wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001
Default GetNearest

Requires: GroupUtils

GetNearest is a very simple library that allows you to find the nearest unit, destructable, or item to a specified point within a specified radius. You can use a boolexpr filter as well, just like native Enum functions.

I made this because the concept behind FindFuncs seemed useful. You can still find the nearest tree by using IsDestructableTree within a boolexpr.

GetNearestUnit can easily be recreated using PruneGroup, along with more generalized functionality. SortUtils should be used when actual sorting of units by values is required. This library is just meant to be small and easy to use.

Expand JASS:

Last edited by grim001 : 02-05-2010 at 03:41 AM.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Isn't the Pow() function classically slower than just multiplying the numbers together? I seem to recall something like that. Anyways, this fixes most of the problems I had with Michael Peppers submission (lack of textmacros, etc). I can kind of see it being niche useful, but I'll let it sit here to get some more feedback before doing anything with it.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Anachron
User

Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)

Yes, Pow is slower then a*a.

Last edited by Anachron : 02-04-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (1)

Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)

Race-Building Contest #1 Winner

When you resize the rect, shouldn't it account for the map boundaries? While this is never an issue for units and items, it is not uncommon for destructables to be placed beyond the playable map area.
Archmage Owenalacaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Isn't the Pow() function classically slower than just multiplying the numbers together?

Depends on a lot of factors, like whether you would have to declare extra locals, perform extra set operations or make extra native calls without using Pow. I guess I'll benchmark it because I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage Owenalacaster
When you resize the rect, shouldn't it account for the map boundaries? While this is never an issue for units and items, it is not uncommon for destructables to be placed beyond the playable map area.

As far as practical usage goes, I guess this is important. I'll make all the functions filter out stuff outside of map boundries.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

I did a benchmark comparing GetNearestDestructable using Pow versus multiplication in the enum. There were 100 trees within range of the enumeration, and the test was repeated 100,000 times. The benchmark showed that the multiplication version was 0.0697% slower, which is such a small difference that it amounts to noise. In this case I'm going to go with the one that looks better.

I also fixed a couple typos, optimized the code a bit, and made sure that none of the functions will return stuff outside the playable map area.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Well, in this case, using multiplication requires you to declare additional locals or do the x - GetUnitX(u) calculation twice, so using Pow likely is faster. Otherwise, I believe I've seen other people post test results where Pow(x,2) was slightly slower than x*x while Pow(x,3) was slightly faster than its multiplication counterpart.

Either way, as your test shows, the difference is inconsequential in the context of this function.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

*Shrug* Don't need a benchmark and two posts to tell me so, it was just something that came to mind as a possible improvement. I can think of nothing else this really needs, so if it works as listed and no other reviewer can think of anything, we can approve it.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Going to go ahead and approve this, then.