Wc3C.net

Wc3C.net (http://www.wc3c.net/forums.php)
-   Map / Campaign Projects (http://www.wc3c.net/forumdisplay.php?f=578)
-   -   Defenders of Pandaria (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=98530)

MoCo 01-09-2008 08:13 PM

Defenders of Pandaria

8 Attachment(s)
Hey!

I'm happy to announce that this project has been revived and will be continued! :panda:

DEFENDERS OF PANDARIA

Story/Background:

It's a defense/RPG map that takes place in the idyllic lands of Pandaria.

The well known Chen Stormstout has become old and travelled back to Mikari, the village of his childhood. He want's to take a seat, enjoy the rest of his life and just brew some ale.
Unfortunately, it seems, that a new threat has arrived to the lands of Pandaria. Creatures that once were peacefully are gettin mad and well known things are getting more and more strange.
Dark portals have spawned all over the lands and hostile forces start trying to invade Pandaria.
But what do they seek? Why do they threaten these peaceful lands?
The small village of Mikari is the first encounter for the invasion. If Mikari falls, whole Pandaria might fall into a new darkness.

The hope of Pandaria lies on 6 young heroes, guided by the wisdom and experience of Chen, that will face the dark menace and will stand bravely to defend Mikari and whole Pandaria:
The tough sumo Lo'Wang, the swift ninja Kira, the hotheaded tigerian berserker Jubei, the ale-loving monk Boseiju and the wise but distracted mage Tai'Cheng.

It is on your, to keep and restore the peace for Pandaria!

Specs:

- fast paced rpg flavoured defense gameplay
- 1-6 players (3 recommended)
- mmorpg inspired character classes (tank, healer, damage dealer, hybrids etc.)
- detailled and beautiful terrain
- easy to get into, but challenging combat
- 4 difficulty modes
- attribute based spells
- completly written in jass
- health- & mana indicators
- hero talk/comment system
- a huge bunch of custom content

Some Features in Detail

The power of Abilties directly depends on the hero's attributes
This offers a smooth increase of hero powers and makes ability balancing a lot easier in some ways, especially when deciding to change the hero max levels.

Character classes design
It has a high focus on team play. Each character is equipped with spells that fit his role in the group. Combat situations need quite a lot of micro-management and spells have to be used frequently.

Hero Talk System
Depending on triggered events, quests or just randomly, the heroes will give some comments or talk about things.
One the one hand, this is meant to push the story, on the other hand, it's supposed to add a certain amount of humor to the map with some funny dialogs and comments etc. and it should add more character-depth to the heroes.
Because interrupting the game with cinematics/breaks can be very annoying, the hero comments will be realized with game text messages and floating text.

Heroes in Detail

Lo'Wang (Sumo)
Abilities: Heroic Strike, ???, Battleshout, Spirit of Pandaria, Taunt, ???
Characteristics: the inofficial leader of the group, brave personality, uses proverbs if possible

Boseiju (Monk)
Abilities: Healing Touch, Holy Nova, Shield, Shadowword Pain, Fear
Characteristics: he's a big fan of beer and ale of any kind..

Kira (Ninja)
Abilities: Deadly Strike, Fan of Knives, Cheap Shot, Backstab, Stealth, Sprint, ???
Characteristics: very beautiful (for pandaren taste), very impatient, always seeks to be in front of the action

Tai'Cheng (Elemental Mage)
Abilities: Lightning Storm, Lightning Elemental, Mana-Shield, ???
Characteristics: very easy to fascinate, distracted, a bit like the mage of the gummybears

Jubei (Tigeran Beserker)
Abilities: Brutal Strike, Call Yosh (his tiger companion), Fangs of the Tiger, Berserk, Yosh: Call back, Yosh: Attack Order
Characteristics: searching for some fun, doesn't take things too serious, also can get very angry, relies more on feeling than brain
update: He has a pet now, the mighty tiger Yosh. The tiger will automatically follow and guide the hero as in wow, but can be given basic orders.

Feylon (Druid)
Abilities: Sunfire, Rejuvenation, , MOTW(?), Bear(?) Form, ???, ???
Characteristics: ???
update: I'm currently on hope that someone will make a cool model for this character..

I'll add more information and more up-to-date screenshots as soon as I find the time.
Since the map is still in development state, all things are subject to change of course.

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome and appreciated!

Tiku 01-10-2008 12:45 AM

Sounds quite nice, umm, so i'm guessing everyone can only be 1 type of hero, Ex: Only 1 person can be the warrior right?

So yeah, not bad at all, and nice storyline...

Chen will just be a person you can talk to right?

PenguinEmperor 01-10-2008 02:55 AM

I'd have used the Fall tileset. And bamboo doodads.

MoCo 01-10-2008 11:23 AM

Chen will be something like a Mentor. He'll give quests and hints but also will be part of the storyline.
I've thinked about multiple instance of hero classes. Maybe I add this possibility incl. 8 player support later. But for story reasons, it has advantages for every hero to be individual.

Pyrogasm 01-11-2008 10:43 AM

Panda UI

MoCo 01-11-2008 01:16 PM

I've already used it and it fits great. Because of the large amount of space it takes I've removed it but it breaks my heart not to use it.

Right now, the filesize is about ~3.5MB after map optimization without the gui (whats definitely a lot0 for the early state of development), but I'll think about ways to get it back in.
Maybe it could be an optional external resource for the map, or I try to remove some of the other custom stuff..

DukeCz 01-12-2008 06:09 PM

look there http://hilton.vs.oiccam.com/showthre...677#post942677 blinkboy uploaded there compressed UI (smaller filesize)

Fluff 01-12-2008 09:42 PM

I like those buildings. After the UI is added it will have nice Asian feel.

:emote_thumbup:

MoCo 01-13-2008 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info, I updated the screenshots, now using Panda GUI.

unwirklich 01-16-2008 06:34 PM

:emote_grin:

good luck. i hope you get this finished^^

MoCo 01-16-2008 08:00 PM

There are just 1.000.000 things I have to do in real life right now.
- so why shouldn't I finish it? ;) but it may take some time of course..
Thanks for the really cool interface. I'm gonna keep this post up-to-date with some new screens over time.

Tide-Arc Ephemera 01-16-2008 08:05 PM

That's pretty good so far, I like it. The third screen shot made me lol, dunno why, it was random, though... Death seemed to be so cheery.

MoCo 01-23-2008 11:25 PM

First I just wanted the dying aspect to be a bit more unusual. Now it seems that Death will play his own small role in the storyline. So maybe your heroes won't only meet him, when they die..

MoCo 02-13-2008 02:33 PM

Hey again,
this project isn't dead so far, but if someone is interested in contributing, please feel free to contact me. I definitely can use someone helping with the design and creation of quests since I'm really busy with study and rl the next time..

skopetski 03-04-2008 07:03 AM

I want more!

This seems like an excellent lan-map! i can't wait until it's done, keep up the good work! :panda: