Thread: Table 3.1
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

wikipedia is wikipedia in that paragraph it is mentioning what a programmer thinks of associative arrays, not the definition. I really think these are closer to being associative than to normal arrays, it is also a good way to avoid people from thinking it is a good idea to use them in spite of dynamic arrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
An associative array (also associative container, map, mapping, hash, dictionary, finite map, lookup table, and in query-processing an index or index file) is an abstract data type composed of a collection of unique keys and a collection of values, where each key is associated with one value. The operation of finding the value associated with a key is called a lookup or indexing, and this is the most important operation supported by an associative array. The relationship between a key and its value is sometimes called a mapping or binding. For example, if the value associated with the key "bob" is 7, we say that our array maps "bob" to 7. Associative arrays are very closely related to the mathematical concept of a function with a finite domain. As a consequence, a common and important use of associative arrays is in memoization.

This reminded me I needed an exists() method. Updating.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote