Wc3C.net

Wc3C.net (http://www.wc3c.net/forums.php)
-   Unique models (http://www.wc3c.net/forumdisplay.php?f=631)
-   -   Blood Elf / High Elf Buildings (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=109919)

SinisterX 11-18-2010 03:01 PM

Blood Elf / High Elf Buildings

1 Attachment(s)
Hello there people of Wc3Campaigns,

It's been a long time since I've posted here, mostly because I haven't been modding. Over the years I received a ton of PMs asking me about my old Blood Elf building models. The truth is I was really not modding anymore and I really didn't like those models.

I've always believed that Wc3 has its own style (toyish and simplistic) and that 'WoWafiying' models isn't my thing. So instead of doing my buildings based on WoW, I decided to mix them with what we saw in Wc3 and do a new style that is still similar.

Of course I did these for my personal pleasure and using my latest philosophy of 'Soul food models' I came up with these:

They are all done from scratch have extremely small file size and use no custom skins. On a technical level, I'm also quite pleased with them. Instead of having 1 separate model for each stage, they are bundled together with their update animations like the original Wc3 models. So that's 1 file for the tower and 1 file for the castles, and since they are done from scratch they are considerably smaller file size than their human counterparts. Even the Altar, that looks quite a lot like the Human altar was made from scratch and is quite small in file size.

Now, as to how they look. I never really finished them. All castle stages still need small windows. Stage 1 and 2, still need additional details to make them pop. The towers are pretty much done and is the only finalized model. The altar needs a considerable amount of tweaks. It's missing to braziers (from a version I lost) and I haven't decided on the actual statue or ring.

Anyways I wanted to share these images with you and depending on my time I might release these individually instead of waiting to finish off the entire pack. There will also be BE doodad pack with these.

deolrin 11-18-2010 08:02 PM

Oh wow, those are great! In fact, I really think you should release them. This would perhaps bring SOME life back into WC3C, although it seems like many moderators have abandoned or forgotten it.

Also, how about releasing your other great models? For example:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=94129 (I was always looking forward to it)
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=93845
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=87936

And whatever other old models you have around. I've always seen you as one of the best modelers for Warcraft 3 and you did some nifty stuff during the golden age of WC3. You're a personal inspiration source of mine. ^^

I wish you good luck with your life and whatever you are doing ever since you left modding, though.

SinisterX 11-18-2010 08:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words Deolrin,

As the years have passed I have realized that about 70% of my models stayed in my vault without ever seeing the light of day. Many are simple, many are specialized for my needs. But almost of them could have some use.

I'll try to release many of these in the next month or so. I will be releasing a lot of the stuff, that was finished years ago. I also have a few neat models that I want to share (Human chapel, Elven militia, human catapults, Elven destroyer among a few).

And I can't promise that I'll finish the full Blood Elf Building set, but I'll try to do so.

-Cheers

Michael Peppers 11-22-2010 01:32 AM

Gosh-diddly-darn, those are amazing! Those models of yours may indeed bring some new life here on wc3c.

Also, i like how you're obsessed by Blood Elves too :emote_wink:

Balnnazar 12-02-2010 01:30 AM

Wow, those models look amazing!

TaShadan 12-16-2010 01:02 AM

awesome!

hayatesasaki 12-17-2010 04:43 AM

ZOMG!!!!! omg!!! plz plz plz plz plz plz plz PLZ post soon!!! I am actually making a blood elf race and I was using your old high elf building models but these are so much better! I'm such a new to modeling i would have done it myself but just don know where to start. But I have been following your work and can easily say that you are an inspiration of mine ^^ So plz keep it up!! 10/5

Red-Bones Ghoul 12-17-2010 10:17 PM

I think you should make the crystals green.

Kalidroms 02-24-2011 12:39 PM

Bumping this up!

Any update so far?

stifler102 04-19-2011 07:05 PM

these are great! any chance they'll be released?

wowcraft 06-19-2011 02:36 PM

I still hope you are working on these. Those buildings would of been an epic release for the warcraft 3 community. Hope to see some of your future works.

SinisterX 06-25-2011 04:16 PM

I've been out of the loop for a while now. I have not been working on models for years, but looking at these buildings is like a little thorn in my side. I really do want to release these buildings.. but I want them to be finished properly and according to my new standards.

The idea behind these buildings was to use existing game resources, to minimize filesize and maximize effect. They also had to "fit" into Wc3-TFT style.. they were never meant to be representations of WoW depictions, rather reconcile and have a middle ground.

I am reconsidering working on these models again.. but it will be a painful task. If any of the old modders are still out there, who have worked with me.. or talked to me. Please contact me and lets see if we can work something out.

I'll try and track down these models through my files and see if I can get them out.. at least one by one.

Cheers to All
-SinisterX

deolrin 06-25-2011 04:45 PM

I never talked to you or worked with you, but I know my stuff with model-editing and such. I'm not a very good modeler or anything, but if you need any help, I'll be glad to provide it. Just ask in this tread, or add me on Skype. My nickname is the same as here.

SinisterX 06-26-2011 05:24 PM

Alright then, well we can work here.. I think it will be good because it might bring back some life into the forums.

So let me specify exactly what my parameters are:

-Low File size
-Use of In-game resources
-Style consistent for WC3 and TFT

Sure a lot of people may say.. "well why don't you use custom textures, it will look much better."

My answer rude answer is "because I don't want to.." ;)

My proper answer is; "because using custom textures increases number of files to be imported, increases overall file size of the maps, and generates a whole range of issues that I want to purposely avoid. I want these models to be used by people who just have to import them and not worry about anything else, I want them to be up to standards with Blizzard, and I want them to be small enough to not increase file size in maps."

So can it be done? Yes. I've done it before with units.. and it is specially possible for game structures.

Deolrin, you are much too modest i've seen your work over the years and its top notch. ;)

SinisterX 06-26-2011 05:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My first issue is with my Elf Tower. From afar the model looks fine, but ingame its missing something. Because I want these models to share some similarities with their human counterparts, I think the side-door present on human towers would solve the problem. (also add a base.. which I did not add)

However, before we do anything of the sort. There is one issue.. actually one issue among several others.

The tower file size i currently somewhere around 250k.. this is considerably more than the actual human tower.

Now.. the reason i'm guessing (can't remember right now) is because I might have base my elf tower off a magic tower model. These models tend to be large because of animation effects.

So.. we can either, export all the geosets of this tower and reassemble it in a smaller file (base model). The issue here is that.. while this wont be an issue for the observation tower, attack tower 1 and 2.. it will be for the magic tower (because it would have an animation).

Do you have any ideas on how to get around this issue? maybe create a standing particle effect that might allow us to forgo the animation?