View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Hello :P

I tested it a few times versus computer. I think the "basics" of the race are pretty covered; it is balanced, it has some special abilities that no other races has.

But i get the feeling its not finished. You may have balanced it, but you seem to have totally ignored the graphical part of making a race. Im not saying the models are bad; the models are very nicely made and they all follow a theme which is nice. However, the tooltips were the most obvious problem: For example, the gnoll brutes had an upgrade called "Sadism". This upgrade had the following tooltip:

"It gains 35% of its attack damage when it hits enemy units". I first thought "Cool, an ability that increases your attack damage as you attack". But then i realized it was just vampiric aura. Gaining 35% of your damage does not have anything to do with your health; the only reason you can figure this out is because its very much like the vampiric aura tooltip. This is one of the smaller errors, its just an example.

Also, i think the race uses waay too much of the other races abilities and ideas. Examples of this could be ensnare and berserker upgrade. You use a archer-unit as the starter unit and a footman-unit as the second unit. You could use something alittle more original.

Back to the graphical part. Try mounting a poacher to a turtle and just look at it. Its a gnoll poacher frozen in stand animation, floating in the air about 50 range about the turtle, swaying as the turtle runs its animation. When the turtle shoots, it bites the air and then launches an arrow from a weird spot somewhere behind it. The pocher is still frozen in its attack animation.

I know this is hard to fix, but if something is "impossible" you shouldnt do it. Its better to use a simpler solution if the result is better.

The heroes had very low quality tooltips and their abilities seemed randomly added. The blizzard heroes often have a special playstyle. The heroes in creep rebellion just seemed randomly put together with random stats. The "Technocrit" had grenade that stunned and damage units in an area (very bad graphics, a few clouds were instantly created and removed on a point, and the units were damaged a few seconds after they were created). He also had a invisibility grenade (never tried this one, but it sounds like a very neat idea) and a fire grenade. The firegrenade tooltip did not say if it was passive or not, and reading the tooltip you assumed it was an active ability.

The ogre hero had hurl boulder (very unoriginal, you could have based it on hurl boulder and then added something "special" to it. Perhaps the unit could get some kind of debuff that increased damage taken instead of a stun? He also had a armor aura that drained mana like immolation (i liked this idea) and feedback.

The lumber gathering system was a nice idea. However, you missed the graphical part (again). The trees walk up to the town hall and then mysterically dissapear. They shouold at least run their death animation. Sure, this isnt that important. But as those trees are gathered every second for the whole game, that little graphical glitch becomes very annoying.

I loved the caster units. One of them had a black arrow based ability that created a fire elemental. You cant mass these, since you have to actually kill the enemy unit quite fast to get the unit. But a few of these to target every wounded unit can be a very nice tactic. The other caster (a ogre mage) had a very interesting ward. The ward had endurance aura, increasing the effectivity of nearby units. They could then be upgraded to get customized debuffs / buffs and the ogre mage could even get a heal with casting time. This adds alot of tactic and micro. Ive allways wanted a strong heal with casting time, it adds to the importance to focus fire and interupt units.

All and all a quite good custom race. But as i said earlier, i think its far from finished. It needs so much graphical fixing, mostly tooltip corrections.

Thats all for now, i might post more if i play it again :)

edit: Im not sure i want to approve this map in its current state; i would really like to see some improvements before its released as a "full-version-map".
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote