wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Hero Contest #3 - Altar Series

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

HERO CREATION CONTEST #3

ALTAR SERIES

Looking back in time, the first and second hero contests were quite successful, each bringing in loads of entries and a tough finale. But what did both of those contests have in common? They both asked you to create a hero that would fit as the last hero in the melee tavern. Well this time we're going to be playing a different game, let's see you make a hero that would fit into one of the race's altars!

Following the second hero contest's suit, the third hero contest will require an artist to team up with a coder to craft the hero of your choice. You may choose to create a hero for any primary race (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf). You are to create the fifth hero for that race, including skills fitting of that hero and that race. You will need to consider how that hero balances with the other heroes in the race and how it impacts the metagame of melee as a whole. It might sound scary, but with solid teamwork and design you can pull through with a winner!

Reward:
Awards:
1st Place Icon & Reward:Click image for larger version

Name:	Hero3_First.gif
Views:	390383
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	38487+50 reputation to each team member
2nd Place Icon & Reward:Click image for larger version

Name:	Hero3_Second.gif
Views:	467541
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	38488+35 reputation to each team member
3rd Place Icon & Reward:Click image for larger version

Name:	Hero3_Third.gif
Views:	272439
Size:	996 Bytes
ID:	38489+20 reputation to each team member

Contest Rules:
  • Two people per team, one artist, one coder.
  • No entrant can be a member of multiple teams.
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • If you are both a skilled artist and coder in one, you cannot perform both tasks and be your own team. Choose to team up with another individual who needs a partner and do that part of the tasks.
  • One entry per team.

Hero Requirements:
  • The hero must have only 4 spells, no innate abilities.
  • The hero must have a distinct theme. This theme is an important part of hero design, your artwork and spells must fit into its theme. There is no defined theme for the contest, but your team must create your own theme.
  • The hero should be balanced qualitatively and quantitatively as if it were a melee hero in standard WC3 melee games as a member of any of the races.
  • Your hero must be a hero for one of the four melee races' altars. (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf)
  • Your hero must have one ultimate and 3 level 1 skills.
  • Your hero must be designed with a max level of 10 in mind.
  • At least two of the hero's skills must be trigger enhanced, but you may trigger more than two of them.
  • You are not allowed to make purely cinematic spells. This means you cannot pause the hero, use cinematic mode for any spell, or anything of the sort.
  • You are not allowed to use the spellbook ability as any of your spells. Heroes have 3 normal abilities and 1 ultimate no matter what, no bypassing it.

Specific Group Requirements:
Artist Rules:
  • The artistic team member must choose to do at least one of the following:
    • Create a custom texture(s) for a model. (Unit models with >1 texture may have all non-effect textures changed)
    • Create a custom hero model with either in-game or custom animations.
    • Create custom special effect models for any number of the hero's spells and/or the hero's attack.
    • Create custom icons for the hero's spells.
    • Perform any one of the above another time for a hero's summon.
    • Perform any one of the above another time for a hero's alternate form.
  • Any combination of up to 3 of the above is permissible, any more than 3 used in a single entry will result in disqualification.
  • You are allowed to make a custom unit icon for your hero.
  • You are allowed to import an attachable hero glow effect model for your hero.
  • If you pick to texture or model a hero that is already present in the melee game, you may reimport the model with different texture paths to prevent model and texture collisions.
  • If you make a texture, it has to be at least 90% freehand.
  • You must post at least one WIP shot of your artistic contribution to the contest before deadline.
  • All artistic work used in this competition must be made exclusively for this competition, no previous work will be accepted.
Programming Rules:
  • You can use any type of coding method you'd like (JASS / GUI / vJass) in designing your spells. (Specify in the entry topic)
  • All spells for the hero must be designed specifically for this contest, there will be no previously made spells allowed.
  • You may use any script or system from the WC3C database only for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.
  • You are allowed to import and use a dummy unit model with a single bone and the 'origin' attachment. This can be useful for some projectile spells and therefore it is allowed. (Pitch dummies with 180 degree vertical rotation are allowed as well)
Submission Rules:
  • When the hero is complete, submit it to the pastebin in its own thread with the prefix [HERO3] and send me a private message with a link to the submission thread.
  • The map you submit your hero in should be set up as a melee map so the hero can be tested in a standard melee game.
  • Triggers should be provided to allow a single player to test the hero individually with ease and without having to build an altar and gain experience.
  • All submitted entries must use (4)LostTemple.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes)
  • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
    <MyHeroName>.w3x
    Example: OgreClanShaman.w3x
  • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
    <MyHeroName>
    Example: Ogre Clan Shaman
  • All imported content may be no larger than 500kb.
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 750kb.

Judging Criteria:
  • If more than 3 teams enter, the contest will enter into a public poll where users can distribute two points among the contestants. A person can put 1 point towards two different teams or put 2 points towards any one team; it is the user's choice.
  • The teams with the highest points after the public voting stage (Up to 5 teams, depending on how many entries) will move on to be judged based on code, art, and overall hero design by a team of up to 3 judges.
  • In the poll, users will have to rank the heroes from best to worst, ignoring any of the entries that they want to. Clear instructions on how to vote will be posted the day the poll opens.
  • The votes will then be processed using the Schulze method.
  • The teams with the highest ranks (Up to 5 teams, depending on how many entries) will move on to be judged based on code, art, and overall hero design by a team of up to 3 judges.
  • All points earned in each section of judging will be scaled to 1000 points and then weighted equally in the final tallying of points.
  • Judges will grade the final (up to) 5 heroes out of 50 points, giving weight to the following:

Artist Criteria
    • [100] Points Total
    • [100] Each art entry is worth up to 10 points based on criteria listed in the corresponding submission rules for that entry type, the implementation and integration of the art, the concept and theme, the style, the way it fits into the WC3 environment, and how subjectively awesome the art is.
    Coding Criteria
    • [340] Points Total
    • [80] Per Spell:
    • [10] Reusability
    • [10] Cleanness
    • [20] Efficiency
    • [20] Robustness
    • [20] Quality
    • [20] Per Map:
    • [20] Code Reuse
    Design Criteria
    • [50] Points Total
    • [10] Theme Coherence:
      How well the skills fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they belong on the given hero.
    • [10] Tactical Synergy:
      How well the skills of the hero work together to achieve whatever goal the hero appears to have.
    • [10] Originality & Creativity:
      How original the design of the hero is in terms of creative ideas, clever implementations, or new concepts.
    • [10] Melee Design Consideration:
      Includes how well the hero fits into the melee environment in terms of balance, theme, style, complicatedness, and so forth.
    • [10] Awesomeness:
      The most subjective of all grading criteria. This attempts to quantify exactly how awesome a hero's overall design feels.

Deadline:

The session ends on December 16th December 26th. December 28th Sunday January the 4th, 2009 (23:59 GMT-5) This gives users a month to get everything going. Potential extensions are possible if lots of teams need them.

And here's to hoping this is as successful as the past two!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Alright, this is now official. Let's do it, guys!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

So this means that now I can do a custom model + texture, right?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Yes, it does. You can do a texture + model + animations as 2/3 of an art entry. :)
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

And do it I shall.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Oh hell yes!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Vestras
User

Project Member: LoC

Submissions (4)

Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)

I'm in.

Me:
JobExperienceWhat I want to doWhat I am looking for
Coder, vJASSI have been vJASSing for 8 months, and I have plenty, good, resource behind me. Overall I have been mapping for, at 11-28-08, 12 months. I have made systems, spells, and also some MDX files, though that doesn't help me here. :pI am thinking of either an Orc or Undead hero, but I would like to talk to the artist before deciding that.An artist which has atleast 5 months of art experience, with original ideas, and also one who got Skype, since my comp can't handle MSN. PMing is also an option though.

Last edited by Vestras : 11-16-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Hmmz, last time I tried to enter this my computer bottled out.

Last edited by Rao Dao Zao : 11-16-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
TotallyAwesome
User

Project Member: TBR

Submissions (7)

TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via ICQ to TotallyAwesome Send a message via AIM to TotallyAwesome Send a message via MSN to TotallyAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to TotallyAwesome

Awesome, I will be making a model with in game textures and animations.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (295)Toadcop is just really nice (295)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

Quote:
All artistic work used in this competition must be made exclusively for this competition, no previous work will be accepted.
but if i need to hide spellbook ? =) (and put some ability into)

Quote:
You may use any script or system from the WC3C database only for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.
lol n/c ...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)

worst timing ever, at least for me. Term is coming to a close and projects and essays need work and study for me to be successful.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Yeah, terms coming to a close for me, but it reaches across both thanksgiving and christmas breaks. That for me is prime, gives me over 10 days of unabated "free time" with which I can create just about anything I want. Whatever school you go to more than likely has a similar schedule. Just budget the time on your vacations and you're gold. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadcop
but if i need to hide spellbook ? =) (and put some ability into)
I am not sure what relevance this has to what you quoted. (Art?) Anyways, the rules say you cannot use the spellbook ability as any of your spells. It is perfectly legitimate to use a disabled spellbook to add some passive effects to your hero that you cannot disable the icon for.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
Here-b-Trollz
Corkscrew Chainsaw!!!

Here-b-Trollz has a spectacular aura about (149)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd Place

But we CAN use it for disabled passives, right? EDIT: Yeah cool, edit your post without the 'edited by' line. Very nice.

Last edited by Here-b-Trollz : 11-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

I'll be in Christmas holiday from december 22nd....and we don't have thanksgiving...:(
But at least the current atelier project will end this week, so I'll have time.

Last edited by TDR : 11-16-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here-b-Trollz
EDIT: Yeah cool, edit your post without the 'edited by' line. Very nice.
I try to avoid doing that, but sometimes it happens while other people are posting. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
But at least the current atelier project will end this week, so I'll have time.
Phew, that's good to hear! It's not too tough to budget out an hour a day to work on something anyways is what I say.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
deolrin
This message has been deleted by deolrin.
Closed Thread