wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
sluggen
User

Submissions (8)

sluggen will become famous soon enough (27)

Default disaster inc

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

Well i am trying to improve a little and decided to try coloring one of my "sketches".
I am a poor man so dont have any digital means of painting other than with the horrid mouse so i mostly wanted to try and improve my shading..
Posting this in hope of some feedback
mostly i wanted to know what you think is the best method to color a sketch, right now im using a layer with a basic color in 100% opacity and then paint with a 80% transparency(or 20%?) on the layer to be able to make out the lines. hard brush 30%opacity when coloring.
i have a feeling there are better ways of doing this but as im pretty new to this and to lazy to read long tuts im running in the dark so to speak. (i mostly do webdesign in PS)
I appologize if my text is messy.
Thanks in advance.

What im doing:
Zoom (requires log in)

Base image:
Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colortest.jpg (316.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg colortestbase.jpg (368.7 KB, 99 views)

mmmmm...mmmmm...MMM!
sluggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

When using a mouse, that is definitely not the most effective way to go about it. You've already got a nice drawing with values, use that instead of forcing you to paint unnaturally with a mouse. Put the layer with your sketch on a separate layer and make sure it is the "highest" layer, on top of every other. Set this layer to "multiply" (other modes may do the trick too, but multiply is easy.)

Then on the layers underneath that layer, block in the colors. You'll see that the tone of the greyscale image is preserved. You can now start tweaking the shadows, and when that is to satisfaction, create a new layer on top of your original image, and add highlights on that layer.

At least, when "painting" with a mouse, and using the resources you have, that's how i'd do it.
But if you're serious about digital painting, get a tablet. Get it second hand, get a crappy 50 dollar/euro/whatever one. As long as its got a pen and pressure sensitivity, it's already a million times better then any mouse could ever be. Accuracy is less important then pen pressure.

--

As far as feedback on the actual picture goes, don't be afraid to use some contrast, especially darker shadows.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
sluggen
User

Submissions (8)

sluggen will become famous soon enough (27)

thanks for the advices, ill try it out!
oh they have pressure sensitivity too? only thought it was for the feeling and precision people used tablets :). justifices my newbness in the matter :) been thinking on getting a tablet but as they are quite expensive ill have to wait for my economy to improve.
I could ofc do as you suggested and get a second hand tablet but im the kind of person that wants the best/new things or nothing. (bad habit). But perhaps worth looking into it.
As im going to start studying soon and am torn between art and programming i have decided to do some intense artwork to see if i have any potential, else ill just stick with programming.
And from what i have read/seen there are some talented people here so might aswell try and get some feedback here aswell :)

But in the meantime ill just try to improve my shading, as i find it easier to see/do/fix with color than just grayscaled (penīnīpaper) even with a mouse.

EDIT: talked with some people i know about tablets but they all recommend the 900euro+ tablets (wacom mostly) and that is..well :) anyways as im just after "starter pack" i looked through the net a bit and found this to be the most interesting: WACOM Bamboo A6
So basicly, is this an ok tablet or is it just crap?

mmmmm...mmmmm...MMM!

Last edited by sluggen : 09-02-2009 at 06:30 PM.
sluggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Anything WACOM makes is the shit, even the cheapest ones. Never buy any other brand. I have an intuos3 A5 wide for around 400eruos and it delivers professional quality, there is no real need for anything better other then bragging rights. In fact, the only reason i've got a wide is because of the widescreen laptop, A5 is just fine. A6 is somewhat on the small side but perfect to start with. I started with a second hand WACOM A5 that was total shit and needed its own power adapter, but still, its better then a mouse.

The pressure sensitivity makes a huge difference because you can set either brush size or brush opacity to it, which doesnt only greatly speed up the paining process but makes it a hell of a lot easier and more intuitive.