wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix
Default vJass syntax Highlight for Kate

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

What is Kate?
Kate is a free open source text editor for Linux KDE distributions, such as Kubuntu (for example).
You can have more information here: http://kate-editor.org/

After submitting my highlight extension for Gedit I got this comment ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barade
Sounds well but I would have prefered Kwrite/Kate.
And I answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
If I do something for Kate, I will be sure to post it here.

So basically here I am, honoring my promise to this user.

I decided to create a highlight extension for KDE users that allows people to have highlights for vJass language and to read ".j" files in an easy manner.
I was very surprised when making this extension ... personally I expected Kate to be similar to Gedit, however it turned out to be far more complex for some sections and a little simpler for others.
The result was a highlight checker far better than I expected, with almost no limitations at all. With personal experience and after many experiments, I also felt astonished to discover that Kate was more robust that Gedit ... and Kate is a KDE program ... (KDE is known for being bugged, I am surprised Kate evades this principle).
Anyway, I can only say that I am totally sure users of Kate will enjoy this program if their intention is a simple highlight checker for vJass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vJassKateHE.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	41654

History:
Hidden information:

Version 1.00:
- Initial public release

Version 1.10:
- Improved the comments, now the user can comment and uncomment by pressing Ctrl + D and Ctrl + Shift + D respectively
- Remade the inner structure of the extension to accommodate comments and preprocessor notes in a different matter
- Changed the color of preprocessor comments to a different blue
- Corrected the keywords removed and added new keywords thanks to Barade
- Added folding to many expressions and a special command that allows folding
- Changed the credits

Version 1.11:
- Fixed a small problem with library_once, now it appears correctly highlighted

Version 1.20:
- Fixed a small bug with the region definition reported by Vexorian
- Changed credits
- Added highlight for commonj constants
- Added highlight for blizzardj constants
- Added highlight for AIconstants
- Added folding functionality to "textmacro - endtextmacro" as suggested by Barade
- Added folding functionality to "inject - endinject" as suggested by Barade
- Changed the color of the preprocessor comments to make them darker and easier to read
- Corrected types in History log

Version 1.21:
- Fixed an important bug reported by Vexorian

Version 1.22:
- Fixed a bug accidentally created in 1.21

Version 1.23:
- Now hexadecimal and octal numbers are highlighted
- Fixed a bug with the strings now if you type "hey\"hoy\"" everything works fine
- Fixed an annoying bug with the keywords, now they won't be highlighted inside phrases
- Added more constants to the highlight

Version 1.24:
- Fixed a bug with hexadecimal number highlighting. Now hexadecimal numbers started with "$" are also highlioted correctly
- Now strings with multiple lines also get highlited
- Fixed the document from 1.23, it had a "<" missing on the top
- Changed the credtis
- Added more keywords
- Added more datatypes

Version 1.25:
- Added new a keyword
- Added a new folding use for module and endmodule

- Fixed a bug with the "if()" word reported by Vexorian
- Increased the number of functions that can be highlighted
- Separated CommonJ natives from CommonJ Bj's. Now they have different colors, like in TESH!
- Added highlight for commonAI natives (green)
- Fixed an important bug with the highlight of commonJconstants. Not they ARE highlighted
- Changed the color of some highlights to fit better the new upgrades

How to install?
Kate only needs 1 file called "vJass.xml". To install the plugin follow the steps:
1 - download the file
2 - extract the file
3 - go to "/usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax"
4 - copy vJass.xml there
5 - done!

After this simple steps you can access vJass using: Tools -> Highlighting -> Other -> vJass

Note: All this process must be done with Kate closed!

After this Kate will automatically engage this mode for any ".j" files you open.

Hoping KDE users have fun and oping it helps, Flame_Phoenix

PS: Btw,I am NOT doing a highlight extension for Xfce if someone asks ... I also have a life you know ... xD
Attached Files
File Type: zip vJassKateHE_1.26.zip (97.5 KB, 220 views)
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 05-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

bah I guess I'll have to install kate to test. How many programmers' text editors can a single person have?
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Quote:
bah I guess I'll have to install kate to test. How many programmers' text editors can a single person have?
Lol =)
I am also a KDE fan, so it is natural that besides having Ubuntu I also have Kubuntu xD
You can dowload the entire system, it will avoid you having to transfer many KDE packages to your Gnome system and besides, the instructions I specify are specific for native KDE Debian systems such as Kubuntu. You may have trouble if you install Kate on Gnome and then try to follow this instructions (the folders may be different).

Basically you have to go to your Kate syntax directory and make the changes there.
Anyway, I am happy to see your quick reply here. Thx for the attention.

