wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #106
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

BLPaletter can be used in conjunction with Vexorian's optimizer to further decrease the map size, and in conjunction with Widgetizer which speeds up the loading.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #107
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

I found a crash/bug
just click on wc3Borderizer.bat to see the error (you will need java)

It happens when blpaleter is called on that icon in input folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wc3Borderizer - blpaletter crash.zip (365.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #108
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

This is weird.
When I run it all icons get created, your tool says Done. No signs of an error.
All created blps look ok when viewing them in Wc3Viewer also.

Other people are welcome to test this too.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #109
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

It says Done to me too, but after it ends it crashes. (see picture)

It also creates all blp's EXCEPT disabled one:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNGGloves.jpg

Strange thing is that when I run BLPaletter only on that image it creates BLP without errors.

So why would only that icon version create fatal error, and only if called in a batch.

To make it more complicated that clawed-glove icon is the ONLY one I ever got errors with, all other icons from various file types work ok???

Here is the part of code that executes BLPaletter:
Collapse JASS:
    public static void SaveImage(BufferedImage iconImage, String path)
            throws Exception {
        ImageIO.write(iconImage, "jpg", new File(path + ".jpg"));
        System.out.println("\n" + path + ".jpg");
        if (useBLPaletter) 
            runBLP.exec("BLPaletter.exe " + path + ".jpg");
            System.out.println("\n" + path + ".blp");

}

Since this is not a critical error (it can be worked around) it does not really matter to me.
But it might be a problem to some users, and unknown bugs sometimes do happen in the worst possible moment.
So it would be nice to clear this.

----
Yet another strange thing is that wc3Borderizer creates infocard icons AFTER disabled one and they get created OK.

The more I think of it the more this sounds as unsolvable 0,0001% chance problem.
It's probably some I2H error :D
Attached Images
File Type: png error..PNG (29.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by cohadar : 01-26-2008 at 11:32 AM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #110
DreamRaider
User

DreamRaider has little to show at this moment (4)

Send a message via MSN to DreamRaider

maybe u should add this kinda thing into the wigitizer... like widgitizer automaically does it for u plus the SLK and TXT file thing.
DreamRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 AM   #111
botanic
User

Submissions (2)

botanic will become famous soon enough (41)botanic will become famous soon enough (41)

Send a message via AIM to botanic

The problem is that palatting images makes the use a color pallet (hence the name) and that sometimes looks verry bad dependingon properties of the individual image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botanic
I think we established that
botanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #112
XieLong
User

XieLong has little to show at this moment (7)

Botanic, I have a question: Where will the converted image go after conversion? I searched the the folder with the original image, the BLPaletter folder... but there isn't any .blp... Do I Have to put the GUI.exe at a specific place or can it be located anywhere?
XieLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #113
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

The GUI.exe should be in the same dirctory where you have BLPaletter.exe.
If the GUI doesn't work, try dragging/dropping the image on BLPaletter.exe, then the output image should be in the same directory as the input image.

Last edited by PitzerMike : 04-13-2008 at 09:38 AM.
PitzerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #114
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

When I use this, it seems to be inverting the alpha channel of any skin I use the tool on. All files start as .bmp and are converted using the following code:
Code:
BLPaletter input.bmp outputBLP.blp 256 -p
BLPaletter input.bmp outputJPG.blp 15 -j
Just tested on a texture with an already inverted alpha channel in bmp format and it spits out the correct way.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #115
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

NOTE: You have been redirected in order for our attachments to be made available to you. This will only last two minutes; these measures where taken to avoid hotlinking and bandwidth theft.
To avoid these restrictions Log in or Register

It's true, I had found this out just a few days ago.
Just didn't think anyone was using BMP format.

My old Photoshop version saved the alpha inverted on bmps, that's why I never noticed it before.

Here is a fix anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: rar BLPaletter15c.rar (166.4 KB, 2722 views)
Old 10-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #116
Furion
User

Furion is on a distinguished road (16)

Copied from my other thread, as advised:

Hey all. I am planning on importing jigrael's Demon Knight model, found here: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=87660 , into my map.

I am making sure I get the file sizes down, so I am using BLPaletter to make sure that the texture included with the model is paletted blp instead of jpg blp.

Can anyone tell me how to determine which quality I should ask for for that texture? And then for textures in general?

Bonus MDX Squisher Question: Do you recommend squishing portrait models too? Or should I leave those alone?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #117
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Furion, I usually find between 75-85% is a good value; drops the file-size while maintaning most of the quality.
Ammorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #118
Furion
User

Furion is on a distinguished road (16)

So you change the quality to 75-85% of the resolution number? And if I understood that correctly, how do I find out what the resolution number is? The only program I know to open BLPs with is WC3 Viewer and I do not anywhere in the program or in the frame that tells me the resolution.

Also, if I leave it at 100% quality but convert to paletted blp, will that save me any space compared to jpg blp, or not really? That is, when PitzerMike says in the first post, "These often compress better than usual JPG compressed BLPs." does that compression occur in mpq compression when you import and save your map or is that just image compression when you save your image file?

Thanks for your help Ammorth.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #119
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

The quality given to the blp paletter is already in %, so you don't need to calculate per pixel.

aka, a file with 75% compression, regardless of size, will take " 75 " in the command line.

The way I understand paletted images is that their size will remain close to the same (or even higher) when they are outside the mpq (import manager). When you save the map though, and the images are compressed within the .w3x, they will become even further compressed than .jpg variants. I believe using vex's map optimzer after this will further increase the compression and there are options in there to change the compression settings (instead of using wc3's defualt).

Edit: Sorry for not posting in your original post the first time around, I wasn't 100% sure what you were asking about and I was too lazy to check the paletter's thread to clarrify a few things. As you can see, when you do post it in here, its easier for me to cross-reference and provide an answer.

Last edited by Ammorth : 10-03-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Ammorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #120
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

Just to clear this up, only jpeg images use the quality percentage.

For paletted images the parameter you provide is the number of different colors in the palette. It can range from 16 to 256.
Paletted images will always appear to have the same size outside the mpq. However, images with fewer colors will usually compress better in the w3x because it'll find longer chains of colors and patterns.