wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > -- Submit A Tutorial --
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix
Default Playing WarCraft on Linux

Warning:
This tutorial has a lot of information not newb guys don't need. Therefore this can hurt your feelings. If you are not a newb, parental advisory will be required.
xD

Creator's Note:
Hey guys, I am a fan of Linux because I need it to code ... however I can't live without WarCraft III. It was my first scripting language and it touched my life, thanks to it I found the inner (dumb) programmer that is inside me xD. So this all means that I need WarCraft installed on Linux.
At first I thought it was easy, but it has a few tricks ... and problems.
This is a tutorial that will teach you how to run WarCraft III on Linux using only free software (hurray Linux !).

The shell (command line)
The terminal is your best friend on Linux, it allows you to do all kind of stuff with just a simple set of commands. In this tutorial I will use it's awesome power, and so you must know a few basic commands.

To access the terminal do:
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

In the terminal the most basic commands I will use are:
1 - "ls" or "ls -l" to see the directories that are in your current folder
2 - "pwd" that stands for print working directory, it tells you where you are
3 - "cd" that stands for change directory, it allows you to change where you are and to move between folders when given a path
4 - all this commands are done without the quotes

The "cd" command is the hardest to use, but once you get used to it, it will be piece of cake.
To change to the previous folder do "cd .."; to change to a folder inside your current area just do "cd folderName". You can travel between multiple folders by doing "cd folder1/folder2".

This is the basic you need to know. For more information you can also consult our dear friend Google xD
For more information about these commands you can type "man comanndName". For example you can do "man ls".

What is WINE?
WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
According to Vexorian:
Quote:
What WINE does is implement an open source version of windows API and directX. It DOES not emulate games or apps, it makes the stuff run natively, although as the API is a wrapper over the host OS' API it will get a little slower sometimes.
For more information you can also visit wine main page, www.winehq.org, or if you prefer, our dear friend Wikipedia, Wiki search WINE.

In this tutorial I require you to have wine installed. Using the terminal it is really easy to do it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine

When running and testing WINE I advice people to use a virtual desktop. This will prevent your entire real desktop to get screwed if somehow you mess up in the tutorial.
To have a virtual desktop on WINE go to:
Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine -> Graphics Tab -> Emulate Virtual Desktop Check Box -> choose size (my native reolution is 1280x800 so I have 800x600 for the virtual desktop).

Now if anything crashes, you won't feel a thing ! =D

However know that WINE also has some serious problems that don't allow people to take full advantage of some applications. For this reason there is also a payed software version of WINE, called Cedega. You can visit Cedega homepage here.

Installing wc3 with 2 partitions

Assumptions:
In this short tutorial I will assume that:
1 - You have WarCraft III installed on Windows partition
2 - You are using Linux Ubuntu
3 - You are new to Linux and you already read Terminal section of the tuorial
4 - You have WINE installed

Tutorial:
To start, you must have WarCraft III installed on the Windows partition. After that do open the terminal as instructed above.
After doing it we need to install wine. Wine can be installed using the following command on the terminal:
Code:

Now, you must know wine is bugged like hell (it's free so xD ) in some aspects of the game. One of them, is that seeing the movies of WarCraft III will make your whole Desktop crash (unless you use virtual Desktop on wine. In this case the entire virtual desktop will crash...). We obviously want to avoid that. So in this case we have to change the name of the folder "Movies" inside WarCraft III directory. With a different name, there will be an error that will prevent wine from running the movies, and thus the Desktop will not crash.
So you can either do this by using the Terminal (again) or you can do it using GUI mode.To use the GUI mode go to: Places -> VistaOS -> Program Files -> WarCraft III -> rename folder "Movies" to a different name.

After changing the name, we must go to the directory using the terminal. This is how I do it:

Personally this is how I do it:
Code:
laptop:~$ ls
Desktop    Dropbox  examples.desktop  Pictures  Songbird   Videos
Documents  eclipse  Music             Public    Templates  workspace
laptop:~$ cd ../..
laptop:/$ ls
bin    dev   initrd.img  media  proc  selinux  tmp  vmlinuz
boot   etc   lib         mnt    root  srv      usr
cdrom  home  lost+found  opt    sbin  sys      var
laptop:/$ cd media
laptop:/media$ ls
cdrom  cdrom0  VistaOS
laptop:/media$ cd VistaOS/
laptop:/media/VistaOS$ cd Program\ Files/
laptop:/media/VistaOS/Program Files$ cd Warcraft\ III/

Now that we are inside the wc3 folder (using the terminal) and that we made sure our game wouldn't blow up for no reason, it is time we test it!
On the terminal do:
Code:
wine war3.exe -opengl
-opengl argument is optional but in some cases it provides extra efficiency to run the game.

Installing wc3 on Linux using normal CD's

Assumptions:
In this short tutorial I will assume that:
1 - You have WarCraft III original CD's
2 - You are using Linux Ubuntu
3 - You are new to Linux and you already read Terminal section of the tuorial
4 - You have WINE installed

Assumptions:
To start you need to install WINE. to do so open your terminal and write:
Code:

This will install WINE. After doing that, you must travel to the media folder, using the terminal. Once there you have to use WINE to run the "autoplay.exe" file. This is how I did it:

Code:
laptop:~$ ls
Desktop    eclipse                        Music     Songbird   workspace
Documents  examples.desktop               Pictures  Templates
Dropbox    gtk-recordMyDesktop-crash.log  Public    Videos
laptop:~$ cd ..
laptop:/home$ cd ..
laptop:/$ ls
bin    dev   initrd.img  media  proc  selinux  tmp  vmlinuz
boot   etc   lib         mnt    root  srv      usr
cdrom  home  lost+found  opt    sbin  sys      var
laptop:/$ cd media

Once inside media folder you have to know where you CD is. In my case it was in folder cdrom.

Code:
laptop:/media$ ls
cdrom  cdrom0
laptop:/media$ cd cdrom
laptop:/media/cdrom$ ls
autoplay.exe  DirectX      Movies     Support   War3.ico  WarcraftIIIManual.pdf
autorun.inf   install.exe  Setup.mpq  Trailers  War3.mpq
laptop:/media/cdrom$ wine ./autoplay.exe 

After this steps, a window asking you to install the game will prompt. Just install the game in WINE C: directory (or in some other place if you want) and install it normally.
This proccess is the same for both ROC and TFT versions.

Now after installing the game, DO NOT run it. You must first change the movies directorie or else the game will attempt to run the movies and it will crash.
DO to do, go to Applications -> Wine -> Browse C:\ Drive -> Program Files -> WarCraft III
In there you will see a folder called "Movies". Just change it's name to something else.

Now you can go and play your WarCraft III !
You do it by using the terminal by doing:
Code:
wine C:\\"Program Files"/"Warcraft III"/war3.exe

or by using the nice GUI WINE offer you.

Remember that when running war3.exe via terminal, you can also use the optional commands "-window -opengl". -window will run the game on a small window, and -opengl will give you a small increase to performance. Have fun!

Manual Shortcuts
If you don't like a normal shortcut or if you really started to like the terminal, then this is for you. Here I will teach ho you can make manually code a simple shortcut. Credits go toHans_Maulwurf.

1) Open your favorite text editor and copy the following (ajust paths):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /media/Windows/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III
wine war3.exe -opengl

In my case I have:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
wine C:\\"Program Files"/"Warcraft III"/war3.exe -window -opengl 
I decided to do it this way because I can now run wc3 on a window, and because it only takes me 2 lines =P

2) save it with any name you prefer (you dont need any special ending like .txt) in the folder /usr/local/bin (requires sudo - you dont have to save it in that folder, but when you do so, you will be able to run it from every place, without moving to the folder you saved it, using cd first)
To copy this file using sudo, this is how you do it:
Code:
laptop:~$ sudo cp FILE_PATH_TO_TXT /usr/local/bin
password: notTellingYou
laptop:~$

3) make it executable:
Code:
cd /YOUR_FOLDER
sudo chmod +x YOUR_FILENAME

Now you may start wc3 by just writing wc3 (Or create a new applicationstarter on your desktop/panel and set the command to wc3) and you are done!

Another nice thing to know is, that you can use autocompletion in the shell by pressing TAB.
eg: when your in your Warcraft III/Maps folder and you type: "cd Do" and press TAB, it will automatically complete to "cd Download" (if you dont have any other thing there, starting with Do. In that case you can double TAB to get all matches displayed)

Links:
www.winehq.org -> Wine official site
http://www.cedega.com -> Cedega official site
http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?q...h=WarCraft+III -> List of some WarCraft Bugs on Wine
http://www.ubuntu.com/ -> In case you need additional help, here is the Ubuntu official site
Credits:

- Moyack
- Vexorian
- Hans_Maulwurf
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 06-13-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

You should have to say that WC3 can be installed directly on linux and a windows partition is not really necessary. I suggest to check the paid option called cedega, which allows to even play the WC3 videos and run everything of the game as you were on linux.
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Quote:
You should have to say that WC3 can be installed directly on linux and a windows partition is not really necessary.
True, but in most cases this is what happens, people have 2 partitions. Also I don't cover the "how to do it without 2 partitions" thing.
Anyway, I think you are right, I will add one line or two talking about that, but I will not cover it in detail mainly because I don't know how I can do it (I made this tutorial because I created a small partition for Linux and wanted to share some experience xD ).
Quote:
I suggest to check the paid option called cedega, which allows to even play the WC3 videos and run everything of the game as you were on linux.
Well, I could do that ... but I am not a fan of payed software ... specially inside Linux, where the main philosophy (as I see it) is freeware (I joined Linux community because of this advantage. Ultimately I will also try to contribute to the community, but I am still learning).
I think a few links and a few extra lines won't hurt. Again your idea seems good, I will do it.

Next version will:
- Have a few lines saying that you don't need partition
- Have a few lines talking about Cedega
- Have a credits section

Also, if someone could change the title to "Installing Wac3 on Linux" I would appreciate.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Quote:
but I will not cover it in detail mainly because I don't know how I can do it

How to install WC3 in linux without a Windows partition:
  1. Install wine
  2. Insert your WC3 RoC CD
  3. through console, access the autorun executable (wine /media/autorun.exe)
  4. It will show the installation interface, like in windows
  5. Do the same with TFT CD
  6. Without starting the game, download the 1.21 patch (for modding) or 1.23 for B-net and run it via console (wine /the/place/where/you/download/it/WC3Patch.exe)
  7. Now play your WC3 using -window -opengl options.
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
Wine allows you to emulate games and play them on Linux.
-opengl argument is optional but in some cases it provides extra efficiency to the emulation.
Wine has a lot of bugs and problems. Emulating a game with Wine will never be as good as inside Windows.
All of these are rather wrong. WINE does not emulate games on windows, neither it is really meant specifically for games nor Linux. What WINE does is implement an open source version of windows API and directX. It DOES not emulate games or apps, it makes the stuff run natively, although as the API is a wrapper over the host OS' API it will get a little slower sometimes.

The bug list is misleading as most of the bugs in there are not confirmed. In the case of wc3 really, the problem is bnet, for some reason I can play in bnet, but some people cannot, this is approachable and you must include instructions in this tutorial as to how to fix it (Hint: Pipedream already told you).

bugs.winehq.org is not WINE's official page, it is WINE's official bug tracker. You should have used winehq.org

Quote:
download the 1.21 patch (for modding)
Since most recent war3err works perfectly in patch 1.23 in WINE (using PEdit) , there is no need to use patch 1.21 (I don't)
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

OOOokkkk ... I see lot's of new posts, which means people are interested, and that motivates me xD

@Moyack:
- I will see what I can do. I have this rule for myself: before adding anything to a tutorial I must tried it first. So, I will not add your tips before I test them. You may find it silly, but this is the only way I know how to make things.
More news coming soon. And don't worry, your name will be on credits, you can be sure of that!

@Vexorian:
- WINE is not an emulator !? OMG, now I understand WINE's slogan better =P
- My idea is to tell people they can run almost any windows application using WINE. If somehow I pass the idea that WINE is specific for games, please tell me where I do that, so I can fix it.
- I placed the wrong official site, thx for noticing that xD
- So, WINE's official bug tracker lacks credibility ? That is odd ...
- About b.net, I don't get where PipeDream said how to fix it mmmm I saw him saying I might get the melee games screwed, I even made a post talking about it ... I don't think I missed anything =S

So guys, I have some exams, but I will update this when I can.

For now the next version will:
- Have a mini-section saying that you don't need partition
- Have a few lines talking about Cedega
- Have a credits section
- Have a fix for the websites

Also, I already started making a few questions to JassHelper thread, with some luck I will not be a newb and I will understand how to run JassHelper without JNGP. =P

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 06-02-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Skater
User

Skater is on a distinguished road (17)

I heard that you should use aptitude instead of apt-get nowadays...
And this only works for ubuntu.
For arch its pacmans -Sy wine.
Gentoo is emerge and fedora is yum (?).
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
I heard that you should use aptitude instead of apt-get nowadays...
That's basically utter BS that some people spread. They recommend aptitude for some incredibly stupid reasons, like the superstition that having unused packages installed after uninstalling something else will cause your computer to explode. The thing is that using aptitude every is not the intended way and might cause you issues -like programs getting uninstalled when you remove a meta-package... -, so stick with apt.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Ok guys, I am just saying that I updated the tutorial. If everything goes Ok, with time I will also teach how to use JassHelper and how to play b.net games online (I didn't try any of these yet) but I won't give any guarantees.

Hope all of you enjoy the update.

Please make more comments.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 06-12-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Bump.

Ok, completed the Install WarCraft III on Linux using CD's part of the tutorial. I even played a little bit on b.net after doing it xD
Guys I don't understand what is the problem with b.net?. Apparently all seems to be Ok with ROC version, I will assume it is the same with TFT.

I now would like to add a few more chapters ... coding in Linux with Wc3...

Comments please =D

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 06-13-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Hans_Maulwurf
root bloody root

Hans_Maulwurf will become famous soon enough (52)Hans_Maulwurf will become famous soon enough (52)

Send a message via ICQ to Hans_Maulwurf

You might like to tell people how to create a (Desktop)Icon:

1) Open your fav texteditor and copy the following (ajust paths):
Quote:
#!/bin/bash
cd /media/Windows/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III
wine war3.exe -opengl
2) save it with any name you prefer (you dont need any special ending like .txt) in the folder /usr/local/bin (requires sudo - you dont have to save it in that folder, but when you do so, you will be able to run it from every place, without moving to the folder you saved it, using cd first)
3) make it executable:
Code:
cd /YOUR/FOLDER
sudo chmod +x YOUR_FILENAME
eg:
Code:
cd /usr/local/bin
sudo chmod +x wc3

Now you may start wc3 by just writing wc3 (Or create a new applicationstarter on your desktop/panel and set the command to wc3)

another nice thing to know is, that you can use autocompletion in the shell by pressing TAB

eg: when your in your Warcraft III/Maps folder and you type: "cd Do" and press TAB, it will automatically complete to "cd Download" (if you dont have any other thing there, starting with Do. In that case you can double TAB to get all matches displayed)

Oh and when you got problems with Alt+Tabing out and into Warcraft, you can use a second xserver using xinit and switch between wc3 and your desktop with ctrl+alt+F7/F8

Last edited by Hans_Maulwurf : 06-13-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Hans_Maulwurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

These is very nice information. Teaching how to creating a Desktop icon would be quite silly, specially because when you install the game it always asks "Do you want a Desktop Icon?"
However the shortcut for the terminal and the bin/bash thing are very cool, I always wanted to learn how to do stuff like that, and every time I see it, I confess it is a pleasure.

I will run the tests about your tips later.
If I add a section about this stuff, you will be in credits.

Now I must find out a way of doing proper codes in Linux, especially having in mind that WE doesn't seem to work at all with WINE ...

I already have the highlighter done (using Gedit or Kate), so my next step would be to teach people how to use it with JassHelper and the terminal, or even better, make a small application that could incorporate Gedit or Kate, but adding an extra button to call JassHelper...
I don't know how to do such things, but let's see it time likes me enough to do it.

Btw, thx for the feedback ! rep++

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Ok guys, another updated, I added a new section, special credits go to Hans_Maulwurf, thx for the help.
Waiting more comments =P

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 06-13-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
thelifelessone
User

thelifelessone has little to show at this moment (4)

bump.
Awesome tut. Helped me get it to run on Ubuntu. THANKS!
thelifelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

I am so happy for your post =)
I would also like to make coding possible for wc3 in linux, but such a thing seems to be impossible =(

rep++!

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 09-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
syltman
User

syltman has little to show at this moment (0)

Will this make the world editor work properly?
syltman is offline   Reply With Quote