wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

Default Spell costs mana but doesn't fire (Not triggered)

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. Spent all day working on my entry for the spell contest, only to hit this brick wall that kills the entire spell.

There's a trick you can do to make any active spell you want autocastable. By creating a spell based off of Orb of Lightning (New), you can select what other spell you'd like to fire at a specific % chance. This has worked fine for me in the past, but it's not behaving for me.

The first time the spell goes off, it works perfectly like it's supposed to. After that, it costs the mana, but doesn't cast it anymore. Any ideas? I'd prefer not to go and have to trigger the whole damn thing by hand.

edit: I know that this works, because I just gave the ability to a different unit type, and it worked like a charm. So what can prevent this from working correctly?

Last edited by ShadowWolf : 01-21-2009 at 11:32 PM.
ShadowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I wouldn't call orb of lightning autocast... It's a completely different mechanic and tends to be buggy (like not activating when attacking an automatically acquired target).
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Jazradel
Superuser

Submissions (1)

Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)

Send a message via AIM to Jazradel Send a message via MSN to Jazradel

Orb of Lightning has other problems. It doesn't trigger if units are only auto-attacking and not ordered.

No idea why the ability is only working once. What active spell are you using?

Edit: Nice ninja post Anitarf.

Table:
Jump Map
Point System
Warcraft III Model Archive

W3 Model Archive should be available from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cd5..._III_Resources, PM me if it doesn't work.

Last edited by Jazradel : 01-22-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 has a spectacular aura about (143)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

You can kinda get around that with a small trigger, to the effect of "unit is attacked -- attacking unit has (Orb of Lightning custom ability) -- Order Attacking unit to attack Attacked unit"
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 AM
vegavak
This message has been deleted by vegavak. Reason: rephrasing
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
vegavak
User

vegavak has little to show at this moment (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
You can kinda get around that with a small trigger, to the effect of "unit is attacked -- attacking unit has (Orb of Lightning custom ability) -- Order Attacking unit to attack Attacked unit"

Wouldn't that loop?
vegavak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

?
Oh. So? It loops, and the unit continues to attack.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Wow.. that's exactly my problem. I didn't know about that bug. Damnit. The spell is awesome, except for that.

Mwahahahah. Thanks for you help guys, with the info you gave me, I just did a workaround by making sure that when the unit attacks, it does a direct attack, even when the target is auto-acquired. Thanks :DD

edit: Lol Kyrbs, I did that and posted this without seeing your post. It gives a slight pause to the unit when first attacking because of the re-order, but I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Last edited by ShadowWolf : 01-22-2009 at 12:19 AM.
ShadowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

No probs. Good luck getting smashed in the spell session. :P
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
No probs. Good luck getting smashed in the spell session. :P

SAMURAI
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #10
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

Hey... Just because I got DQ'd in spell12, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it again. :P
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #11
Bobo_The_Kodo
oO

Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)

Falcooooooooon Punch !!!!
Bobo_The_Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Veev
User

Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)

You might also want to try adding the specific unit event, Unit notices a target in range, to a trigger for every unit that has one of these orb-based spells. The trigger should then have the following action:
Trigger:
Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Targeted unit)

Last edited by Veev : 01-22-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Veev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

^Wait, why? (I know of no "Notices a nearby target" function), yet that would just make your units super-aggressive. Just because he can see an enemy, doesn't mean you want him to attack them.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #14
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

Trigger:
Debug
Collapse Events
Unit - A unit Is attacked
Collapse Conditions
(Level of Autocast for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0
(Current order of (Attacking unit)) Not equal to (Order(attack))
Collapse Actions
Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Attacked unit)
It looks silly, but it's very effective. The order given when a unit auto acquires isn't attack, so with the conditions provided with that specific action makes it happen only when needed, and doesn't loop every time the unit attacks. The trigger only fires on inital encounter, because after the first hit the hero is automatically reassigned to specifically "attack".
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #15
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Ah, perfect. Thanks for modifying it.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 AM
xombie
This message has been deleted by xombie.