Btw, how is the Gedit modding going ? I already made the mosdifications but got now answer =S
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Quote:
You may have trouble if you install Kate on Gnome and then try to follow this instructions (the folders may be different).
definitely not true.

kubuntu's Kate package is exactly the same as ubuntu's Kate package, they use the same folders etc.

In fact, it is more likely this will have issues in a debian KDE than in ubuntu itself, since you used kubuntu, though this is not very likely, I don't think distros really change things like these folders.
Faster != more useful
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
definitely not true.

kubuntu's Kate package is exactly the same as ubuntu's Kate package, they use the same folders etc.

In fact, it is more likely this will have issues in a debian KDE than in ubuntu itself, since you used kubuntu, though this is not very likely, I don't think distros really change things like these folders
Really? Great, now you don't have any excuse for not testing this plugin for Kate xD
He he he, can't wait for you to see my extension, I hope you like it =D
Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

These plug-ins as different submissions are lame. You should just have one submission with a pack of plugins for use with different builds of Linux. That would be much more respectable.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
These plug-ins as different submissions are lame. You should just have one submission with a pack of plugins for use with different builds of Linux. That would be much more respectable.
I knew some idiot would sooner or later make this statement. Gnome and KDE are totally different I will not mix them both it would be an implementation mistake, to mix up two totally different things.... Any one who knows what Linux is understands my reasons. I won't mix the two submissions, it would be an ethical crime.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 03-24-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

I'd rather prefer a single thread for all vjass syntax highlighters, including the already submited notepad++ and that for vim in veroxian's sig.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
I'd rather prefer a single thread for all vjass syntax highlighters, including the already submited notepad++ and that for vim in veroxian's sig.
I don't think that mixing Linux applications with Windows applications would be a good idea ... why not include also Mac applications !? Seriously ...

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 03-24-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame_Phoenix
I knew some idiot would sooner or later make this statement. Gnome and KDE are totally different I will not mix them both it would be an implementation mistake, to mix up two totally different things.... Any one who knows what Linux is understands my reasons. I won't mix the two submissions, it would be an ethical crime.
Quote me saying that Gnome and KDE are the same or even remotely close. Truthfully, though, it'd be much more accessible if there were a single "vJass Syntax Highlighter" thread/submission that had all of the different types in it. Then it'd be much easier to sort and so forth. Having three or more different syntax highlighters and having to pick introduces an unnecessary step.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Then it'd be much easier to sort and so forth. Having three or more different syntax highlighters and having to pick introduces an unnecessary step.
Sure ... after all why not make a single thread for all Jass compilers ?? A single thread for all Icon management programs and a single thread for ALL modeling programs ?
Further more, why do we have a tools section? We could just create a few threads that can have ALL programs listed by categories ...
(irony)

If you don't do this for the other programs of the other types (I know you won't...), then don't do it for highlighters. It would simply be a non-cohesive decision... seriously, I appreciate if you want to mod my resource, but since Vexorian is already doing it, and having in mind this has nothing to do with Kate ... I am going to ask you to create another thread to discuss this matter which I consider off-topic.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 03-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Sure ... after all why not make a single thread for all Jass compilers ?? A single thread for all Icon management programs and a single thread for ALL modeling programs ?
Further more, why do we have a tools section? We could just create a few threads that can have ALL programs listed by categories ...
(irony)
Because not all icon management programs do the same thing? Because not all modeling programs do the same thing? Notice: All vJass syntax highlighters do the same thing.

And I don't know what you're talking about with 'cohesive' decisions. That's not even the proper usage of that word.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

Quote:
I don't think that mixing Linux applications with Windows applications would be a good idea ... why not include also Mac applications !?

a) They are not applications, they are just extensions for applications, all of which do the same.
b) Including syntax highlighters for mac editors would be a must, obviously.

Stop just being a jerk.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.

Last edited by Alevice : 03-24-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Quote:
I don't see no point at all in doing that.

Quote:
There's no point in that either. Nobody asks all timer systems to be grouped together, and they all do the "same thing".

Quote:
Notice: All vJass syntax highlighters do the same thing.
Not at all.
Faster != more useful
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Nobody asks all timer systems to be grouped together, and they all do the "same thing".
That's not true, really. We try to phase out as many timer systems as possible that aren't that great, then use the standard called "TimerUtils" that we have tried to keep to one thread. Notice that you didn't make "Red" and "Blue" in different threads. (But you did approve that silly purple version that no one is ever going to use just because it wasn't made by you)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Not at all.
Care to elaborate? What do they do differently? They all highlight vJass syntax for <INSERT OPERATING SYSTEM> or <INSERT TEXT PROGRAM TO MODIFY>. Anything else?

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 03-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote