wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Model Resources > Animated Models
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao
Default Dress Your Own Golem

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

Dress Your Own Golem is a concept that has been close to my heart for a very long time. It's only recently that I have decided to realise it.

What Is Dress Your Own Golem?
Dress Your Own Golem is a set of models that will allow you to dynamically change your golem's appearance on a whim, and even mix and match parts to create numerous combinations of new golems!

How Does Dress Your Own Golem Work
There is a base model, DressYourOwnGolem.mdx, which has been salted with additional attachment points. There are sets of specially-made attachment models that are applied to these new points, meaning that you can assemble the golem without disrupting default spell attachment effects!

Why Does Dress Your Own Golem Work?
The golem models of Warcraft III are made up of discrete body parts (except the feet). Because these are free-floating, they can be easily assembled from spare parts without detracting from the model, as would be the case with an organic attachment set model.

Can I Make My Own Attachment Sets For Dress Your Own Golem?
Yes you can! I've even included instructions in the "INSTRUCTIONS.txt" file, plus the four Milkshape 3D files from which the included sets are built. Dress Your Own Golem is designed specially to make it really easy to construct new attachment sets!

Are There Any Drawbacks to Dress Your Own Golem Work?
There is no portrait, because that relies on the base model -- which is invisible. You'll have to work something out for yourself; a generic portrait of some kind, perhaps.

Miscellaneous
Attached is a test map to prove to you that it actually works.

Included are four attachment sets, using only in-game textures:
  • RockGolem: the original WC3 model reconstructed as a demonstration.
  • GolemStatue: the original WC3 model reconstructed as a demonstration.
  • CrystalGolem: liberal abuse of Textures\CrystalOpaque.blp
  • DarkGolem: SHOCKWAVE LIVES

Other Attachment Sets
Post your own and I'll add them here!
Please do not modify or redistribute any of these models (beyond inclusion in your project). These are a WC3C-exclusive resource, and I wish them to remain that way. If your friends want these models too, direct them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splash.jpg (49.6 KB, 3057 views)
File Type: jpg golems.jpg (79.2 KB, 2249 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x (1)DressYourOwnGolem.w3x (162.2 KB, 473 views)
File Type: zip DressYourOwnGolem.zip (216.3 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by Rao Dao Zao : 04-12-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Rao Dao Zao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Tot
†6†

Tot will become famous soon enough (53)Tot will become famous soon enough (53)

this is cool...

for the portrait, maybe give every possible head an portrait and use the head as dummy...
  • hunting emos
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tot
for the portrait, maybe give every possible head an portrait and use the head as dummy...
The problem is that you cannot affect the portrait in any way (?) in-game, short of a single model with all the heads and animation tags (and I'm not convinced that would work either), so it's a tough one.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

Yeah, what Tot said, that´s the best solution I think.
Really awesome idea btw, can´t believe no one thought about this before.

EDIT: Oh, well. You posted already.

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 03-25-2010 at 08:37 PM.
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Tot
†6†

Tot will become famous soon enough (53)Tot will become famous soon enough (53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
The problem is that you cannot affect the portrait in any way (?) in-game, short of a single model with all the heads and animation tags (and I'm not convinced that would work either), so it's a tough one.

coloring and scaling the original model affects it, as well as invisible-ability...
I think wc3 handles a portrait like an attached effect, so everything that changes an units appearance ingame (nothing attached/no effects) changes also the portraits appearance
  • hunting emos
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

It could even work for units that are meant to be to wear armor and stuff, only different proportions.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

Ooh, I can see some cool uses for this.

EDIT: I demand infernal golem limbs! Some robot parts would be pretty cool too.
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.

Last edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY : 03-26-2010 at 04:27 AM.
WILL THE ALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
2-P
la la la

Terrain Moderator

Submissions (14)

2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)

2-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

I think you could add a camera to the actual model - that should work as a portrait that displays attachments.

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolrin
I think you could add a camera to the actual model - that should work as a portrait that displays attachments.
Again, as far as I'm aware you can't actually put attachments onto the portrait; while the main model is stacked up, it would remain blank.

Funny story, though: the Footman (or is it TheCaptain, or both?) portrait does actually have attachment points. I'm assuming developers too lazy to remove them from carving the portrait out of the real model instead of functional, though.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

Hmm. Well I remember seeing it actually work somewhere. You could try, I suppose?

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

It can work if you bake the attachment model into the model itself with the "Path" property of an attachment, but that ruins the versatility; you're back to square one with specific models for each model.

Even making a single model with all the heads in is troublesome, since every time somebody added a new attachment set the model would have to be tweaked.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
dust
User

dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)

Hero #4 extra-official winner

so I guess it won't be possible aswell to creade some code which allows to add attachments to a portrait, aye??

Anyways, an awesome idea. Might try to create some attachment set for it if I find some inspiration :)
dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

You guy should simply make 4 dummy models, each one already has the head and it also has the portrait... I know it's quite shitty but it's the only way to make it work on portraits, I believe...

That or make alternate anims on one huge dummy model with the 4 heads... That isn't so good tho...

BTW RDZ, if I ever get to make a random golem to be used with this system, would you happily accept it and put it here?

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 03-26-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust
so I guess it won't be possible aswell to creade some code which allows to add attachments to a portrait, aye??
Not as far as I'm aware. Poke MindWorX and get him to hack the game somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc !
You guy should simply make 4 dummy models, each one already has the head and it also has the portrait... I know it's quite shitty but it's the only way to make it work on portraits, I believe...
Locking to any one body part would ruin the dynamism. I did consider putting in portrait animations to the head pieces, so you'd have to re-import the main base model for each one, but you're exactly right -- there's no "nice" way of doing this. Any option will require bloat and inconvenience across the board, hence my leaving it blank.

I can update to cater as best I can for a specific option if people reach some kind of consensus as to what approach they want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc !
BTW RDZ, if I ever get to make a random golem to be used with this system, would you happily accept it and put it here?
I would be absolutely delighted to append other peoples' sets (or links to them) to the first post.