Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Project Revolution » Announcements
Starcraft II
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [60 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Sun May 20, 2007 3:46 am
Berry2K

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

Starcraft II
Now that everyone's stopped hammering the website and we can post again...

As I'm sure you've all heard Blizzard Entertainment has finally announced the long anticipated sequel to Starcraft! While we're all thrilled by the impressive footage released and can't wait to play what promises to be another hit Craft game, this does mean we have to reevaluate our own position as Project Revolution.

When Starcraft II is released, the Warcraft III engine on which Project Revolution works will be pretty much obsolete. As a rule game engines don't age very well and indeed this one has lasted for quite a while with still plenty of mods being actively developed. However, we're not quite there yet; the game has only just been announced after all, and we certainly hope to sneak in at least a partial release of Project Revolution before the new game comes around and stomps on our work for being outdated, superseded and definitely not next-gen.

But a new game and a new engine also open up possibilities. Starcraft II will have plenty of new goodness, but perhaps for a feeling of nostalgia, simple fun or -heaven forbid- just for a change some of us might come to want a return to some 'old' Starcraft for a while, but of course with the added spice of the new engine.

So what are we going to do? We don't know yet; we'll use the coming time to reassess our position and goals, but I can tell you one thing:
Hell, we ain't done yet!

Apologies to Blizzard for blatantly stealing their slogan, but considering we're stealing half their game.. well, sorry anyway

Sun May 20, 2007 5:09 am
reckoning

Level 5: Zergling
Level 5: Zergling

Starcraft II

It wont be release anytime soon, likely NEXT year. Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun May 20, 2007 5:46 am
lord_high_zergling

Level 1: SCV

Starcraft II

It doesn't matter if it takes three years to be released.. This is the most highly anticipated gaming event in the history of gaming. The announcement of StarCraft 2 turns the release of Halo 2 into a bunch of little kids on the sidewalk selling lemonade.
It is events like this that make grown men cry.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun May 20, 2007 6:19 am
DEMONSPIT77

Starcraft II

My whole life leads up to Starcraft 2, nothing else matters... I will more than likely dedicate the rest of my life to StarCraft 2, and die playing it... Till death do Sc2 apart.

On a side note I almost cried today, because out of anything in my life this is the onyl thing that has meaning, my bad relationships, and everythnig else mean nothing, starcraft 2 is my life now. I thank GOD that he allowed Blizzard to release StarCraft 2 becasue GOD is the only one that can make Starcraft!

Last edited by DEMONSPIT77 on Sun May 20, 2007 6:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Sun May 20, 2007 6:22 am
Dark Shadow

Level 16: Goliath

Starcraft II

Heck, sc2 is going to be sweet, but pr is something i can see coming b4 sc2,

but sumthing is bothering me, i read somewhere that sc2 has been indevelopment since wc3... is that true?

o and is it just me of was the site down?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun May 20, 2007 6:24 am
Naga_Warrior

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

server has been down off and on. : /

Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am
Ethereal[tuw]

Level 13: Vulture
Level 13: Vulture

You're kidding yourself if you think PR will have anything worthy of release before SC2 is out. Even when PR had a lot of active members, it was still slow progress. Sucks but it's true Sad

Sun May 20, 2007 11:18 am
jeroen84

Starcraft II

The release of Starcraft 2 will take at least another year. I can imagine it might even take another 2~3 years, knowing Blizzard.

I have the hope that PR will be ready (for a release version) somewhere this year. Very Happy

Sun May 20, 2007 11:48 am
Darkside007

Starcraft II

I know you guys are thinking, "Well, wtf, this is a waste now." (Hell, you said as much) but I see the launch of SC II as irrelevent to PR, and here's why:

Look at the Warcraft series. Not a single game was just the old game on a new engine. Same with Diablo and Diablo II. Hell, even Reign Of Chaos and The Frozen Throne have dramatic differences. In short, those who want to play Starcraft in 3-D will not be happy with Starcraft II.

Now, I have no illusions, Starcraft II will kick tons of ass, but it will not be Starcraft in 3-D. Project Revolution still has the same purpose it had originally: to modernize the greatest RTS in gaming history.

Until Blizzard announces a 'classic' mode to SC II, you guys still have a real purpose, and a real mod that a lot of people are looking forward too.

And think about this, if they do decide on a classic mode, who do you think they'll look at first?

Sun May 20, 2007 11:50 am
neonfish

Level 7: Medic
Level 7: Medic

Starcraft II

jeroen84 wrote:
The release of Starcraft 2 will take at least another year. I can imagine it might even take another 2~3 years, knowing Blizzard.

I have the hope that PR will be ready (for a release version) somewhere this year. Very Happy

it is sad ...but we have to be pessimistic Sad

This year ??? NONSENSE!!!
they just cant finnsh it with this kind of attitude."it s done when its done"
because they are not working on it constantly and they dont have a lot of members.
maybe the PR team should have release cycles like linux distributions ...they also have bugs and not working thinks or unavailable options.
Personaly I would love to see this project released in any form.Pr team also should use this Starcraftish wibe to release something that should appear on the SCL main page.That is very important I think.

Sun May 20, 2007 3:47 pm
SeraphsWitness

Level 8: Hydralisk

Starcraft II

DEMONSPIT77 wrote:
My whole life leads up to Starcraft 2, nothing else matters... I will more than likely dedicate the rest of my life to StarCraft 2, and die playing it... Till death do Sc2 apart.

On a side note I almost cried today, because out of anything in my life this is the onyl thing that has meaning, my bad relationships, and everythnig else mean nothing, starcraft 2 is my life now. I thank GOD that he allowed Blizzard to release StarCraft 2 becasue GOD is the only one that can make Starcraft!

You are truly a master. I concur whole-heartedly.

And yes, they've been working on SC2 since 2003, they said. That included pre-production I'm sure, which is a good 6 months at least before even touching a computer.

And PR would have more members if the leaders payed more attention to those looking to join. People wait days and weeks to have their stuff looked at or their posts responded to. Enthusiasm to be part of the team gets quickly lost when it appears that nobody really cares about you joining.

I think if PR would forget about doodads and crap for a while, and just try to get something playable out quickly, it would be worth it. Most of the race models are done, aren't they? What is there left to really do? Programming? I guess I'm confused as to what is taking so long.

I don't want lame college-student excuses. I'm a college student and I have a full-time job. Just tell us where we are and what we can expect to see, and when.

Sun May 20, 2007 5:45 pm
Naga_Warrior

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

So what are we going to do? We don't know yet; we'll use the coming time to reassess our position and goals

...I think that says it perfectly..

Sun May 20, 2007 5:59 pm
TerranUp16

You guys, from what I know, have been in contact with Blizzard, and have some sort of a relationship with them. Developers have been known to include goodies in their pre-orders (BfMe 2 gave beta access, WC3 gave the Lord of the Clans book, etc...). Perhaps, if PR could be completed in time, a CD copy of PR could be included with every pre-order of SC2. Sure, the mod would still be downloadable online, but with the CD included it would reach a vastly greater audience, and it would help tide people over until SC2. For Blizzard, it might even revive some sales of WC3.

Sun May 20, 2007 6:07 pm
COOLer

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

Starcraft II

TerranUp16 wrote:
You guys, from what I know, have been in contact with Blizzard, and have some sort of a relationship with them. Developers have been known to include goodies in their pre-orders (BfMe 2 gave beta access, WC3 gave the Lord of the Clans book, etc...). Perhaps, if PR could be completed in time, a CD copy of PR could be included with every pre-order of SC2. Sure, the mod would still be downloadable online, but with the CD included it would reach a vastly greater audience, and it would help tide people over until SC2. For Blizzard, it might even revive some sales of WC3.

Most contact we have had is that we know that the staff on bnet fourm know we exists.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun May 20, 2007 7:08 pm
SeraphsWitness

I think that idea is quite a pipe dream, although it would be pretty cool. Wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Sun May 20, 2007 8:31 pm
guyofgames

Starcraft II

That would be amazing and makes sense. Too bad it would never happen though... :/

Anyway PR team please release a preview of the game. Just from the screenshots I've seen the game looks amazing and face it It will take years before you can "perfect" it for release.

Mon May 21, 2007 2:18 am
Dark Shadow

You know when i saw Starcraft 2 i was like WOW THIS IS AWESOME, then i started thinking that some of the units look like they are in PR, so i went to the Pr website and i was suprised when I was unable to acces it... So my brain started thinking things and well I thought that the PR developpers have been working for blizzard or blizzard took over the project (it made sense at the time some of those units looks pr like)

And is it just me or is the site allot more active than normal...

Mon May 21, 2007 2:22 am
COOLer

Snowflake Entertainment
Snowflake Entertainment

Starcraft II

Dark Shadow wrote:
You know when i saw Starcraft 2 i was like WOW THIS IS AWESOME, then i started thinking that some of the units look like they are in PR, so i went to the Pr website and i was suprised when I was unable to acces it... So my brain started thinking things and well I thought that the PR developpers have been working for blizzard or blizzard took over the project (it made sense at the time some of those units looks pr like)

And is it just me or is the site allot more active than normal...

Staff is back from exams thats why.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon May 21, 2007 3:39 am
SeraphsWitness

Idk, seems conveniently close to the announcement of SC2.... Wink

Mon May 21, 2007 12:54 pm
Dogfather

Starcraft II

This is by far the coolest announcement to happen from Blizzard. For years now, Blizzard's big announcements were: WoW Patch 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 so and and so forth, The Burning Crusade, then a few other mindless addictions. However with the announcement of Starcraft II, you have to stand in awe because there isn't a single person on the planet who can full-heartedly say 'I would prefer there not be a Starcraft II.'

Though the awesomeness prevails, it will come with a loss. I played WoW for two years on a machine that barely scrapes acceptable on the performance. It was choppy and laggy. Starcraft II will most likely be the same way. Judging by all the polygons visible in one of the zergling screenshots, it will make most mediocre computers run rather slowly.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [60 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Project Revolution » Announcements
Jump to: