french, but you can get the main idea... The guy was happy for ripping it off...

@Triceron: Wow it looks really nice, you can post your high polygon count models in the Artistry Forum > Off Topic Forum, your work would surely be appreciated there.

[EDIT - FIXED LINK]
Old 09-12-2003, 10:07 PM   #26
Nozdormu
User

Nozdormu has little to show at this moment (0)

I just looked over there, and he completely ripped you off. The thing is, he doesn't even think he did anything wrong!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:40 PM   #27
SektorGaza
User

SektorGaza is on a distinguished road (10)

That's a skilled rip off. :)
But, it's low. Very low.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:01 AM   #28
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

stop being so hostile, i was just asking a simple question.
Also the models themselves arnt that big, their only about 90 kb each, its the skins that are huge, so if u re UVmapped them and made the skins smaller, then it would be fine for bnet (whole thing would prob be around 300 kb)
Old 09-13-2003, 02:24 AM   #29
ChoboMapper
User

ChoboMapper has little to show at this moment (0)

the size of the file itself isnt realivent, this engine is not designed to support units of that high amount of faces, and will casue alot of slowdown on one of "blizzards recommended spec's" PC's.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #30
Andy
oh dear

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)

some of those models r in 3 or 4 bitzemote_sweat how would u import the files and get em all workin at the same time?:bgrun:
btw, dont bother answering unless u feel it is totally necsessary
Closed Thread