Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Doodad Contest 1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm
X-SOLDIER

Doodad Contest 1
Questions, Progress, & Advice

Contest Link

This is where you can post your models for advice. You don't need to include poly count or anything like that if you wish to keep it a secret until you post your final model.

• Please be aware that stealing textures, models, etc. is unacceptable and will result in a ban or other appropriate punishment as determined by the site administration.
• No off topic posting.

EdFishy wrote:

I'd prefer the following when submitting your work:

- 3D File saved as a .MAX .3DS or .OBJ
- Textures saved as a .TGA
- If possible, the .MDX and .BLP's exported ( So I can import it directly into PR )
- If possible, the .ZIP/.RAR file to be named PR_Contest_<NAME>_<DOODAD>_<MONTH>_<YEAR>.RAR
Example: PR_Contest_EdFishy_Bones_August_2006.RAR
Quote:

- When submiting your Zipped model and resources, PM it to X-Soldier as an attachment.

Whoops! Apparently we're limited to 500kb attachments at the moment, belay that order.

Heheh, a lot to ask, but I know, but it would save me some trouble(Like you care Wink ) if some of these things could be done.

X

Last edited by X-SOLDIER on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:54 am
FriendlyWarlord

Level 8: Hydralisk

Doodad Contest 1

Hi, it's doubtful I'll be entering (I've never modelled anything ever), but I have some questions: why are there only a few sprites to choose from? There'd probably be a lot better turn out if you could choose, say, all the badlands doodads, or all the bones doodads. And are multiple entries allowed? Just curious...

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding it: do you choose one model from one tier, or all the models in a tier? Or one from each? Or as many or few as you want? Sorry I have so many questions Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:21 am
X-SOLDIER

Absolutely no problem.

The reason that we're starting out with only a few, is so that we can stay focused, and make sure that those few get done, and are of quality to be able to appear in PR. There are already quite a few doodads that are completed, and Adam has a nice big list of what is and isn't done that's been up for some time. Anyone is more than welcome to model any doodad whenever they want and submit it to the team. This contest is to keep a (hopefully) steady number, on a biweekly basis, and get some activity from the awesome modellers that we've got around the forums.

You can sign up for on or all of the tiers if you want. Each tier represents what's to be done. Simple has only one, while Medium and Advanced both have 3 models. You need to complete all the models in the specific tier, which is why you've got 2 weeks.

Feel free to ask as many qustions as you want. I'm usually around to answer them, and I've got lots of answers Wink

X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:42 pm
Daelin

Level 1: SCV

Doodad Contest 1

Must the model also include a texture? In the rules it was mentioned that we should only attach the model. I see "stealing textures" in the first post, which would probably mean that textures are required but still thought to ask.

~Daelin

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:59 pm
Zeeky_Bomb

Level 3: Probe
Level 3: Probe

If I'm doing medium, do I have to do just one or all 3?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:03 pm
Skizot

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

i would say all three since they are pretty much the same model with minor edits.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:01 pm
X-SOLDIER

Yes, the model most be completed and textured, and the Medium and Advanced categories include all 3 of the models.

X

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 am
CrackerJason23

Level 4: Marine
Level 4: Marine

Doodad Contest 1

Not that I'm going to enter this contest (though I would if I could model and texture well, or at all), but once a winner is given a screen shot, are they allowed to share it with people if they want to? I know if I won a screenshot, I'd want more than anything to see it go in the gallery with the others. I'm still waiting to see the units and structures section of the gallery fill up and finish and become complete and all that someday. Maybe I just like seeing complete collections.

So my question is, are winners allowed to do as they please with the screenshot, or must they sign a non-disclosure agreement?

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:08 pm
Skizot

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

it's theirs to do with as they please.

the video on the other hand has to be kept secret for a few days after they get it. It will go public then.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:24 pm
X-SOLDIER

There's one week left in the first doodad contest, and so far - Artur_ka is gonna be the one winning the exclusive screenshot, and early trailer footage (cause he's the only one participating, not to mention, he's doing a damn good job too). We've still got 2 categories that are untouched, and I know we've got some other modellers that could step up and take them down.

X

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 pm
Affects

Doodad Contest 1

Actually, I signed up but someone deleted my post... I would like to do all of them but i've been too busy lately... But I must agree, Artur_Ka is doing a good job! The contest isn't gonna be easy! Very Happy

Here are the ones that I have been working on... I'm not really sure how i'm going to unwrap them though... Oh, And I might try to do more if I find the time to unwrap and texture those before the end of the contest...

Edit: Is there a recommended texture size for the smaller doodads? Should I put all three on one 256x256? Or do them individualy on like 128x128 or 192x192? And any idea's on how I should unwrap them would be greatly appreciated!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:04 pm
Aikanaro

Doodad Contest 1

There's many ways of unwrapping that kind of object. Here's what I'd do though:

Because most of the peices in each of those doodads are kind of like cylinders, it's a good idea to make a cylindrical unwrap. However, you can't do it all at one time.

Assuming of course, that the peices are all attached to one object.

To begin with, you need to assign each peice of the doodad a different material.

Select the faces of one of the peices. Go down the modifier list, and click on UVW Map. Select cylindrical, and move the gizmo to fit the selected part. Then go down and click on "Fit". Once that's all done, go down the modifer list and click on Unwrap UVW. Click on "Edit", and only the part you've selected will appear. It should be in a cylindrical unwrap. Save the UVW file, and close that up. Delete the "Unwrap UVW" and "UVW Map" modifiers.

Repeat this process for each individual peice in the same doodad.

After that's completed, select the whole object (All peices of the doodad), and select UVW Map under the modifer list. Go ahead and skip right away to the "Unwrap UVW" modifier. Go to "Edit". Select all the verticies. Go down the "Mapping" tab, and click on "Flatten Mapping". Select "By Material IDs", and change the "Face Angle Threshold" to 180. Click ok. Each part you've colored differently will now appear side by side (not properly unwrapped). Save the UVW file to "Doodad1.uvw" That's the important one you need to remember. Load one of the cylindrical unwraps you've done. Select all its verticies and click "Copy" under the "Edit" tab. Reload Doodad1.uvw. Select the corresponding peice to the one you've just copied, and click "Paste" under the "Edit" tab. Save the file to Doodad1.uvw, replacing the old one.

Repeat that process until each one of them is in a cylindrical unwrap within the same UVW file.

Hope that helps Wink.

- Aikanaro

Last edited by Aikanaro on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
  Reply with quote Back to top 
Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 am
X-SOLDIER

Doodad Contest 1

Looking WAY nice Affects. Glad to see that we've got some more modelers pitching in. I'll get you signed up for the Medium Rank ones at least. I'll double check with Edfishy, but I think if you got them all on a 256x256 it'd be fine.

Also, thanks for the keen advice Aikanaro. It's much appreciated.

EDIT: If you're having a problem signing up in the other topic, please feel free to apply here, but know that this contest does end soon.

X

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:03 am
Artur_ka

Level 5: Zergling
Level 5: Zergling

Doodad Contest 1

Affects wrote:
Actually, I signed up but someone deleted my post... I would like to do all of them but i've been too busy lately... But I must agree, Artur_Ka is doing a good job! The contest isn't gonna be easy! Very Happy

Here are the ones that I have been working on... I'm not really sure how i'm going to unwrap them though... Oh, And I might try to do more if I find the time to unwrap and texture those before the end of the contest...

Edit: Is there a recommended texture size for the smaller doodads? Should I put all three on one 256x256? Or do them individualy on like 128x128 or 192x192? And any idea's on how I should unwrap them would be greatly appreciated!

Thx man. U made some really nice models thou.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:22 pm
Skizot

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

honestly, the way i do skins, is to make a large skin (512x512) make it as detailed as possible and then start scaling it down 50% at a time until it's at a size that still has good detail but is still game friendly.

protip: remember to do a sharpen every few layers or so... you'll lose all your pretty details if you don't Wink

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Silver_Fang

Level 12: High Templar
Level 12: High Templar

Skizot... weren't you talking about doing a fraps video tutorial thing a while ago?

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:03 am
Mantidz

Doodad Contest 1

Silver_Fang wrote:
Skizot... weren't you talking about doing a fraps video tutorial thing a while ago?

Yea I'd like to see a nice tutorial on that.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 am
Skizot

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

Doodad Contest 1

go here then...

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:22 pm
elvenflames

Doodad Contest 1

heres the first part for the advanced, i know its late so its just for if you want it.

[/img]

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:27 pm
X-SOLDIER

Doodad Contest 1

Lookin good man. If you keep up on it, you can probably get it done in time.

EDIT: As I'm unable to edit my post in the main topic due to permissions restriction, I'm gonna make a topic for you and Affects' Doodads. Your names will be added to the list as soon as I can get a hold of someone to alter it for me.

X

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2 Next
View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Jump to: