Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Doodad Contest Feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next

What did you think of the contest?
It was excellent and I'd love to see more.
59%
 59%  [ 28 ]
It was good, but could use improvement, before continuing.
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
It was fine, but one is enough.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
It was tolerable, but nothing worth mentioning.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
It was absolutely worthless. A waste of space.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 47

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:23 am
Dogfather

Doodad Contest Feedback

then theres no doubt u do a hell of a job Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 am
yoda

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

it'd help if there was something worth putting in permanently and not something sub par that would just be used as a temp........ no offense.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:01 am
X-SOLDIER

You mean as far as the final result? I'd like to help out more inthat department, but i'm not really keen on modelling, and I'm not sure how to get other people in to get them done to a higher standard of quality. If you've got any tips on how I could do that it's be very much appreciated.

X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:33 pm
CrackerJason23

Level 4: Marine

Doodad Contest Feedback

X-SOLDIER, I can tell you've put a lot of time & effort into organizing the doodad ccontest, and as a fan anxiously awaiting the project's completion, I want to thank you for rounding up talent and putting them to work. Seriously, good job.

But you want feedback. Here's what I think.

1. It's been 4 days since the deadline, and no winners have been oficially announced. Two of the three categories only had one person "competing," so announcing a winner is not really necessary, but it would make it seem more official.
2. To keep up with the progress, I had to read like seven different threads, plus this one (each artist's thread (4), the official contest thread with two posts, the announcement thread and the help thread). The final models and skins weren't posted in the contest thread, which I think would be apropriate. Consolidating some of these threads would make the project easier to follow.
3. Find more modelers. Advertise in more places. Get more than 4 "contestants."
4. If you're worried about doodad quality, as yoda is, maybe making deadlines isn't the way to go. Would it be possible to list every doodad that needs completion, and award prizes once an artists completes a doodad that is up to yoda's standards? You could just make a giant post, list every doodad that needs finishing (in groups like these bones were), and update it as different artists sign up for different doodads. You could then make the contest like the tickets at Chuck E. Cheese: One good doodad set gets you a screenshot, three get you two screenshots, five get you the video early, ten get you a guaranteed spot in the beta test, and so on. Like the tickets that get you the rubber bouncy balls and the plastic army men. Then, each artist can post his or her progress in his or her own thread, linked from the main thread, and you can harass/critique/motivate each artist individually. Think they're going too slowly? Assign a different artist to the same task. Think their doodad is sucking? Assign a different artist to the same task. Competition breeds faster and better production (see: wikipedia). Update the main thread with a new post whenever an artist completes a doodad set (listing how many they've completed so far) and remove it from the list.
5. Making a new gallery section when Berry gets back from vacation for the fan-made doodads is a great idea. It should probably be organized into tilesets.

I think the problem with the deadlines is that there is little reason for the artist to bother finishing on time. If no one else is working on that doodad, are you going to refuse to use that doodad because it was late? I don't think so.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 pm
Patriarc Zeratul

Level 12: High Templar
Level 12: High Templar

this guys got the right idea

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:31 pm
White_Knight

Level 7: Medic

Yeah, Definately. What? No one from snowflake replying to this?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:58 pm
X-SOLDIER

CrackerJason23 - THANK YOU.

!) As far as the contest winner announcements go, Edfishy's spent the last two days going over the submitted model files and writing up critiques with advice to help the modellers out.

2) I know what you mean. I'm a big orginazation person, but unfortunately I don't have the sort of forum permissions to get everything to work just the way I want it to. I usually have to PM Adam to edit topic, and things for me. Hopefully it won't be that way forever though.

3) This is a really big thing. As the First contest I had seen several good modellers around the forums, and hopeed that this would generate a slightly larger feedback than it did, but again, this contest was really a testing ground. If any of you guys have accounts on SC Legacy, other SC / modeling forums it'd be appreciated if you could post something when I get the second contest up and running, or PM me with some ideas on where to advertise so that we can ge some more people. I hate making an account just for that purpose, so if you would be willing to help out with that it would be much appreciated.

4) Quality. After the first critiques by Edfishy, hopefully there will be a lot of good material and tips up for other people to check out. Also, for the second contest, I think that we're going to narrow down the amount of doodads until we have enough contestants to justify a greater amount. I've also asked a couple other members of PR to see if they'd be willing to drop by and comment on progress.

5) I'll see if I can talk to Berry about this today, and see what we can get going, since having this up would bring a little more life to things.

Again, thanks a TON for the mountain of feedback, and I'll make sure to focus a lot of that into the next contest - which I'll hopefully be working on this weekend. I will also announce the contest a few days early so that people have a chance to know about it before it's under way.

X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:07 pm
Turdmoe

Doodad Contest Feedback

I like the idea, this first try was a little weak, but i think that it will gain more support quickly, especially if it is advertised. If I had known about the contest before it ended, I would have joined in. I just haven't had much time for this forum lately.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:28 pm
White_Knight

Doodad Contest Feedback

This contesthas good potential to grow and really become something.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:26 am
Punisher_x

Level 1: SCV

Doodad Contest Feedback

Skizot wrote:
everyone who WINS get thier OWN screenshot. never been released to anyone. they can do with it as they choose. at the time a beta is ready we will decide out of the winners who has been productive enough to be a member of the beta team.

Basically we make you your mod. Are reward a shitty screenshot. Dam not only are you guys lazy but you dont even have the decency of trying to have everyone else make your shit. I used to like PR back in the day. I Think theres major problems with it now.

- Punisher

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:47 am
Lord Dark Odin

Level 16: Goliath
Level 16: Goliath

Doodad Contest Feedback

omg...punisher...you're joking right? Damn...I wouldn't be suprised if you get banned or suspended for that crap. Snowflake isn't being PAID to do this. They're volunteers and they're asking for MORE volunteers. They're not tightly organized or all working in ONE building where they can easily coordinate their stuff.

Basically, everyone makes the MOD. and our reward will be playing it when its done. They're not lazy, they have normal LIVES. They have the decency to spend some of their LIVES making this for themselves and US, because BLIZZARD doesn't have the decency too, and YOU CAN'T. So shove it, dumb-ass. Evil or Very Mad

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:15 pm
CrackerJason23

Doodad Contest Feedback

Don't feed the troll.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:54 pm
White_Knight

Doodad Contest Feedback dun it wif or wifout

Punisher_x wrote:
Skizot wrote:
everyone who WINS get thier OWN screenshot. never been released to anyone. they can do with it as they choose. at the time a beta is ready we will decide out of the winners who has been productive enough to be a member of the beta team.

Basically we make you your mod. Are reward a shitty screenshot. Dam not only are you guys lazy but you dont even have the decency of trying to have everyone else make your shit. I used to like PR back in the day. I Think theres major problems with it now.

- Punisher

Ya bsides its only the doodads. The races have been done jus being updated. this is a 100percent fan based mod. every1 is welcom to contribute to pr if quality is good enuf. contest is designed to be a gud way to speed up the lengthy progress of pr. pr staff wud hav dun it wif or wifout outside help.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:05 am
yoda

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

Doodad Contest Feedback

Punisher_x wrote:
Skizot wrote:

- Punisher

It'd be a cold day in hell before we ask people not on the team to make an actual unit or building for the mod. Making a doodad takes pretty much no skill. How about you try and make something... oh thats right you just bitch about stuff.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:51 am
Edfishy

...Regardless, most of the PR art staff is still on "Summer Vacation", if you take my drift. We're just trying to give the fans something fun to do(and watch) until we're back in action. I personally think the doodad contest is a lot of fun. Smile

Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:19 am
Death.14

Level 14: Broodling
Level 14: Broodling

I'm just glad that the mod hasn't died, and is in fact growing.
And that there's some talent in the community.

I'm now going to work on my Math C assignment, instead of working on something I might have liked to do.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:05 pm
LiableSuspect

Level 5: Zergling
Level 5: Zergling

Doodad Contest Feedback

Punisher_x wrote:
Skizot wrote:

- Punisher

You bitch and moan about it now, honestly your sense of logic is non existent. Having the public help with doing the doodads is the most intelligent idea ive seen a project actually attempt being that the simplicity of each model takes less skill then it does to fully form a sentence of correct standards, which you so obviously lack. i see why you complain. If this isnt your peice of pie then dont reply to it, ignore it, but dont state that their lazy because their more intelligent than most mods to let the public help with one of the most time consuming processes for a mod. You'd rather have them have us wait for themt o recreate EVERY doodad before releasing anything of the mod? They have lives this is a way for them to get SOME of that back while a job is actually getting done. Rethink your statement before you think of ever posting again. Im sure once the mod is actually released he'll retract this statement... assholes tend to do things like that

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Punisher_x

Doodad Contest Feedback

yoda wrote:
Punisher_x wrote:
Skizot wrote:

- Punisher

It'd be a cold day in hell before we ask people not on the team to make an actual unit or building for the mod. Making a doodad takes pretty much no skill. How about you try and make something... oh thats right you just bitch about stuff.

I do make doodads check my profile retard. Im not just bitching without a background. I am a modder. I used to have respect for this mod. I like many of the old modders you had. This mod had a alot of potential back in the day. Now i have none seeing your progress. Seeing how you shit on people like Oinkerwinkle when they try to help. Seeing how you require others to make your mod like that kid that made you the valkery.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:21 pm
Typhon

that kid that made the valkyrie is on the team

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:52 pm
Oinkerwinkle

Quote:
Seeing how you shit on people like Oinkerwinkle when they try to help.
I must disagree with that.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Jump to: