Log in  Profile - Memberlist - Usergroups - Log in to check your private messages
Register - Search

Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Doodad Contest Questions & Advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:48 am
X-SOLDIER

Second Project Revolution Biweekly Doodad Contest

This topic is where the Contestants can post images and progress of their models for advice. You don't need to include poly count or anything like that if you wish to keep it a secret until you post your final model. If your not participating, but have other questions pertaining to the contest - This is the place. If you wish to create a separate thread for your model (especially if you're new to this) please feel free. The modelers around here are very knowledgeable, and are glad to help out however they can. Please look over the Rules before posting so that we can keep things constructive.

Rules:

• Please be aware that stealing textures, models, etc. is unacceptable and will result in a ban or other appropriate punishment as determined by the site administration.
• If you are displeased with an aspect of the contest, or feel that the above rule has been broken, please PM me, and I will have it taken care of ASAP.
• This topic is for the Contestants to get advice & suggestions for their models, and everyone to be able to ask questions pertaining to the contest, so please - No off topic posting.
• Don't post any "_____'s model is better than yours." or "_____ is totally going to win." We want to keep this a friendly competition. If you want to compare models and give advice, only compare the individual's model to the SC sprite. Leave the model to model comparisons to the judges.
• If you wish to make a model that's not in the contest, just for the sake of doing so and helping out, please create a separate thread.
• Best of luck!

X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:50 pm
X-SOLDIER

Aikanaro wrote:
That's bizarre. This contest looks exactly like the old one.

Didn't you say this before?:

Quote:
Again, thanks a TON for the mountain of feedback, and I'll make sure to focus a lot of that into the next contest - which I'll hopefully be working on this weekend. I will also announce the contest a few days early so that people have a chance to know about it before it's under way.

None of CrackerJason23's suggestions were taken seriously. Not to mention, they were great ideas, and would've helped a lot.

- Aikanaro

Since this is the thread where it's supposed to be discussed, I'll post my reply here. Due to the fact that you posted there, and not in this topic, I'll assume you didn't read the topic as it had a redirect here. If you think I didn't take his suggestions seriously, please look a bit more closely at the contest then Aik. I don't mean to come off as sounding rude, but there's been a lot of changes, and I'm still working my ass off on this.

CrackerJason23 wrote:
1. It's been 4 days since the deadline, and no winners have been oficially announced. Two of the three categories only had one person "competing," so announcing a winner is not really necessary, but it would make it seem more official.

1. - There's a specific date set for the winners to be announced.

CrackerJason23 wrote:
2. To keep up with the progress, I had to read like seven different threads, plus this one (each artist's thread (4), the official contest thread with two posts, the announcement thread and the help thread). The final models and skins weren't posted in the contest thread, which I think would be apropriate. Consolidating some of these threads would make the project easier to follow.

2. - Since the Contest Topic isn't locked this time, I have access to edit it, and post the final models in there. There's also an ENTIRE subforum JUST for the contest to consolidate the contest work and help people keep track of things.

CrackerJason23 wrote:
3. Find more modelers. Advertise in more places. Get more than 4 "contestants."

3. - Advertisement. You'll notice that I posted an update here, on ModDB, and I got a news announcement up on SCLegacy the before the contest was put up. Response is up to who wants to participate, but I honestly put a lot more into getting word out about this one. If you have any more suggestions on where to put up info, let me know, and I will.

CrackerJason23 wrote:
4. If you're worried about doodad quality, as yoda is, maybe making deadlines isn't the way to go. Would it be possible to list every doodad that needs completion, and award prizes once an artists completes a doodad that is up to yoda's standards? You could just make a giant post, list every doodad that needs finishing (in groups like these bones were), and update it as different artists sign up for different doodads. You could then make the contest like the tickets at Chuck E. Cheese: One good doodad set gets you a screenshot, three get you two screenshots, five get you the video early, ten get you a guaranteed spot in the beta test, and so on. Like the tickets that get you the rubber bouncy balls and the plastic army men. Then, each artist can post his or her progress in his or her own thread, linked from the main thread, and you can harass/critique/motivate each artist individually. Think they're going too slowly? Assign a different artist to the same task. Think their doodad is sucking? Assign a different artist to the same task. Competition breeds faster and better production (see: wikipedia). Update the main thread with a new post whenever an artist completes a doodad set (listing how many they've completed so far) and remove it from the list.

4. - I narrowed the number of categories and advertised more to try and have some competition my way. If you want to work on an uncompleted Doodad - Adam's still got his whole huge post out in Anybody's Art. Feel free to take one of those, and go to town. Also - keep in mind, I'm just going with what I have to work with which is whoever I can get a hold of on the team in my spare time. Also, we don't have enough modellers here to currently give me any sort of motivation to work with Adam on finding out every Doodad that's been done, update his list, attach a Tri count, and keep track of them all. Maybe one day if I have access to all of that info myself, and a more reliable internet connection, and a lot more spare time, but not until then. I'm not saying his suggestion's a bad idea, as it's a VERY good one, it's just WAY more of a hastle than it's worth at this point.

CrackerJason23 wrote:
5. Making a new gallery section when Berry gets back from vacation for the fan-made doodads is a great idea. It should probably be organized into tilesets.

5. - As you'll notice from my post, it's under construction. I can't really do any more than ask Berry what's going on with it when I have the chance.

X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:06 am
Aikanaro

Hey X-Soldier.

My commentary was more of a complaint, than a question. I did read the whole topic before making that statement. It was a protest directed at the contest itself, and not a question regarding the rules.

To be frank, not a lot of huge things were changed. Rules are clearer, and winners will be announced. That's not a fraction of what was suggested. The problem stands. There aren't enough contestants, and the number will probably not grow that much. It's likely that most if not all of the doodads that are a result of this, will not make it to the game either.

You have a great idea here, and it could work wonders if properly applied. I don't blame this entirely upon your shoulders either. I think there should be more support from some PR members a like.

The idea I consider the best is 4).

First off, dead-lines won't get you anywhere. We're not here to see who's the best. We're here to help this grow. There's a lot of people who'd probably like to help. However, I'm sure plenty of them are not going to bother working against the clock. Especially that, we could be busy during the first 3 quarters or more.

Screenshots as prizes is definitely not going to win the hearts of many. It shouldn't be something we have to beg for, even less win in a contest. It's insulting more than anything else. The list of prices CrackerJason23 suggested could probably work out better, and get more people on this. I'm well aware you don't decide that, so I don't expect this to necessarily work.

We don't need a list of all uncompleted doodads either. I'd say 50-100 doodads should be fine. Remove the dead-line and add more interesting prizes, and we are good to go. I'm sure that'll boost the activity up.
'Course, I understand you'll have to talk with PR members for that to happen. I'd also have to point out that IT IS worth the hassle. It might just make the difference.

Great to hear about the advertisement being done. That'll help lots.

Sorry if I was rude myself. You've done an excelent job preparing the contest, and I wouldn't want you to think otherwise. Great initiative on your part.

- Aikanaro

Reply with quote Back to top 
Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:11 am
X-SOLDIER

Understandable Aik, and I do agree where you're coming from. Ideally having something set up in the manner that CJ23 suggested would be great. The main idea around bringing up the contest was that though screenshots aren't a big prize in some people's mind it's still something and more than that, it's a chance to show the Team what you can do, and help out. On forums there's little that you can do outside of something like images, cutsom user titles, avatars, and little trophies.

Another thing that the Contest is trying to help, is see who all IN the community would/could/will participate, and hopefully bring in some more people who can contribute. Once we have a slightly larger, or at least know who we've got in the community that can do this, it would make more sense to do something like CJ23 suggested. If we know that there are capable people who can give advice and tips to make sure that the submitted doodads will make it in, that'll help. The team people don't always have time to check in, but if we've got some other people who can give good advice like them, then we'll be better off. It'll likely help the Team in looking at Con status, etc.

Right now, we've got quite a few beginners which is great, cause in a Contest, we've got a group that can all learn by looking at each other's models and improving their own techniques, and afterwards get suggestions right from the Team since there's only a few models, and everyone knows when it's happening. This let's everyone's efforts stay focused, so our beginners can get specific tips and get better, and our Advanced people can learn more about what sort of things the Team looks for specifically. This way we've got a general standard set within the community to what the Team's looking for, and the way to make it up to PR quality.

That way if we can eventually make it more open ended, we've got more people in house to give tips, and help out even when the PR Members are busy. If at some point, I can get around to making a list of Doodads that need to be done, or help Adam update his, I will, but it takes a rather surprising amount of time. There's a lot of work that's been done internally by the Cons to my understanding (as some doodads that I've suggested as entries have been completed), and it'll be tough to find out which ones are open for work.

I've got a general idea on what I can do with this, and what the guys in PR have been letting me do has been great. By all means I honestly do read the criticisms, and take them into account, and I'd like things to get bigger and better. I didn't want this coming off as a 'Hey would you like to come help Snowflake finish their mod faster' type thing (though I'm sure it would have drawn some people :p ) but more of a 'show us what you've got.'

Eventually (god and the team willing), this contest will be more open, and we can have a larger amount of what was going on back when Contributor status first came around. For most everyone who was here, that was really a cool time when the community and the team had a lot more communication and interaction. If I could get it to that point, I'd be a very happy person.

Again, no hard feelings, cause I can see where you're coming from.

X

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:34 pm
Guessed

Quote:
we have a slightly larger, or at least know who we've got in the community that can do this, it would make more sense to do something like CJ23 suggested.
It seems like it would be just the opposite. Right now, when there are few people, you are having several people work on each doodad. Several people per doodad would make sense if there were more people than doodads.

As the contest stands, there will be a fixed number of screenshots released, whether three of ten people enter. With the screenshot-per-doodad system, it would depend on how many people worked on them. That would make the screenshot-hungry community have some stake in how many people worked on doodads, and could make them themselves seek out people to work on doodads.

And if quality would be a concern (which makes sense), you could just get some judge like yoda to reject whatever was too bad.

Nice job organizing the contest in general, though. Whichever way you end up taking this, you're adding nicely to the pile of doodads.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:20 am
X-SOLDIER

Issue therein lying would be the need for one of the project members to be taking out of their time working on other parts of the project to watch over the doodads. Contests are to help people get to the point where they don't have to worry about them being rejected, and bringing in people who are talented, and can help out. Also consider - if I did switch straight over to the other way of doing things, it'd leave things dead for a long time.

My idea behind the contest was to get some more communication between the team and member modelers like the critiques. Hopefully they give a lot of specifics that other people will be able to reference. It also allows the team members to know when to set aside time to check things out, as many like Edfishy don't have the fastest internet connection, and don't browse the forums as much, The way thing are looking, soon we'll probably get to the point where we can just make a basic list of 20 or so Doodads with Tri counts, and have the exchange program working with some good results. It's one of the things that I'm trying to work out on the side since it requires a lot of communication with the team to get all the needed information though, so you'll probably have a couple other contest to test the water for what types of Doodads we can handle.

X

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:11 pm
X-SOLDIER

Quick reminder that the Contest is only up for a few more days. (I am currently working on some improvements to make the new version work out inbetween my time at ModDB).

X

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:54 am
CrackerJason23

Level 4: Marine

I love Adam_Ant's thread. Adam_Ant's thread is my favorite. Way to go X-SOLDIER and Adam_Ant.

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Back to top 
Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:18 am
X-SOLDIER

Hey thanks! It's been a while CJ23, Nice to see you're still around. Glad to see what you think of the new layout. Your suggestions before helped quite a bit. We're still pretty quiet other than the occasional jumpy activity, but there's some work still happening. If you've got any more good advice, please let us know Wink

X

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:37 pm
CrackerJason23

Well, if you insist! I was gone for a month or so, and when I came back I had to look pretty hard for this sub-forum. It only exists to members that are logged in! I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but a front page announcement would make it easier for people responding to your advertising to find where they're supposed to go (it can be frustrating to look for a forum that doesn't exist). Also, this same announcement can describe the changes that have been made to the doodad volunteer system, possibly attracting other PR fans who haven't yet found this forum. I personally think this deserves to be its own forum instead of a sub-forum of Anybody's Art, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Since it's a dedicated forum, there's plenty of room for everyone to work.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] View previous topicView next topic
 Forum index » Fan Area » Applications & Donations » Contest Forums
Jump to: