Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Fan Area » General Discussion » The Void
Supreme Commander is released!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:20 am
Commodore Nuclear X

Level 14: Broodling

SupCom has been released (and already has 2 warez download links.)
www.supremecommander.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_commander

It's on a DVD-DL!

System requirements:
Windows Edition:
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista

Minimum:
Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor
RAM: 512 MB RAM
Video Card: 128MB video RAM or greater, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support
HDD: 8GB available hard drive space
Internet: 56.6 Kbps Internet connection required

Recommended:
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor or better
RAM: 1GB RAM or better
Video Card: 256 MB Video RAM, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support {Nvidia 6800 or better, ATI X800 XL, ATI X1300 or better)
HDD: 8GB available hard drive space
Internet: Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds
Others: Sound card, speakers or headphones

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:17 am
Shortyland05

How much micromanagement is there?
Is it a C&C style game, Blizzardy type game, DoW type, or a league of its own?
and one final question... how do you get resources?

(please note that I only visited the official website and didnt look much...)

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:06 am
Commodore Nuclear X

2 resources: mass, energy. dont know how they are harvested.

it's a total annihilationy + league of its own game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 am
random_salad

Location: within each salad, lies a vibrant flaming popsicle.

It's potentially the worst game I have ever tried playing.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:55 am
Feanor

Level 21: Archon

Looks really Age of Empirish....... and the unit combat looks really dumb :/ sorry not worth my time......

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:31 am
Lord Derith

Level 10: Firebat
Level 10: Firebat

from playing the demo alone, it had an incredibly big learning curve

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:07 am
Berry2K

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

It's not about micromanagement; it's about grand scale strategy. I'll definitely get it... after I get a new computer Sad

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:04 am
Shortyland05

From what I hear, you have to learn alot... not good for the aged community (as in the 20+)

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:52 am
D-Man

Level 6: Zealot

I already have the game. Yeah, it takes quite some time to learn all you need to survive, but it's actually an excellent game, in my opinion. The fact that it dares be different than what we're fed these days might make some reluctant, yet it succeeds with honors in bringing innovative gameplay 'n' such. Besides it takes a lot to get the hang of, but from there on in, you won't need too much time to master it (given, of course, you play online) since it kinda forces macros and the controls make it easy to outflank an enemy base.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:57 am
Death.14

ah, ok, so it's like snowboarding.
hard to learn, easy to master.

as opposed to skiing, which is the opposite. More like starcraft.

hmm.. judging by how it runs on your machine/s, how do you think it'd run on my laptop?

2.0 GHz Centrino Processor
1 GB DDR2 RAM
128 MB X700

....perhaps I should run it on lowest quality? Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:51 am
D-Man

Well I didn't get to run it above low quality. Though on a PC I should say you'd have better chances. It all depends on how well your components blend in, if you get what I'm saying.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 am
Shortyland05

ok if you were to seperate Surpreme Commander in 3 ways from all of the other RTS's what would they be?

what makes it different?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:02 pm
Commodore Nuclear X

(1) Scale.
the fighting happens on a much bigger scale than all the other RTSs.
(2) Simulation.
Supcom's unit counters system is based on simulation rather than on paper-scissors-rock style artificial and forced counters found in other games where paper does extra damage to rock, which does extra damage to scissors which does extra damage to paper.
(3) Sides Symmetry.
This one is not exactly a separating factor as there are many RTSs with symmetrical sides who simply look different (e.g. TA, WC2, WC3), but this symmetry separates it from the only other greatest RTS of all times: SCBW.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 pm
Feanor

Only other greatest rts of all time? since when does supreme commander become a "greatest rts of all time" less then a month after being released?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 pm
AqoTrooper

Level 24: Reaver
Level 24: Reaver

Supreme Commander is basically crap. I already wrote a long rant elsewhere and I'm not going to repeat it here, I'll just sum up the main points:

SupCom is not really a game, it's a simulation. The fun in a game comes from having to make decisions and executing them, also known as: tactics, micro. However, in SupCom, there are no decisions for you to make. The gameplay is extremely linear and obvious: Build as many metal extractors and factories as you can, build energy recharger things when you need them, and spam units from all types, than send them to attack in big waves.
The only "fun" in the game could possibly come from an illusion which is simulates, i.e. lots of explosions. It requires a lot of clicking in the early-game (mostly shift commands) and afterwards it just plays by itself, and you're just left with watching the battle, without actually having to make any real strategic decisions, as massing units from the highest tech you have always works best, and you'll never have to micro, since not only that it's impossible but infact the options for micro are highly limited.

Basically, if you want a real game, don't bother with SupCom, it will make you bored in the first 30 minutes of playing it, and you will than have to struggle for a few more hours to see any aspect of "fun" in it; again, unless you're the kind of person who has fun from clicking a few buttons and seeing a lot of explosions.

SupCom also tried to be creative, but it's the probably the most generic game I have ever seen. It's almost like the developers have no imagination at all. Every unit, building, ability, terrain feature, campaign mission, gameplay mechanic, it's all just the basic generic forms of what you'd expect: buildings that don't really differ from each other, units that play the same basic dull roles and look like copies from units from other games, only with more boring textures, terrain that doesn't affect the battlefield at all and looks like an attempt of recreation of real terrain.

All to it, SupCom is SimCity with more focus on killing. Macro, Attack-Move, Spam, and you won the battle.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:30 pm
Shortyland05

well, it looks like I aint buyin it then...

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:53 am
D-Man

Well I ain't gonna argue with AqoTrooper there, he has relevant points, yet it doesn't just sum up to spawning 'n' such. I mean, one of the reasons I like it is because you can out-maneuver (or at least try to) your enemy before he reaches the experimental units. It can really get hectic once you get into it. After all, your enemy can try spawning as many units as you, that doesn't mean you're both gonna win. And even if it may look so, units aren't total copies from the other races. Each has its minor differences that matter if on a larger scale. What many hate about this game is that they have too much to choose from to build, it just makes you throw it all to hell 'cause it's hard to decide what to go for.

But it all depends on what you're looking for in a game. For anyone that can handle the game, try the demo out first. Obviously, it's the best decision.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Fan Area » General Discussion » The Void
Jump to: