Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Fan Area » Anybody's Art
Starcraft Beachead
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [86 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm
jekyll

Level 19: Siege Tank

Starcraft Beachead

There has been some confusion about what I have been doing with these threads so I started this one:

Starcraft Beachhead, formally known as "Recon Beachhead" is a cg film project I started to improve my skills and showcase my work as I wait for paying work, with an eye for a cinematic for Project Revolution should Snowflake take an interest.

I started Recon back in 04 but tabled it after writting the treatment and shooting the opening.

Beachhead takes place on an uninhabited planet on the fringe of the sector. The plot is similar to one of the Starcraft books with my own twists. It is almost completely different then the original Recon plot.

I am breaking the movie down into 8 segments, and am currently working on the exterior shots of segment 1. I am hoping to have these scenes all roughed out within a month, but that is subject to change.

Since I make my living as a professional cg modeler, please be patient.

The movie is of undetermined length, and will hopefully have every terran and zerg unit, as well as every zerg structure.

I am using models I made over the past 4 years, however if I like something from starcraft 2, I may use it, mixing old and new. Since I have made almost every unit and building of all 3 races, I have quite a library to choose from.

I wish to include human character scenes between action shots, including dialog, however my skills are almost nonexistant in that venue, so that is up in the air at this time. You can see some of my work in the admiral thread.

I am currently rendering in cinema 10 at 1024x640 and plan to reduce the final product to ease file size and bandwidth concerns. Rendering is incredibly time consuming, eating up my computer resources for days at a time, so final renders will only be done when I am away from my computer for more then 8 hours....

Some shots (like sky scenes) however will be rendered with Max 7.

I have my own hosting, (I offered half to Snowflake but they turned it down) so may use that to host the movie. Hosting is far off however. Sad

You can see test clips at the old metalwar fan art forums. The site is woefully out of date. Sad

Currently several people have offered to help me in this endevour. If you wish to contribute skills or computing power let me know. Yes I have music in mind, but I am focusing on the visual side of the movie at this time.

Several threads I have started (the admiral, xel'naga temple, overlord) are wip elements of this project.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:04 pm
Arcano200

Level 5: Zergling

Starcraft Beachead

Looks fantastic
Can I help you out with the rendering, please, I have max 8.
Are you planing on making more movies or just this one, I mean those are a lot of high quality meshes and it would be pity not to use them more than once.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:14 pm
Feanor

Level 21: Archon

Starcraft Beachead

Yay. Awesome. Oh and have you considered using wc3 editor to just import the models, and make a cinematic map in wc3 with the camera edits?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 am
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Arcano200 wrote:
Looks fantastic
Can I help you out with the rendering, please, I have max 8.
Are you planing on making more movies or just this one, I mean those are a lot of high quality meshes and it would be pity not to use them more than once.

Yes, you can help, either as a render engine, or doing a scene. Aikanaro has offered to help as well, but is currently swamped with school work.

Right now, the majority of scenes will be in cinema, since I am familiar with it, and all the models are set up for it. (textured, rigged, etc)

No, I can't import them to wc3, the polycount is to high. lol The mutalisk is slightly under 14,000 triangles, the behomoth battlecruiser is 20,212. The Hercules hybrid is 25k+.

I had 5 movies in mind for Starcraft, but I folded 1 into Beachhead. I do not plan on making them all, Beachhead alone could take a year. There are a LOT of scenes, and a lot of rendering to do.

Even though I have almost every model done doesn't mean I will go with them all, For instance, my marine is extremely poly heavy, and old school, I much prefer the new sc2 version, so will be modeling that. I model fast, so it shouldn't take more then a week to rough out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:52 pm
Arcano200

Starcraft Beachead

A lot of scenes means a lot of people to work on them
14.000 triangles! Reminds me of Crysis ...
Aikanaro isn't the only one swamped with schoolwork Sad

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Arcano200 wrote:
A lot of scenes means a lot of people to work on them
14.000 triangles! Reminds me of Crysis ...
Aikanaro isn't the only one swamped with schoolwork Sad

It isn't the mutalisks that I am having trouble rendering, it is the planets, lasers, and battlecruisers. I turn on shadows with a planet in the scene and the render frame rate drops to 1 per hour or 1 every 2 hours. Since there is on average a minimum of 120 frames per scene...you do the math. sigh

Lol I graduated college 13 years ago, so don't look at me!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:37 pm
Arcano200

Starcraft Beachead

jekyll wrote:

Wait a minute, that means you model things for a living, I mean no one could be that good without proper training

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:30 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Arcano200 wrote:
jekyll wrote:

Wait a minute, that means you model things for a living, I mean no one could be that good without proper training

Yes, I model things for a living. No, I never got formal training for cg work. Ed "Thor" Giddings got me into modeling and walked me through my first 2 years. Mechmaster also taught me a great deal, and still clues me in on things from time to time.

I started with Truespace 2, then moved to inspire 3d, then cinema 3-10. I still model in inspire though, it's modeling program is simple and easy to use.

I have other programs, but only to convert models from the metalwar team to a format I can use. Smile

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Sorry for the double post.
Update: I have a couple more scenes ready, and 3 more in progress.

I have gone back and retooled the bc volley fire scene....you can also see the defensive matrix shields. Smile I am debating retooling the scene where they are applied and how to go about it...

I roughed out the timesheet and about 2/3rds of the dialog script. Segments 3-4, and 6-8 are done. the other segments are in various stages...I am still feeling things out.

I also got the devourer spit down and test rendered. Twisted Evil

The ground scenes are pretty intense, I am getting lerry about making them. lol Rolling Eyes I wish cinema treated particles like lightwave does, allowing the user to set a collision tag on an object..sigh It would make things sooo easier! Crying or Very sad

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:56 am
Feanor

Wow sweet. More screens?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:35 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Feanor wrote:
Wow sweet. More screens?

Ok, since you asked so nicely. lol

This scene has been giving me fits. It will not render right for some strange obnoxious reason. I am getting seriously annoyed. Mad

It looks cool in stills though.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 am
Feanor

Yay. More more more. Sorry. But really. More?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:22 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Feanor wrote:
Yay. More more more. Sorry. But really. More?

lol

Trying to toast a battlecruiser right now, I will try to get something else later.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:22 am
Feanor

A battlecruiser fits in your toaster?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:58 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Laughing cute, real cute.

I have been working on the hawking scene, puttering around with the script, and doing some head experiments.

So far I have over a dozen basic male heads, that should be plenty. I want at least 2-3 female heads too. (valkyrie pilot, bridge petty officer, medic)

Getting different racial types is almost impossible. I can do caucasian and black, but asian, and indian are going to be rough. sigh

Here is a screengrab of the Hawking:

And a couple head tests: Cinema is acting up, so the hair is on the fritz. (no pun intended)

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:52 pm
Arcano200

Starcraft Beachead

Why do you want to make more racial types?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 pm
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Arcano200 wrote:
Why do you want to make more racial types?

I want a diverse cast reflecting our own society. Kinda bogus to have everyone look the same.

More heads:

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm
Feanor

So do we get a completion date, so we can crucify you if you don't finish on time? ^^ <3

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:11 am
jekyll

Starcraft Beachead

Feanor wrote:
So do we get a completion date, so we can crucify you if you don't finish on time? ^^ <3

No, no completion date posting. I have no idea when I will finish the first segment, let alone all 8! I am trying to find work right now, budget is shrinking and that means times are getting royally tough. The past 2 days I have been revamping my portfolio and demo reel:

http://www.metalwar2305.com/chris%20hechtl%20demo%20reel%2008.wmv

I did a test movie the other day and it pointed out a few things I need to work on and correct. I should take notes, and will do so when I have more time. I have played with a few more heads, the cast is going to be interesting to shoot.

I was debating adding a hyperspace scene, but after rendering a test of the Metalwar Terran destroyer in hyper...I am probably going to pass on it. It took 10.5 hours to render, and it had an annoying tiling problem that didnt show till I watched the finished movie. sigh. rendering a fleet in hyper.....no, I think I will pass. lol Would have been wicked though...

You can actually see the hyperspace trick at the begining of the demo. The Destroyer version used a different skin that didnt tile right though. sigh

On a lighter note, I finished roughing out 2 more scenes, so they should be ready for rendering.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Feanor

Yay progress.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [86 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Fan Area » Anybody's Art
Jump to: