View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I'm not too fond of the map. It's something original, true, but it lacks in execution.

First of all, the whole concept of the map seems only semi-playable. I mean to say, it's not much of a game. There is nothing happening that would require the player to actually... play. The map has all those great models and nice terrain (although, you're using blizzard cliffs; I don't have much against them, but it seems many terrainers do), but the gameplay seems to be only half-there. The primary idea seems to be exploration, which is all nice and well, but the map is rather small in that respect. Then there's the survival element, which is severely underdeveloped; I would expect to have to hide from predators like a character from Jurassic Park or stuff like that, instead I get to run around in a heavy armoured suit with a high-caliber automatic weapon which the dinosaurs (who stand around and do nothing), surprisingly, appear rather immune to.

The map has further technical issues; since the point of the map is to get dinosaurs into sight, I can understand the limited camera, but the way it is now just doesn't function well enough, especialy on ramps. There are times when it goes below the player and you can't even see the ground to click on to tell him to move on. The keyboard movement would help in such cases, if it wasn't also lacking. A quick press of a key does nothing, holding it longer doesn't help when attempting to turn without moving... It would be more practical to use the arrow keys to manipulate the camera and order the guy around with the mouse only.

The map is certainly original, and that's great, I don't mean to say it needs the gameplay of an AoS or something to be a good "gameplay experience", but I do mean it needs more than it has now, and executed with better triggerwork. Right now, it seems like only a gallery for your dinosaur models.